4/29/15

Behind the Scenes

|
Thanks to blogging, it's become a habit to take pictures of pretty much anything I do in regular life that relates to clothes and outfits...just in case I need it for a post some day. Well today is that day! I didn't have anything more important to talk about so without further ado, here are of my previously unpublished pictures and behind the scenes stories.

Practice Makes...Progress
After my last packing post I decided that learning how to do a decent flatlay could come in handy for a blogger, so I've been practicing laying out my outfits before I get dressed. I think I'm making progress but I might need one of those folding boards if I'm going to take this to the next level!
Jacket: Express (Olive sold out, Similar Color Jacket) / Cami: Express "Rosy Cheeks" / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Nordstrom / Necklace: Express / Bracelet: Express / Earrings: Nordstrom

Jacket: Express  / Tank: Old Navy "Into the Woods" / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Old Navy (Gold sold out online) / Necklace: Express


On Repeat
I wore this outfit in real life and never posted it anywhere. In my head I felt like I had just worn the same thing and took the picture standing in the same spot. Reality check: I doubt anyone remembers what I wore 20+ weeks ago in real life or online!
Portofino Shirt: Express / Pants: Guess (Similar) / Necklace: Forever 21 (one chain removed by me) / Shoes: Forever 21 / Bracelet: Stella & Dot Portia / Nails: Essie "Nothing Else Metals"

And here's the previous outfit I thought I had "just worn."
Portofino Shirt: ExpressPants: Guess (Similar) / Shoes: Forever 21 / Necklace: Local

For those who like the front view, here's another perspective on these four outfits:
And if you read my How I Built My Wardobe, obviously I am still going strong on my top two outfit formulas five years later!


The Great Debate
One thing I've noticed on Instagram is that taking outfit pictures on the diagonal is more common than vertical way I usually take them. I wasn't sure what I was missing by taking them straight, so out of curiosity I've experimented with taking mine the "popular" way.

"Popular" - On the Diagonal:

Versus Vertical:
Portofino: Express / White Skinnies: Express / Belt: Gap / Sandals: Sam Edelman Sutton / Necklace: Old Navy / Bracelet: Stella & Dot / Sunglasses: Nordstrom (Front view of this outfit in this post)

I even polled my friends on blue shirt outfit to see which angle was more popular with them before posting, and here's the final tally:
Voting Panel: Carylee / Kellie / Erin / Erin's Sister / Rachelle / Skye / Stacy

So much for that solving the issue! Ultimately I think the angle seems less important than a clear photo that shows the outfit details. So I'll just continue taking the requisite 50 selfies per outfit (per Janet's tips in this post) and using the best one of the bunch, regardless of the angle!

* * *

And that's what I've been up to behind the scenes here! And before you go: if any of my blogger friends want to drop by and wish my longtime, behind-the-scenes friend Stacy a happy birthday today, it would mean the world to me. Despite facing a year of tragedy she's managed to continually inspire me and be an incredibly supportive friend. I'd love to give her a little blogging community birthday boost!

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
Alison Lindsey / Sheaffer / Mel /
 Tara / Jill & Carly / Alice /  Dawn Lucy /
 ErikaAndrea and Narci / Fashion Friday/

CONVERSATION

49 comments:

  1. Love this post and now I really want that orange cami, I don't usually wear orange so I have to try it one first. I'm still happy the angle won lol. Happy Birthday Stacy :)

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely try it! It has a lot of coral in real life -it's kind of hard to capture the color correctly. I think it would be great on your coloring.

      Delete
  2. I love ALL of these looks!!! Especially that utility jacket and the coral shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that orange cami and olive jacket! The cobalt blue top and pink necklace is so pretty together!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just impressed by your outfit selfie skills in general. Either version you always seem to get your entire outfit and your nail color so, for me, that makes you Superwoman. Every time I see your outfits I remind myself I need to stop in to F21 to scope out their jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should! I don't have very good luck with their clothes, but I have 100% success with their accessories department! And they're always SO affordable.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Rachelle...I really want that orange cami!! Gosh, it looks so good with olive!! Fun with the flat lays...I too enjoy the creative aspect of it, but it always sounds like a good idea in my head, but I never find the time to actually do it, lol!! The vote also has me laughing...literally straight down the middle!! Glad we could help a girlfriend out, not! :-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Even though you all were split, I still enjoyed the feedback and thoughts everyone shared behind their vote. So it still helped even if it wasn't a landslide! (And...you would not regret the cami. Just sayin'.)

      Delete
  6. You're all grown up now! I feel like the teacher has now become the student. Fly away my sweet bird!
    Sorry, that's the coffee talking! :) I'm excited that you're digging the flat lays, even if just for planning purposes. I love doing them and watching them come to life! And you still make me want a new olive tank!
    Carylee | More Pieces of Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are cracking me up!! I will never have your museum-worthy skill, but I'm content with "presentable." :)

      Delete
  7. I always take it on an angle but that's just because its easier for me. My arms are weird like that lol. I love the coral colored cami with the olive jacket so cute! And that cobalt blue always looks amazing on you

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many cute pieces! Loving those leopard Sam Edelman sandals!
    xx Lexi @glitterinclexi | Glitter, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love doing flatlays! I don't normally post them -- but do them for myself before getting dressed. They are especially useful for packing!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfits, I love those jackets! I especially love the coral top under the green jacket. What a unique color combo. I still can't do those overhead Instagrams photos no matter how hard I try. Your quite talented with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I have an embarrassing amount of practice at this point and it's STILL hard to get it right!

      Delete
  11. So many great pieces. I love that necklace with the blue stone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fun post! I do like seeing flat lays on IG and have been wanting to do this but I never plan my outfits that far in advance. Plus, I think I need to buy some kind of white board and have good lightning....way too much work :)

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take pictures of my outfits too! I tend to try them on then take them and store them all for vacation or travel. I feel like when the outfit is already picked out and I can reference the image it helps me save time, and struggle in my suit case!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got my Gigi's a few weeks ago and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the looks, specially the jacket from the first set!
    xx
    www.theblackblush.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  16. I notice the diagonal posts are more common too but maybe it's just so they can get more details in a small square picture? No idea, I think they both look great. I can't wait to break out my peachy Barcelona cami. I have a box of items I'm trying to decide if I want to keep them or not that I'm trying to get through first. Not exactly excited to wear those! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my theory on the diagonal:

      The top bloggers who kind of started the OOTD selfie trend took them at an angle because it allows you to fit your lips in there. For some people lips are a part of their look (e.g. if you're doing a bright pink or red lip or something). So....I think people just followed suit with that angle even if their lips weren't in the picture. It just became "the thing." I could be wrong, but aside from that I can't really see any reason why it's better! Maybe just personal preference.

      Delete
  17. I seriously cannot get the outfit selfie down!! The last time I tried and actually posted one it was blurry and terrible. You should have seen me. Forget the angle, I cannot even get a photo. I like your flat lays. Mine aren't very good either. Hey, at least we have room for improvement, right? Right?

    Amy Ann
    Now blogging at my new site Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! My goal in blogging isn't perfection. Just enjoying the journey and progressing as I go hopefully!

      Delete
  18. What kind of phone do you have? I just can't get a good vertical outfit picture to save my life (dramatic, much? LOL). That cobalt is such a pretty color and just love it with the pink necklace. I've been leaning towards bright colors lately. I think it's the warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an iPhone 5s. Can't wait to get the 6 with my next upgrade because I do think it takes even better pictures. And yes, warm weather and sunshine make me crave bright colors!

      Delete
  19. For some reason I prefer the angled pictures as well, although it took me a long time to get the angle down right for photographing it! I love that you lay out your outfits, I truly struggle with this one! I cannot tell you how many outfit selfies I take sometimes!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of always laid things on my bed before putting them on just to see how it would look. I think now I'm just trying to make it look a little more presentable!

      Delete
  20. You are the queen of selfies! I still can't do it Gina! I tried a million times this weekend I swear! You're just going to have to show me in person one day ;)

    I also need a tutorial on flatlays! There's a board you can buy? Man, I'm failing at this whole blog thing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i think i have seen more crappy vertical ootd's than diagonal, but you take great vertical ones.. if that even makes sense. i suck at both vertical and diagonal but i don't mind! and your flat lays look great to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha I like outfit posts both ways,sometimes the diagonal gives it a little more flair ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your 'great debate!' I vote for the diagonal one! It's crazy how angles can make such a difference in photography. I love the cobalt with leopard! I haven't done the Instagram ootd posts because I can never seem to get it right! I'm definitely not a selfie queen, but you've inspired me to give it another try!

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    www.theclosetbychristie.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I spy a lot of olive green here- and I love it! Fave neutral, for real. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhh I actually think I like the diagnal better too. I may have to give that a try. I'm still trying to get used to taking outfit selfies as it is tho. lol! I really love that olive jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love these behind-the-scenes posts that you do. OIive pants just like blue denim, black or white denim are neutrals that go with everything. And of course a Portofino blouse layered with a long pendant necklace is always a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I absolutely love your tan/leopard sandals! And the cobalt blue blouse, I need something that colour in my wardrobe!

    Carolyn
    http://stylishmemories.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like the angled shot too! Love the royal blue portofino! My god it's so try you can never have too many of these shirts..does Express realize how addictive they are! Headed over to your girl Stacy now to wish her a HBD! BTW, I responded to your Choies question on the blog, in case you didn't see it :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the bday wishes and the answer on the dress. :)

      Delete
  29. I just love Express especially their tops and Barcelona cami's. you are rockin' every single one of these outfits. Such great style and beauty, my dear!!!

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy birthday to your friend Stacy! :)

    I'm glad you decided to share your 'repeat' outfit - we all repeat outfit combinations and clothes we like, there's no need to pretend like we only wear things once, haha! It's good you are sharing these little bits like this :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have great style at any angle! :D
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looove your outfits! The last one with cobalt top is a sure fave!!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!