11/5/14

The Striped Tee

|
In preparing for Monday's Barbie Style post, I noticed that Barbie had a couple of signature items appearing in a lot of her outfits, specifically moto jackets and striped tops:

Moto Jackets:
Via: @BarbieStyle on Instagram © Mattell Inc.

Striped Tops:
Via: @BarbieStyle on Instagram © Mattell Inc.

It's no secret that I have a healthy collection of moto jackets, but Barbie made me feel like I could use at least one more striped tee in my closet. Especially a long sleeved version for fall and winter since I had none of those at all.

I picked this one from Nordstrom because I liked the low price ($16), the longer length, and the stripes-to-white ratio (it's a thing...not all stripes are created equal):

I did a little Pinterest browsing to make sure this would work easily with other things I already own. I mean, I know it's a basic tee but it's nice to have options! I pinned these outfits since they looked like something I could re-create, and coincidentally, two of them included Barbie's other signature item, the moto jacket:
Original Pins: One  / Two /Three /  Four 

And now the only thing left to do was see if any of them actually work for for me:
Striped tee, wrap mini skirt
 Tee: Nordstrom / Jacket: Express (Clay) / Skirt: Express / Necklace: Similar / Shoes: Target

Striped tee, moto jacket, olive cargo skinnies, leopard flats
Tee: Nordstrom / Jacket: Express / Necklace: Express / Cargo Skinnies: Guess (Similar) / Leopard Wedges: Nordstrom

Striped tee, jeans, booties
Tee: Nordstrom / Belt: Express / Necklace: Express / Jeans: Gap / Booties: Target

Striped tee, faux leather scuba leggings, booties, scarf
 Tee: Nordstrom / Scuba Leggings: Express / Scarf: Express (Similar) / Booties: Target

For me, all of these outfits are totally wearable in real life, but my personal favorite is probably the last one. So once again, Barbie pointed me in the right fashion direction. The only bad news is that as of right now, the exact tee I chose is down to a few limited sizes (in my color option). But I linked a few other similar striped tee options in my Shop the Post section below if you're like me and have somehow missed adding this staple to your closet!

Shop the Post: 





Also linking up with:
 Shanna Alison Lindsey / Grace , Elizabeth  & Brenna / Victoria / Liz / Tara / Alice
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci / Fashion Friday


CONVERSATION

29 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a similar top like that from nordstorm for a while now, and the price was perfect too. Too bad they don't have my size...ugh. Will keep on looking since all these style are thing I can wear to work comfortably.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this Barbie editorial! You are so right, all stripes are not created equal. I might just need that top. How did it run size wise? I love all the pins and inspiration you found. Stripes continue to be a staple in my wardrobe.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's kind of true-to-size but on the small side of that. I ordered an XS (my normal size) and that's what I'm wearing in the pics. But I have considered getting a 2nd one in a size up for a slightly more relaxed fit and a little extra length. The XS is pretty snug, and it seems like a more relaxed fit is more in style lately.

      Delete
  3. Love a striped shirt! They go with Everything!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of Barbie's outfits with the stripe tee and I actually want one of those, but one that is more like a tunic to wear with my leather leggings. I have to recreate the one with the ruched skirt. So cute.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is barbie so fabulous?! Now I've convinced myself that I need a long sleeve striped tee. HAHA!

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm cut off from adding anymore stripes to my closet for now :-) My favorites here are the olive pant outfit and the scuba pant one. While all of them are great, those two really catch the eye!! Plus, I can recreate those too, so thanks for the inspo!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have more stripes in my closet than one person should have, and I'm glad you picked up this staple because it's a great background for any kind of top layer! The one you found is great! I need one that is a little more tunic lengthed like that! But mental note for me to try moto plus stripes plus olive plus leopard. That shall happen! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good striped tee! I need this one for sure!
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute that you are continuing the Barbie theme. Wow her style has evolved, love it!! A striped tee is a staple for me and now I need to get a moto jacket, I'm on the hunt so thanks for the ideas and inspiration. Oh and I'm going to take the IG plunge very soon girl, thanks for the reminder and encouragement:)
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Not all stripes are created equal"... PREACH IT GIRL haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Obsessed with this post - love how thorough you were in your research for striped tees!

    Pink Champagne Problems

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay Barbie!! Loving each look you recreated! My fave is the black moto jacket ensemble! Super fun!!!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. obsessed with those barbie looks! too cute and fun! i had no idea she was so hip!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone looks exactly like real like Barbie

    ♡Tallia
    Trending In Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  15. um I have like 7 striped tops in my closet, and I actually probably have more than that, oops. I just love stripes. I just bought a top of eshakti (wore it on halloween, my 'basic' outfit) that was like $14 and I just love it. It's one size though so I imagine would be swimming on you though. Anywhoozits, striped tops are the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving all of these stripes! On you and on Barbie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stripes are so classic! And so versatile too! I need more in my life, and I've been on the lookout for a long sleeve version to wear underneath jackets. I feel like they are hard to find! I love the one you picked up from nordstrom. I might have to order it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a perfect striped top. I am always on the lookout for something like this. I have a couple but they are either just a little too big/small or the stripes aren't the right proportion (yes, I understand that). That picture of Barbie with the moto jacket and lace tights- you should try recreating this, Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stumbled across this blog and I must say I'm loving these Barbie posts! Striped tees are an absolute staple in any girl's wardrobe, they're so relaxed but can definitely be dressed up for certain occasions!

    xx

    Marta

    www.paradiseplayground.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey girl! Barbie has amazing style! I love the moto jacket and the striped tee. The one found at Nordstrom is perfect. I'd love a sweater dress in those stripes!

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad that Barbie also does remixes! haha! I am so in love of every single outfit. Barbie is such an inspiration, but you are missing a brunette barbie here :D
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. a striped top is such a classic!

    xo t.
    initialed.ca

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love those pins you picked! That stripe top is so pretty and so versatile. I love it with that draped skirt! This Barbie account is such great inspiration!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  24. Barbie is a stylish chick, man. STILL. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay! More Barbie inspiration! That striped top is great and I love all of the ways you styled it, especially the outfit with the scuba leggings!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Look at Barbie all grown up! This is just too cute. The striped tee you chose is perfect, I love the fit and it's super versatile. I think the last look is my favorite too only because it looks cozy and casual!

    Brooke
    pumpsandpushups.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Barbie is one stylish gal! I'm still on the search for the perfect striped shirt, and these outfits make me want one more :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have really enjoyed these Barbie inspired outfits - so much fun!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you next Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!