2/9/15

The Suggestion Box

|
Way back at the dawn of the Internet, I set up a hotmail account just for shopping emails. I still use it to this day, but I feel like lately it's just become my Suggestion Box where retailers just send me shopping and outfit suggestions.

Sometimes it's the, "Did You Forget Something?" email for things I saved in my shopping cart (no, I didn't forget...I just can't afford it right now!). Other times it's something totally unexpected like this:


Striped Sweater: Express / Lace Cami: Express / Lighwash Jeans: Nordstrom / Pewter Flats: DSW / Necklace: Stella & Dot / Leggings: Express / Booties: Old Navy

The caption says, "Trust us, this would look good on you. We saw this and thought of you." I'm not sure whether to be flattered or freaked out because I already have this sweater. And I like it a lot, but thank you for saying I look good in it!


I think I've talked about this brunch outfit suggestion half a dozen times here, and I'm getting closer to completing the exact look. I needed it from the second it landed in my inbox (because I like brunch, of course). I finally got the right cardigan, and now the only piece evading me are those perfect pointed-toe leopard flats.
Cardigan: Express / V Neck Cami: Old Navy / Tassel Necklace: Target / Distressed Jeans: Express / Pewter Flats: DSW

I'm also digging their "Sunday Style" suggestion since most Sundays you can find me on-the-go in Converse. I thought the scuba leggings and military jacket were a nice touch to give it a little more edge than just jeans and a hoodie.

Olive Jacket: Express (Similar) / Scuba Leggings: ExpressWhite Tank: Target / Bag: Forever 21 / Converse: Nordstrom

Obviously I take a lot of suggestions from Express, but there are some other retailers who have suggestions, too. I took a closer look at Piperlime's Date Night Outfit suggestion:


And I thought it was a fairly good option (albeit very expensive), but maybe because it mirrors my own date night outfit of blazer, top, jeans. (Although I prefer heels over flats for a night out, and my outfits are way more affordable.)
Piperlime Look: Blazer ($695) / Jeans ($225) / Flats ($250) / Clutch ($145) / Top ($168) (sold out, link goes to same at Norstrom) (Total cost for outfit: $1,483!)

White Blazer: H&M (Similar) / Black Cami: Express / Jeans: Nordstrom / Bag: Forever 21 / Sandals: DV Safia (Similar)

Black Blazer: Express / Cami: Express (Same print top) / Jeans: Gap / Booties: Express (Similar)

I think my favorite suggestion this year so far came from The Gap:


Sometimes I stumble onto an outfit combination that I just really like. The shoes, accessories...everything works. As much as I talk about versatile pieces sometimes I just don't want to have to start the creation process all over again! So I take a tip from The Gap and repeat my outfit head-to-toe. I usually share my #OOTD on Instagram but if I skip a day here and there, it usually means I'm wearing something exactly the way I wore it last time!

Shop the Post:






Katie /Alison Lindsey / Tara / Shanna / JoLynne / Tuesday Talk / Grace / Elizabeth / Brenna
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci / Rebecca & Cherie

Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday (any topic is fine!)


Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express, and thanks for linking up!

CONVERSATION

37 comments:

  1. I said it before but i'll say it again - you put together some of the best casual outfits. My favorite from this post is the brunch outfit. Enjoy your Monday, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. I've been getting those "You'd look good in this" emails and it definitely made me look twice. I love you in blazers. You look so good in them! Have a great week, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great idea for a post! I always get those emails too...my inbox is usually overflowing with them. haha! I would say half of them are the "oops..did you forget this item" because I do a lot of "window shopping" online even though I can't afford to buy anything. lol! I love all of your inspiration outfits above too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got those e-mails all the time, and sometimes it's annoying. I love your blazers, the white one is so classic and the fitting is amazing! Great post, Gina. Have a great week! :)
    -Tatiana
    We Shop in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh Express sends way too many e-mails but the London Striped Sweater and Marled Gray Cardigan are too good to pass up. Love your simple but chic styling of them. Thanks for another Manic Monday, Gina!!

    <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are uber versatile pieces for remix Gina!!! I hope you join the Shoe & Tell linkup I am co-hosting with Cherie this week!

    Best!
    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a separate shopping email also and try not to look at it. It is a good idea though to get some outfit inspiration! Your brunch outfit is the perfect everyday look!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  8. All great inspo for me to use, I see you have that stella and dot rebel necklace, it needs to go on sale.

    xo
    PinkSole


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish Express had made their gold bar pendant in a silver version, too! I would have just purchased that instead! I really did not want to spend that much for the S&D version. But I do use them both a lot so I guess I'm getting my money's worth.

