6/15/15

Simplicity

|
I smiled when I read Noelle's comment, "Summer is for simplicity" on my recent post because I felt like she had been reading my mind. Maybe it's because summer is in the air, but I've been constantly thinking about ways to simplify everything from my personal style to my blogging schedule. Today I'm sharing a few specific strategies I'm working on to motivate myself, and hopefully some will resonate with you, too.


1. Simplified Style
Rachelle is another blogger who is on the same wavelength here because just last week she wrote, "It took me awhile to realize that really you just need to stick to items you love and are comfortable in. It makes dressing easier and helps you define your style." I might put this mantra as the background on my phone and computer for all the times I'm browsing blogs or Instagram and being tempted by the latest trend. While it won't give me the most diverse wardrobe, I think will simplify my life and that's what I'm after. In terms of this blog it means my signature outfit formulas (explained here and here) will stay on repeat, because that's what I "love and am comfortable in."

ONE: Jacket: Express / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Target (black sold out online) / Pink Crossbody: Express (Similar) /

TWO: Top: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society / Belt: Gap / Watch: Fossil / Necklace: Express

THREE: Jacket: LOFT / Tee: Old Navy / Jeans: Express / Flats: Sole Society /Necklace: Express

FOUR: Top: Express / Jeans: Express / Shoes: Sole Society / Necklace: Express


2. Multi-Tasking Outfit Planning
I don't know about you, but some days it can take me way too long to get my outfit together because I want to try on three different pairs of shoes, four different jackets and two different necklaces to decide which one I like best before heading out the door. It can be ridiculously time consuming and it's one area I really want to simplify. (Not to mention my family really wants me to simplify because they are tired of waiting for me when I say I'm "almost ready!!") I do a lot of outfit planning for blog posts, and it's essential for me now to make sure it counts as real-life outfit planning too.

When I first started doing Inspired-Style blog posts, I chose outfits based on whether I had the pieces in my closet and whether it made a fun post. Sometimes (e.g. my Nicole Richie post) I would try outfits I knew I wouldn't personally wear just to fit the content. I've always been up front about whether something was a try-on or a real outfit, but the "try-on only"outfits are becoming a thing of the past because it's just not a good use of my time.  Now I make it a point to pick outfits that I will really wear, then I wear them within a week or two of the post so that my planning time fully pays off. That's exactly what I did with my Tee Time Post on June 1. I wore one of the outfits the same day I created the post, and in the same week I also wore the pants version of this outfit as shared in my recap here.


Tee: Target  / Jeans: Express /  Shorts: J Crew / Necklace: Express / Watch: Fossil / Bag: Target (Similar) / Wedges: Vince Camuto "Luciah" (Similar) / Flat Sandals: Old Navy (Gold Sold Out)

I also just added an outfit planning section to my Friday posts (here), to give myself a list of outfits to choose from with no shopping or planning required. I'm hoping it helps me shop less to see that I already have "new outfits" waiting for me to wear.


3. No Apologies 
I think bloggers in particular have gotten used to feeling compared/inferior to so many other bloggers who have the ability (for a variety of reasons) to share All New Everything on a regular basis. And those of us who don't do that start feeling compelled to apologize for repeating anything at all. I personally decided I'm just not going to do this anymore. Not even #sorrynotsorry. Whether I repeat a favorite item, an outfit formula, or an entire outfit exactly the way I wore it before, there won't be an apology attached. These are my clothes, the point of owning them is to wear them repeatedly! They're not tissues that I use once and throw away. There's nothing to be sorry about.

* * *

This whole simplifying movement is really all over the place. Two of my real-life friends recently read Marie Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and are on de-cluttering kicks and have. Then over the weekend two more people I follow on social media mentioned they were reading this book too! I need to know what the fuss is about with this and I'm already in the right mindset, so I downloaded it over the weekend and am hoping it gives me some more ideas and motivation to keep going. If you've read the book or are feeling the Summer Simplicity vibes I'd love to hear what changes you're making!



