For this trip, highs were expected to be in the mid-upper 60s and each day was going to be full of typical San Francisco sight seeing with lots of walking and a couple of boat rides out on the Bay.
I picked out four easy, comfortable outfits and took a quick snap of each one so I could refer to it on my phone each day of my trip to remember what I had planned to wear. I literally did this while I was packing so I was short on time, but it made me appreciate people like Carylee who have turned the flatlay into an art form!
- Hats: I originally planned to take two hats. Even though I like the fedora better with certain outfits, I decided not to take it since I was worried I would always have to hold onto it with the wind. Plus it was likely to get squashed in my suitcase. My black & white SD hat stays put and matched everything, so I only brought that.
- Jackets: I originally planned to bring three different jackets. Everyone else in my family was taking one jacket. Overpacking guilt ensued so I decided to cut back to two jackets.
- Shoes: I had three pairs of shoes for four days. Again, everyone else was taking one pair of shoes, so I took out my white Converse since they would probably get filthy anyway.
I pulled the overkill items out of the suitcase and I was off and hoping for the best since I didn't try it all on before I left. But here's how I ended up wearing each outfit (you may recognize some of these from Instagram) with links to the items:
Day One AM: Airport
Loafers: Sole Society / Mint Backpack: Target (Interior started ripping after one day of use so I don't recommend this one)
Jacket: Gap / Tee: Old Navy / Necklace: Stella & Dot / Black Skinnies: Express / Shoes: Nordstom / Nails: Sinful Colors "Easy Going"
Belt: Express / Shoes: Nordstom / Mint Backpack: Target
And here's how it all looked from the front:
Lessons and Changes:
- Reduce, Reuse: I packed two different pairs of distressed jeans for this trip and really could have kept it to just one pair and re-worn them like I did with my black skinnies.
- Stay Warm: I planned to alternate wearing my black and grey jacket but the black one was warmer so I ended up wearing it most of the time since the weather was a little cooler than I'm used to.
- Stay Really Warm: I have a lightweight cardigan (shown in the collage below) under my black moto in all of these outfits. I threw it in my suitcase at the last minute and I was SO GLAD I had that extra layering option.
- Happy Feet: My Converse were decent for the amount of walking we did (probably close to three miles on the first day) but a pair "real" sneakers would have been better. Flats would have been a big mistake to wear all day, but they were great for the airport.
Necklace & Cuff: c/o Rocksbox (use code onthedailyexpressxoxo for a free trial month)
And finally here's a front view of the alternate shoes and layers versions:
And last but not least, I always pack my jewelry in this Prezerve 2-in-1 Jewelry Organizer from Amazon. For this trip I kept it to a pretty minimal stash of jewelry so I was able to only use the smaller case. (It fits inside a bigger case if you're packing a lot of jewelry).
After just four days of neutral outfits and suitcase life I was ready to get back to my normal closet options at home. I love black and white and grey and never thought I could get tired of them, but I guess I hadn't fully tested that theory before!
Linking up with: