12/10/14

Coffee Date: It's All Relative

|
I've known Kellie of the blog ie-Style for almost a year now, and she recently brought a new team member to her blog to help out: her sister Stacie. I wanted to get to know both of these girls a little better so I invited them on a virtual coffee date. They told me that they get mistaken for twins, and after getting to know them better I learned that they have a lot more in common than just their good looks!


First, I host every Coffee Date at Virtual Starbucks, so what will you be ordering today?

Kellie:
Venti Iced Coffee with White Mocha and Cream. That's my order 99% of the time, even in winter.

Stacie: 
Venti Iced Coffee with White Mocha and room.

Gina:
So...you guys order pretty much the same thing. Interesting....

But you said you're not twins, so what is the age difference between you two and who is older?

Kellie:
Stacie is older by a year and a half, although everyone typically thinks I am the older one. I like to say that just because I'm taller doesn't mean I'm older ! We did get asked a lot as kids if we were twins, and actually just got asked that again a couple of times recently, which makes us giggle.


Let's talk a little bit about your blogging story. Kellie, you started the blog on your own so tell us a little bit about how you got started and some things you've learned along the way.


Kellie:
I've been blogging now for a year. It's been a fun creative adventure for me. One series I did bookmark when I was considering starting a blog was Kate's Blogging Q&A where you can also find a link to her 3 part series on Blogging. I knew prior to starting the blog that it would be time consuming, however it's turned out to be even more time consuming than I thought. That aside, I have been so pleasantly surprised at the wonderful and supportive blogging community!


Stacie, tell us about your experience and feelings coming on board with your sister on her existing blog. Had you considered having your own blog in the past? Did Kellie have to persuade you to join or were you secretly waiting for an invitation?
Source: Wee Notions

Stacie: 
I have zero experience with blogging other than reading a few blogs here and there. I’m excited to do this with Kellie. I’m still a huge work in progress! I’m not really positive how it came about that I would blog with my sister. Seems like it just fell into place after some time. I was occasionally helping her with photos or ideas, but I hadn’t considered doing a blog before.
 


Obviously you two have known each other longer than any other blogger duo I've interviewed, so I'd really love some unique sister perspective and a little trip down memory lane....Tell me a memorable experience from your childhood:

Kellie:
One of my favorite childhood memories involves Stacie and I taking our Mom's old pantyhose and with our arms down our sides we would each climb into one leg of the hose. We must have had help getting into the hose because they came up over our shoulders. Once we were all suited up, we would just run around the house, falling down all over the place and trying to find the coordination to get back up in between all the laughter.

Stacie: 
Gosh, there are so many, but our many trips to Target that would turn into huge giggle sessions and my sister falling on ice. Every time she’d fall, she would leave her hands in her pockets and just slide down a hill or stay plopped in the snow!

What are some things that people would be surprised to know about you? And since you know each other so well, what's something that we might not know about your sister?

Kellie:
I've had the same hair stylist since I was 6. I lettered in academics in high school (I'm not athletically gifted but school came pretty easy for me). I'm also a big fan of Celine Dion. As for Stacie, she has a fear of white clothing. She's too afraid it will get dirty so she owns very little white in her wardrobe. She's also known to leave tags & stickers on anything new...clothing, bags, furniture, etc. I will say she's getting better about this, but still like to give her a hard time about it!

Stacie: 
I have a hard time making choices. Especially when there are lots of color options. And people might be surprised to know that Kellie was super shy growing up.

Growing up, did you feel like one of you was more into fashion than the other? Did you ever feel competitive with each other about fashion (or anything else)?
Retro Kellie Style

Kellie:
According to our Mom, I started taking over picking out my clothes around the age of two, whereas Stacie didn't care as much. I definitely think fashion was more important to me when we were young. I'm not generally a competitive person, although Stacie is, so I'm curious to hear her answer to this! I do recall that I wouldn't let her borrow any new clothing until I had the chance to wear it first though!

Stacie: 
Kellie was definitely was more into fashion growing up. I was a complete tomboy and very into soccer. We were never competitive about fashion, but we would certainly compete as sisters in general. For the record…I was always right!



Well at least you two agree on your fashion history! Now let's skip to the present tense and talk about current fashion and shopping favorites, starting with your favorite piece from Express:
Kellie:
I'm currently obsessing over the Barcelona Cami. I purchased my first one this summer and adored its flattering fit, but now I'm also seeing that they are a great layering piece for Fall/Winter which makes me even more fond of them.

Stacie: 
I love the Railroad trim lace babydoll tank!!



What's on your wishlist from Express right now?
IE wish list

Kellie:
I'm really loving this scarf and this sweater with zipper detail.

Stacie: 
I’m dying to get my hands on the blue sequined embellished mini skirt. I love the colors on it and the casual chic or dress up capabilities of it.


Is there another piece in your closet that you recommend to anyone and everyone?

Kellie:
The ever-so-popular plaid scarf (I have one from Target). The other piece that I think everyone needs is at least one leopard print shoe! Both of these items are incredibly versatile and bring a lot to an outfit.