Linking up with:



Linkup Button






PLEASE NOTE THE UPDATED GUIDELINES FOR THE LINK UP!
  • All post(s) added to the link-up MUST have a link back to both hosts (More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express). 
  • Please do not link back to us on a separate page of your blog. Any post without a link back to the hosts within that exact post will be deleted without notice. 
  • We are using considerable page space week after week within our posts to host your links and images. The updated guidelines keep this link-up equally beneficial for the hosts and participants and we appreciate your cooperation.
As always, any topic is fine and thanks for linking up!


CONVERSATION

30 comments:

  1. I have heard such good things about that book! We've been on a de cluttering kick for a while, ever since we started clearing out a room to be baby's nursery. I'm a lot more open to letting things go now. I still have a long way to go, I have so many clothes! But I am trying to downsize and simplify. Outfit formulas and capsule wardrobe are great for that! :)

    I really liked your last point too - people do repeat things all the time, it's just life! Just shows how much we like things :) I'm proud to show all the different ways I have been wearing things on my blog - might give other people ideas for how to try something different with things they own :)

    Thank you for the link up!


    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the idea of simplifying your wardrobe and your life in general. I'm a minimalist at heart so I always go back to that. It's so easy go get caught up with what someone else is doing in the blogging world that you forget what's right for you. Your simple outfit formula works and I seriously never feel bored seeing all of the combinations you come up with. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Gina! The mint tee with white is one of my favorites and love your rule about not apologizing anymore - totally agree!
    XO
    Carrie and Stacy
    CS Gems

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally never get tired of seeing your outfits, you always look beautiful. I'm all for not apologizing as well, blogging can be such a trap at spending money on things you don't even need. Often we lose the purpose of fashion blogging which in my opinion is to show people how to build a good wardrobe and make use of what they have.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great insights Gina - simplicity is always king for me!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this! I needed to hear it. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes trying to come up with "new" and "fresh" outfits to blog, and it can often lead to putting something together I just don't feel comfortable in. Not to mention the pressure to shop, when all I really want is to streamline and consolidate my closet. I'm going to try not to do that anymore, and just blog stuff everyone has seen a million times - but that I love to wear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so true. Rule #1 for me is to feel good in what I am wearing. Also, wearing the same outfit or rexim an item is definitely more creative. I have absolutely no problem with it, or if someone is wearing a different outfit every day. Either way is good as long if it works for ourselves. Great outfits and tips!

    -Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have thought about blogging and the pressure of having all new things to share a while back. Even bloggers are real and real people don't wear and ditch. So, I just wear. I do, however feel pressured of showing what I wear daily because if I do, I'd be sharing tees and jeans all the time! So, I just share the good stuff.. stuff I wear on my dress up days which sums up to once a week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your style and never get tired of seeing your outfits! If you love it, you should wear it!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's easy to get caught up in buying the newest item since fast fashion is so quick now days. I can't wait to hear your review on this book and how it translate for you in real life.

    Alice
    www.happpinessatmidlife.com

    Would love to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, you have to just stick with what works for you! Your style is one I can totally relate to and could pretty much put myself in all of your outfits!

    Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I think this is why I tend to stay away from prints and really bright colors, it makes for a more easily mixable and wearable wardrobe. It's funny that bloggers feel this way because the reality is that bloggers and non-bloggers alike all face the same things so we might as well help each other out and share in remixing our wardrobe. I like the no apologies approach. The funny thing is (as we have talked about in the past) no one but you even realizes you are rewearing your clothes. I love your blog because it is real and your outfits are wearable yet so stylish!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...it cracks me up when someone says "I've worn this SOOOO many times." I'm always like, "You have??" Then they'll go ahead and prove it with previous outfit examples and I'm reminded just one more time how much we all over-focus on this for ourselves.

