2/16/15

Fashion Music Fusion

|
Last summer I took a look at Fashion from the Top Two Songs of Summer and it seems high time for an updated look at what's happening with fashion in music videos lately. So I peeked at the Billboard Top 100 chart to find out the top songs of the moment and take a closer look at what kind of fashion statements they're making.


1. Uptown Funk

Video Premise: The number one song of the moment is Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars. The gist of the video is Bruno & Co. getting funky. Presumably in Uptown. And Bruno and his crew have some appropriately funky outfits.


Fashion Statement: Bruno is sporting a pretty hot fashion trend in this video, the pink jacket. I've been seeing pink jackets on bloggers and celebrities everywhere:

Császári Zita / Jessica Alba / Jamie Chung / Olivia Holt

Gwen Stefani / Jessica Alba / Emmy Rossum / Rachelle

(Once again, Rachelle and Emmy are twinning. See how much these two Virgos dress alike in this post.)

Since I just recently acquired a pink moto jacket, I decided to Uptown Funk it up. And just my opinion but I think Bruno's outfit is a winner. Don't believe me? Just watch:

Jacket: Express/ Cami: Express / Black Skinnies: Express / Shoes: Express / Necklace: Forever 21


2. Thinking out Loud

Video Premise: The number two song of the moment is Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud. The video features Ed dancing with Brittany Cherry the entire time.

Fashion Statement: Ed looks nice in his suit, but unless you're a dude or dancer or figure skater you probably won't get any outfit ideas from this video


3. Take Me to Church

Video Premise: Okay, I was not prepared for the contents of this video. Based on the lyrics and melody I thought it would be dark and maybe have some religious symbolism, but it's about a gay couple being hunted down by a homophobic mob. And in case you didn't know, Hozier explained that the phrase "take me to church" is actually an allegory for lovemaking.

Fashion Statement: This video makes a big statement, but it's definitely not about fashion. And I hate to trivialize it by breaking down the outfit selections. This is one to watch for compassion against hate crimes, not for style inspiration.


4. Honorable Mention: Style

Video Premise: Taylor's song Style is not in the top four songs (yet...) but I hate to end this post on a sad note (badum-ching). But her video for this song was just released on Friday and it does have some fun fashion to watch so I'm giving it an honorable mention.

As for the contents, I'll quote the Rolling Stone : "The music video for "Style" finds Swift and her paramour literally picking up the fragments of their on-again, off-again relationship. Throughout the video, Swift and her man are haunted by memories of each other..." And of course, from the song title we gather that it's a nod to her past relationship with Harry Styles of One Direction.


Fashion Statement: Taylor's outfits in this video (and there are quite a few of them) are predominantly white. I guess because she's got that "good girl...." thing that we like? Anyway, one of her looks features a crop top that looks exactly like one from Express:

Taylor Swift Top vs. Express Top

The white version of this is sold out, but it's still available in Radiant Rose and Black. And there's also this fairly similar white crop top at Forever 21.

Crop Tops

* * *

I can't say that I regularly make it a point to watch music videos very often these days, but in this case I'm glad I did for some new outfit inspiration! 

Shop the Post:






Katie /Alison Lindsey / Tara / Shanna / JoLynne / Tuesday Talk / Grace / Elizabeth / Brenna
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci / Laura  & Erin

Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday (any topic is fine!)


Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express, and thanks for linking up!

CONVERSATION

34 comments:

  1. Pink is not my favorite color but it's surely growing on me. A blush pink lightweight jacket is on my list to purchase for the upcoming Spring. Happy Monday, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! I can't believe how long it has been since I have watched a music video! I really like the style inspiration from Bruno Mars, I think you rock it better though!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way you styled that jacket..and how you used Bruno as your outfit inspiration and thank you for the mention of Take Me to the Church. I haven't seen the video, but the song is haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't believe me. Just watch. I LOLddd. Ahahah!! So so punny. I love that song and get crazy excited and dance when it's playing! I need the pink version of that Moto jacket. Or perhaps the ivory. Decisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the soft pink/blush moto jacket. It is adorable. Girly yet edgy. That cropped criss-cross halter is gorgeous also. I had no idea Express sold one of those.