Stacie: 
I love my ankle strap booties from Express. I have the tan color and they are my go-to for so many outfits right now!


My regular readers know that I love getting celebrity-inspired outfit ideas from a wide range of celebs like Kristin C. to Jay-Z. Which celebrities do you turn to for fashion inspiration?

Kellie:
I've always had a fondness for Jennifer Aniston's effortless style. Although I think Nikki Reed's style is much more my taste and doable with my body shape and items I have in my closet.

Stacie: 
The celebrities that inspire me the most would have to be Kate Beckinsale and Jennifer Aniston.


I think that gives us a good overview of your styles, so let's move on and talk about beauty products now. What are some of your favorite for lip colors?
 The Small Things Blog wearing MAC Syrup /  Pinterest wearing  MAC Rebel

Kellie:
I've just been having fun recently digging in my lipstick bag and using some "oldies but goodies" such as MAC O and Syrup.

Stacie: 
MAC Rebel!!! I wear it alone with Chapstick for a subtle look or with MAC Magenta Lip Pencil for true bright purple hue or with MAC Nightmoth Lip Pencil for a dark purple look.


And what about nail colors?

Kellie:
For a Fall & Winter I always gravitate to the deeper earthy tones like CND's Rock Royalty and Brand New Skates.

Stacie: 
I adore OPI I Don’t Give a Rotterdam.


Any other tried-and-true cosmetic products you can't live without?

Kellie:
I'm a mega-fan of Tarte's 12-hour Foundation and any MAC eye shadow. My newest favorite color is Satin Taupe. For mascara I like "They're Real" by Benefit.

Stacie: 
I could not live without my favorite foundation, Tarte Amazonian Clay. It stays on and does not oxidize. For mascara, without a doubt, Benefit "They're Real" mascara is the best. I have tried to go back to many other past favorites like L'Oreal, but they just aren’t the same as Benefit! I also love my Aquage Uplifting Foam. I have a lot of fine hair and this foam never weighs it down and holds until I wash my hair.

Gina:
Well surprise, surprise, even more things in common! Is one of you to blame (or thank) for introducing the other one to Tarte Foundation and Benefit Mascara?

Kellie:
I actually used both of them first and Stacie tried them later after my recommendation!


Well, I have to say you're not doing a great job of convincing us that you aren't twins. So this is your last chance: name your favorite song of the moment....


Kellie:
OneRepublic's "I Lived" is a current fave - great reminder and inspiration video. Plus they are from right here in Colorado! I'm also constantly reminded how much I like Bruno Mars and Train every time their songs come on the radio.

Stacie: Hands down my favorite song right now is “I Lived” by OneRepublic. I’m a lyrics kind of girl and the message of that song is very motivational. I listen to it when I train for running all the time. It helps keep me going. I also have my kids listen to the words. This song helps me tell them what I can’t put into words.

* * *

I'm not really surprised that these two have more identical answers than any of my other guests in this series, including other bloggers who share a blog or even share a name! But I had a great time getting to know them better and especially checking out some of their "vintage" photos. Thanks to Kellie and Stacie for playing along and be sure to stop by their blog and find them on Instagram



Also linking up with:

CONVERSATION

16 comments:

  1. Love this coffee date! So fun to learn not only more about Kellie but Stacie too!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...I was afraid of how many answers would be the same - even tho we honestly didn't talk to each other about our answers! At least we like different lip sticks, haha! This is great, thanks so much for inviting us along on this date & for the trip down memory lane for me too!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...sister love. I love this post and I always enjoy reading them. Keep them coming. Now I see another express items I need to add to my list of things to get. I also love that shade of color on them and want to check it out myself too. Have a great day Gina.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how similar our answers are! It shouldn't surprise me though. I laughed so hard reading this. This is true Kellie and Stacie-like. We've gotten to the point now we have to ask each other what the other is wearing so we don't look like twins. Lol!!!!! Thank you for inviting us on a coffee date. It was so fun to look back.

    Stacie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. xx

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I immediately looked at the starbucks question, and I am literally going to go brew myself some coffee! I am dying!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sweet post! I am now craving some hot cocoa from Starbucks how adorable! So great to hear how you two support one another!
    http://lachiquitamissi.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you did this because I really wanted to get to know Stacie! Thank you!
    Me and my sister would definitely not be alike like this- I loved it!
    And I too use the Tarte Ama clay and They're Real. Good to know that Kellie influences us as much as we enable her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a fun series, i love learning about people i don't know. i also love comparing my answers to theirs haha. i love the answer to the song, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. umm they can so pass for twins plus they are into a lot of the same things. Love their style!


    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your coffee date series! I love learning about other bloggers! They do look like twins and both have great style!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love getting to know these girls- haha, their coffee order was almost the exact same. And I totally understand the obsession with MAC Rebel- such a killer lipstick for this time of year!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO MUCH FUN! I loved getting to know each sister better. It's so funny how similar they are. Their blog is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was neat getting to read their story/interview. I also like noting the pictures of them when they were younger and up to now and I just loved seeing how much fashion and looks have evolved to todays. Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe how much they look alike! Even in their childhood pics! Love this coffee date post! Awesome job Gina :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!