      Delete
  13. My style is pretty simple so I stick to that!! I don't do bright colours or loud prints etc. Love the looks you showed above :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always wish I could switch up what is on my blog more, but I just can't afford it! I hardly ever go shopping, which makes coming up with new outfits hard sometimes! However, it is so worth it so that I can extend my wardrobe. I also think as a reader that it is helpful to see something styled multiple ways to decide if you would really want to buy something.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gina, I look to you for blogging wisdom and you always deliver! I totally agree with the ability for bloggers especially newbies like myself to feel some type of way at the inability to constantly post new outfits, or even to produce the quality of pics and various awesome background that others have the ability to do. What's important to remember is that we should never lose ourselves in the hype. We are who we are and that's all we could ever possibly be! I think our followers and friends appreciate that the most about us in however way each of us contribute on this little space in blog land!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pieces, you can never go wrong with classics.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love simplified looks since it gives off an effortless chic vibe. I think readers can relate to simplified looks more as well since they most likely have those key staples in their closet and can re-create your outfits!

    Tina
    www.justatinabit.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love all of these simple looks! 'Summer is for simplicity-' I like that! Good point! I especially love your mint tee with the white bottoms!

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    www.theclosetbychristie.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the looks you have above. And white jeans/shorts looks so good with everything. Simplifying eases stress in every aspect. In real life as you said, who doesn't repeat their clothing. I would say the people that do not wear a look more than once is in the 90-95% range, because so few have the means to do that and even those who do have the means are going to have favorites they want to repeat. There isn't any reason to apologize and I am so glad to hear you and the extremely few others actually say it. You are so pretty and always stylish and put together, but try not to compare yourself to other bloggers. It takes practice and conscious effort at times but I would thing it would be so freeing and so much less stressful. Thanks so much. I hope you are having a great night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your very kind comment, Christie! I really like what you said about "it takes practice and conscious effort." I think that's the reason I wanted to do this post...to remind myself and keep myself on track. It's really easy to get caught up and sometimes just writing it out like this helps me get re-focused!

      Delete
  20. I'm on a simplistic tip as well. Life is definitely much easier when you wear what makes you happy and comfortable. I agree with Rachelle. When I first started blogging, I didn't realize that but now I rather wear old things that i love rather than purchase new things all the time just because I'm a blogger. That's so tiring... not to mention expensive lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so curious about the KonMari approach to de-cluttering. I think I do a pretty good job, but I could probably do more. I really enjoy your blog and the outfits you post. They seem to fit my style and I enjoy your posts. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I personally like it when bloggers repeat outfits! It's so much more relatable! Very few people in the real world are able to wear new items every day. I repeat things all the time on my blog too :)

    Sierra
    Sierra Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am with Sierra. I do like seeing repeats because you know how much I love remixing! And I don't feel bad wearing the same piece a couple times over the course of a week or so because I also love GIVING ideas on how to style pieces! That being said- I'm totally with you on the planning for purpose statement. I love my flat lays but sometimes I spend all the time doing them, that I don't actually wear the combo in real life. Lately when I'm trying to figure out what I want to wear, I browse my flat lays, and it's been pretty rewarding!
    Carylee | http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all. you're always so put together + chic, and I love it!
    Secondly- sooo true, we shouldn't be sorry for repeating items. I think that's the point of style- to be able to wear and re-wear pieces + remix 'em in different ways. Anyone can pull a new look off a mannequin! The ability to re-imagine pieces is a skill you have to hone. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  25. especially love that first outfit!

    danielle | avec danielle // giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this thinking! I really try to do this but sometimes fail miserably. I love how you always keep things a bit simpler and always looks so on point! Always love checking your feed and blog for pairings with tanks and tees!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  27. simplicity is great. I never apologize for being me :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. i'm totally feeling summer simplicity vibes! or rather, life vibes. it took me ages to learn that about buying and wearing what i love and feel comfortable in. sometimes i still see a vest or a blazer and i think to myself 'maybe...' but i know i won't wear them, and i'm finally getting to a point where i don't convince myself i need it because everyone else loves them. you really do just need to find what works. and real life means repeating so who cares! no apology needed ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!