    Happy Monday Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruno Mars has such fun style! I need to add a pink moto jacket to my closet now!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gina you are so funny! I wish I was as witty as you. I cracked up on your lines don't believe me, just watch lines. I love your jacket. So on trend!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so clever! I'm loving the fun uptown funk style! That blush moto jacket is fabulous!

    Jill
    Doused In Pink

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really have been seeing pink jackets everywhere lately! I love the one you got! It's a nice muted color and not as flashy as the hot pink ones. I don't think I could pull off a hot pink jacket. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bruno's dusty pink is hot and I am a fan of dusty pink. This post reminds me of a super pink skirt I bought for love of God I don't recall why. Pink skirt! What was I thinking?? But that said, I will have to make the purchase justifiable and wear it at least once... one day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both shades of pinks! I have never been a fan of pink, but I have been loving the pink blush lately, and now the hot pink. The jackets are definitely a MUST! Great post!
    -Tatiana
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww I admire how you derive style inspo from anything - I love how Bruno rocks it in pink!!

    Best!
    Rebecca
    http://www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So when you bought that jacket, did you think about the video/song?? Ha ha. I said it the other day, but I love that jacket. The color suits you too. Even though Jacob is laid up today, I may leave him home and take Laila to Express. It's been way too long and I'm seeing a lot that I like. I still need to try the legging jeans too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are always so creative with your posts! I had no idea thats what "Take Me to Church" is about! haha
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pink moto jacket at Express is something I"m seriously drooling at. I also have to say that every song mention here I like, and have been playing constantly.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am totally stealing the look you did with the moto jacket!! I freaking love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the take on Bruno Mar's outfit! My son is obsessed with this song, every time it comes on - he has to stop whatever he is doing and star dancing.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidife.com

    Hope to see you Thursday for TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fun post! I forget about how much musicians influence fashion. I love your pink blazer!

    xo
    -A-
    A Peck on the Chic

    ReplyDelete
  19. You know I love this post and Uptown funk fashion is my favorite of course. Your pink jacket is so cute, it looks so good on you.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this pink and you nailed Bruno Mars' look :).
    http://www.stylediarybyosy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. The only song I recognize is take me to church! Wow I'm behind the times. I love the pink moto jackets! I love yours in blush, and I love rachelle in her hot hot pink! I need one in either color :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post! I think this is such a great idea! I really love this pink jacket trend and actually own one in pink and a light blue!

    Denise
    www.fashionloveletters.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even though the crop tops you showed look so cute. I've tried the whole crop top thing and it wasn't really working for me. Hahaa. But the pink jacket trend, I'm with it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a fun post. I love how you change it up. And I love how you remind me to pull out the mauve/pink jacket out for some wardrobe mix-up. Hope you are having a lovely day. A freaky cold front came in after this nasty rain; on a student holiday of all days. ~ciao bella

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, I don't really watch music videos these days. But I do like how you got inspiration from the Bruno Mars video! The pale pink jacket is too cute :) I also love how Jamie Chung styled her jacket. While I like Style as a song, I can't say I really liked the music video.

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seriously, this post is too good. I LOVED it :) Thanks for hosting.
    xo__lauryn
    lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. You killed the Bruno Mars look! :) I love that jacket; such a cool piece.

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  28. Uptown Funk is the best song ever and love his style in the vid. Love you coat x

    http://floralsandsmiles.blogspot.ca/
    twitter.com/floralandsmiles

    ReplyDelete
  29. ok the only song I have actually heard was Taylor Swift's, lol. I think that video is super weird, I might be the only one but I just thought it was so weird and I actually like Taylor and the song.. I don't like Harry Styles either, so maybe that's why. I definitely love your take on Bruno's outfit though, love the light pink jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have been on the hunt for a pink jacket I didn't realize that Express had one! Must go and give it a whirl! That Uptown Funk is quite a catchy tune huh? It definitely funks me up! Fun post!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love pink but I dont wear it. Those jackets are super cute though!! Also Taylor swift is totally improving style wise ... and everything wise! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your little segments! They make me correlate fashion with things that I would never think of! I am posting my take on the pink jacket tomorrow (Wednesday). Hahah, it's everywhere- and I love it! :)
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love the pink jacket and how you styled it :) Very cute!
    Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Talk!
    Katie
    www.sweetlittleonesblog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!