10/15/14

Thirteen Things Part Two

|
First of all, I want to thanks to everyone for their thoughtful and supportive comments on Monday! I didn't have a chance to reply to all of them, and I am often filled with anxiety when I post something that's a departure from the norm, so I sincerely appreciate your support!

If you missed Part One, you can find it here. And with that said, here we go with the rest of my thirteen random things to celebrate thirteen months of blogging:

8. Most Re-Pinned:
Blazer: Piperlime (Exact in BlackSimilar in Gray) / T-Shirt: Old Navy / Scarf: Express / Jeans: Express (Distressed OptionRegular Option) / Flats: Target (Current) / Booties: Target (Current)

This image from my original Scuba Leggings post is the most re-pinned photo from this blog. I have no idea what makes this outfit better than any others I've done to make it the most re-pinned, but I'm glad some of you liked it enough to Pin it and hopefully help a few new readers find me!


9. The Tina Fey Philosophy

Somewhere along the line I learned to accept that it's okay if not every post is my best. Each one helps me learn something just by the process of doing it, and that's good enough.

This quote from Tina Fey's Bossypants really captures how I feel, but I'm editing her words a little to apply them to blogging. (My substitutions are in italics- original quote here):

“You have to try your hardest to be at the top of your game and improve every post you can until the last possible second, and then you have to let it go. You have to let people see what you wrote. It will never be perfect, but perfect is overrated. Perfect is boring in blogging. What I learned about bombing as a writer at Saturday Night is that you can’t be too worried about your ‘permanent record.’ Yes, you’re going to write some posts that you love and are proud of forever—your golden nuggets. But you’re also going to write some real shit nuggets. And unfortunately, sometimes the shit nuggets will get published. You can’t worry about it. As long as you know the difference, you can go back to panning for gold on Monday.”

As much as I want every post to be gold, I've made peace with my $hi+ nuggets, so to speak. And if you have a blog with recipes, it's okay if not every recipe is original and delicious. If you do straight outfit posts, it's okay if some of your outfits aren't perfect. Just go back to panning for gold on the next one!


10. Just Add Body
Barcelona Cami in Black & White

The amount of reader connection between showing the product that I'm talking about (like the photo above left) vs. me actually wearing the product (right) is incredible. The same product gets considerably more clicks and discussion just by adding a human body to it. I know some of you will say, "DUH" to this one, but I was late to get the memo on this and kind of in denial about it.

In my early posts I would often say "I purchased this shirt" and just link to it. I'm really trying to avoid that altogether now and aim for wearing the actual items I buy or show them on another blogger. Sometimes it means I have to wait awhile before I share something I'm excited about, but it's worth it to make the connection.


11. Most Clicked Product
Portofino Shirts in Solids / Oversized Plaid / Contrast Piping

I wear one of these shirts every week and blog about them at least as much, so it's really no surprise that The Portofino Shirt in all its colors and prints is the most clicked item from this blog according to my stats. I keep telling myself my collection is complete but they keep making new prints and colors that I love. Resistance is futile.


12. In Other News
Zip Front Cami /  Solid Portofino Shirts in Oasis Blue & Mars Red / Snakeskin Portfino (Source)

I'm still obsessed with spotting clothes from Express on TV, and a few of my local news people in particular seem to be regular shoppers. The Portofino Shirt is the piece I see the most often, and I have to confess: even though there's another local news station that has better content (in my opinion), I watch this one for the clothes!

13. Gratitude

I really and truly cannot give enough thanks to those of you who have helped me create my blog content by allowing me to use your photos, interview you, interview your kids, probe into your spending habits, etc. I can't do this without you!

I'm also grateful to each of you who comment regularly and boost my morale. It's definitely one of the best rewards of blogging!

And for those of you who just quietly visit, your support also means a lot to me! I hope I can continue to bring you content that informs and entertains and brings you back for another visit!

* * *
Third Thursday Threads!

And just one last thing!  Tomorrow I am co-hosting a link-up with Bri of Work Clothes, I Suppose (that's her above, of course!). It's not my usual posting day but some things are worth a little scheduling change. The theme for the link-up (and for my post) is PINK in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month. So if you have a recent look featuring something pink we'd love to have you link up with us!

Shop the Post:





Also linking up with:

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. Last night on pinterest, I was searching for outfit inspo and "ran into" your scuba legging pin again! I love that! It gets me so excited! And totally agree that not everything will be perfect but its all a learning and evolving process. Ultimately this is my hobby and i do it for fun so I can't take myself too seriously right? Great learnings my friend! Happy 13 months again! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina Fey really has some words of wisdom and it's nice to hear that from someone who is UBER successful! Your posts inpsire my style all of the time and I cannot NOT think of you every time I am in Express. I try on things I have seen on your blog and it gets my creative juices flowing! Keep on being awesome! xo
    Mariannne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did come across that Scuba Leggings/Coral Leopard Scarf pin on Pinterest the other day!! I was so excited for you bc it was like, "hey, I know that girl" and I felt like you were famous, lol!! Again, I enjoyed this second part too...thanks for always reaching out to us other Bloggers and being huge supporters for us too! :-) Congrats on 13 Months!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No thank you! Fro having such an amazing blog :) Yes people deff have a connection when you actually wear the clothes you're blogging about that's why I started doing outfit photos. At first, I just wanted to write lol. I have the blue portofino that the anchor is wearing YAY!! :) Can't wait to style it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny but I think I saw your pins on pinterest way before I followed your blog, so you are totally pinterest famous. I love that quote by Tina and I totally agree, just do your best and let go. To me a great blogger is one who's personality comes through her post, it's not all about the fashion but you do have a great sense of style. So happy to have met you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those camis that you featured. They are gorgeous and add a dressy touch to the look.

    Ellen | A Pop of Pink

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love seeing the item next to you actually wearing it but I never really connected how helpful that was. You are always teaching me things Gina! I love seeing what your most pinned/clicked items are. You totally sold me on the portofino.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shirts and camis you posted! I love these kinds of posts!

    Pink Champagne Problems

    ReplyDelete
  9. love love LOVE the portofino and the barcelona tanks! My favorite things ever! I wish I could have them in every single color. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like I said before, I just love how "you" come out of every post. You just made me decided to stop looking for a perfect post each time, and just do it and let go. I don't have enough cami and I will be slowly stocking up on both the Portofino Shirts and the Barcelona Cami, They are timeless and will last a long time in my closet.

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that it makes such a difference seeing a piece on someone as opposed to just by itself, there are so many pieces that I see on bloggers and when I go to the website I am so surprised because had I seen the piece by itself first I would have never given it a second look.

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours is one of the few blogs I read anymore. I enjoy your writing very much! I'm guilty of just looking at the pretty photos on some blogs ( mostly the top tier girls) because I don't feel connected with them at all. It's funny how different blogs can be, even when under the same category as style or fashion. I love the quote from Tina! Great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post.

    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the portofino shirts!

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Gina, I enjoy reading your blog posts, they are always very creative and informative. Great job!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Tina Fey quote. Ok I have a silly question but how do you know what's getting re-pinned and how often? Am I the only one who doesn't know about this?
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is probably a better way to do this, but I stumbled across my own pin and when I clicked on it, there was an option on the page to "view all pins from this source." So I clicked on that, and that lead me to a page with everything that had been pinned from my blog. Then I just scanned through each pin to see how many times it had been re-pinned.

      Delete
  17. This was such a great two part series to celebrate your 13 months of blogging! Your posts are always so creative and I love seeing pieces on you versus stock photos. It makes a huge difference!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so happy that you have this blog!! I look forward to every post and love seeing you feature other bloggers. I have to constantly remind myself that this post or that post isn't going to be perfect. I'm especially hard on myself with the pictures. But if I continue getting a handful of readers, I'm happy. And it's funny that you look for Express clothes on TV. I do the same thing with J. Crew.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yours is definitely one of my favorite blogs because you really do have some great original content that I don't see anywhere else! I don't know how you come up with your ideas, but keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO so much for your words Erin! It really means a lot. :)

      Delete
  20. I love that most repinned look - to be honest, it's so simple and almost anyone could wear it. I see so many outfits on pinterest and think yeah that's cute but I'd never wear it. I would wear that outfit (minus the scuba and just wear leggings or black jeans lol just me personally).

    ReplyDelete
  21. As I'm reading some of these comments, I wish there was a LIKE button lol. The Tina Fey quote is spot on and great advice for bloggers both old and new. Well, after seeing the Barcelona Cami on both yourself and Rachelle, I think it's time I invest in on. That item is too gorgeous to continue to pass up :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. How could one not love Tina Fey... she is just fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Another great and entertaining post! Love the quote from Tina Fey, I so need to let go and not try to always have the perfect posts or outfits. I'm so hard on myself like we all are sometimes. I really need a Barcelona cami now!!
    Marta
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really liked these two posts! I never knew that you could check how many people click on your post in a link-up so you are definitely not the last person to know. Thanks for the great reminder that this is a journey. I like the Tina Fey quote.

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the "Just add body" pics...and what a body too, hot stuff ;-)

    But seriously - I definitely love it when I'm deciding whether to purchase something online - and can see what it looks like when worn on another blogger - am much more likely to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I placed a pretty sizeable Express order and it arrived yesterday (ie, that plaid shirt from IG!) and I totally thought, "Gina would be proud of meeee!" :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really wanted to finish reading your Thirteen Things and am just now catching up. I so agree that not every post you publish will be your best. The funny thing is that sometimes the ones that you're not so happy about are the ones that end up getting a lot of comments or clicks. You just never know. You made me realize that I really should be using my blog analytics more often. There is so much information that I could be using! Congrats again! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  28. OK I'm a newbie and feel silly for asking this question. How do you add a Pinit button to your images ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheryl, I found this article very helpful for walking me through the steps on how to add a pin hover button. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!