      Delete
  9. Loving the marled cardigan and the military jacket with the scuba's and converse!! And I'm with you on the whole repeat thing... #ootd have been slacking for me lately for this very reason...glad it's not just me ;-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all those outfits and you look just like the model in all your pictures!! So cute. You make me want to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looks!!! I love everything about the grey cardigan look with those amazing pointed toe leopard loafers! Express has the best clothing!

    Christie
    The Closet by Christie

    www.theclosetbychristie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, I totally repeat outfits too. I always think, "who saw me in this last?" Great idea to set up an account just for shopping emails. They sure clutter my inbox!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it's shocking to see how smart the internet knowledge got, these companies have so much info on our likes/searches etc. I am still surprised when I see an item I recently checked out appear as an ad next to an article I read online haha. Love your "Did you forget something in your cart" comment. :-)) The Brunch look, and Sunday Style outfit are perfectly casual. Have a great Monday dear! XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pesky emails! They make me shop all the time. Every once in a while I unsubscribe so that it isn't a constant reminder that my shopping bag is calling my name (like I need an email for that! lol). I love how you can totally recreate the stock photos from your wardrobe. Amazing! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not surprised one bit that Express knows what you like and how you like it!! You nail every single inspiration!!! I am glad though most of my shopping emails go into the promotional folder and unless something really catches my eyes, they get deleted, I really do not need a reminder everyday to shop. It gets very annoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the leggings but I doubt I could pull that off.. maybe I should try them on at the store. The tricky bit about the store here is that, not all items I see on your blog are available

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are a great alternative for inspiration, I never really paid much attention the 'looks' in my inbox more so the subject matter of SALE! Thank you Gina! I think your date night looks are much cuter as well :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of using a separate email for these type of emails because they just end up clogging my email. As always, great looks Gina!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that sunday style outfit, Thats TOTALLY something I would wear, and actually I think I have worn something identical before but maybe just with heels LOL!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the first two looks!! I have an email account I send "junk" stuff too as well. I need to check it out, I might be missing out on some good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love them all! Especially the brunch outfit. So...how was the event last night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! It was good! (It was an Express "After Hours Shopping Party" for anyone reading this and wondering!) I am planning to post a recap of it in my Friday post for those who might be interested!

      Delete
  22. Cute looks, always an inspiration, Gina.
    Rachel xo
    Garay Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love repeating outfits, no shame. sometimes it just works!! i really love the brunch outfit & sunday style outfit - super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm going to steal this idea from you and create an email account for all my retail emails :) Great idea!

    xo, tasha
    twenty-something blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Sunday brunch outfit is absolute perfection, and yes that first sweater is a closet must have!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing outfits. Just love your cardis/blazers :)

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/
    twitter.com/floralandsmiles

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving your pewter point-toe flats!!
    Thank you for linking up with Shoe and Tell on Style Nudge!!

    Cherie
    http://www.stylenudge.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I freaking love the "Trust us, this will look good on you" emails hahaha! Obviously you've got great taste for them to be suggesting items you already have!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh em freakin gee that olive jacket!!!! Gimme!! And that Gap moto is definitely my motto as well ;)

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look great in all of these looks- I loving that Express sent you an email for the London sweater you already owned. Girl, they KNOW you! :) The scuba leggings + utility jacket is another super cute outfit- need to recreate this!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  31. Fun link up! Great post!

    Anyhoo, I found your blog through a fellow blogger, and just thought I'd drop by and say hi! It would totally make my day if you did the same - or better yet! - keep in touch! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ugh! I hate the "did you leave something in your cart" emails. They must get a lot of business that way because every store is doing it now. Don't they know I like to virtual shop and that I have no intention of buying everything I am just conserding?? Geesh! I am really loving the date night outfits. That is one thing I need to beef up in my wardrobe- structured jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOL! At least they're suggesting pieces that really do look great on you! ;-)

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just found your blog from another link-up and I love it! Thanks for all of the suggestions!

    -Jessica
    www.wearitforless.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all these looks! My favorite is the gray cardigan. From the Trendy Wednesday Blog Link Up @ http://www.classyyettrendy.com

    Leanne,
    Classy Yet Trendy
    http://www.classyyettrendy.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!