10/6/14

Not Lost in Translation

|
I've had to learn several skills I never knew I would need since I started blogging, like how to make a photo collage, how to create Fashion Horoscopes, and how to use Polyvore. In addition to learning how to create outfit sets with Polyvore, I've found it helpful and fun to to "translate" the perfectly placed 2-D articles of clothing into real life outfits. So today I'm sharing a few Polyvore-to-real-life outfits based on Polyvore sets created by my friends Carylee and Rachelle.

Polyvore Set by Carylee:

Carylee created this first set after I asked her for some ideas on how to style my Tile Blue Barcelona Cami from Express. Since she based her creation on things she knew I had in my closet, I didn't have to make many substitutions during translation.


Real Life Translation:

Outfit Breakdown:

Jacket: Express (Licorice) / Barcelona Cami: Express (Tile Blue) / Necklace: Express / Peep Toe Booties: Forever 21 /

Jacket: Express (Similar) / Barcelona Cami: Express / Plum Jeans: Express (Similar) / Boots: Target (Similar) / Scarf: Express


Jacket: Express (Similar) / Barcelona Cami: Express / Jeans: Express (Similar) Shoes: Nordstrom / Necklace: Express (Similar) /


Polyvore Sets by Rachelle:

I compiled the three outfits in this set from two different posts Rachelle did here and here. When I saw her original posts with these sets, I pinned them to my Pinterest board for future outfit ideas since so many of the pieces she used looked very similar to something I owned.



Real Life Translation:

Outfit Breakdown:
B/W Plaid Shirt: Express / Black Skinnies: Express / Leopard Wedges: Nordstrom / Necklace: Nordstrom (Similar) / Bracelet: Express (Similar)


Blue Plaid Shirt: Express / Necklace: Express (Similar) / White Skinnies: Express / Black Flats: Similar / Belt: Target

Moto Jacket: Express / Heather Grey Tank: Target / Necklace: Express (Similar) / Leopard Wedges: Nordstrom / White Skinnies: Express

 * * *
As usual, I enjoyed letting someone else do the creative work of putting together an outfit and just following along with their formula. I can definitely see a few of these outfits ending up in my regular rotation! 

Thanks for reading today and I hope you'll check back on Wednesday to see which two bloggers I'm taking on my next virtual Coffee Date!

Shop the Post:


Also Linking up with:
Marvelous Monday / Rachelle & Charnele / Rhea & Ashley / Fashionably Employed / Liz
Laura / Laura , Erin, Rebecca / Shanna / Alison / Lindsey / Tara / Grace / Elizabeth / Brenna
Jacqueline & Elle / Marianne / Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci /  Fashion Friday


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        

CONVERSATION

58 comments:

  1. These are great outfit inspirations! You did such a great job recreating them! These looks are so wearable and are definitely interchangeable! I need to start doing this for myself. Maybe it would make my life easier when I get dressed for work in the morning! Ha!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! It definitely makes getting dressed easier when you have the "recipe" in front of you.

      Delete
  2. Well, you are just the most perfect model to dress! I love these real life recreations! I will definitely be recreating Rachelle's set myself! Carylee | morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only on the Internet can I be a "perfect model" at 5'4" and my age. LOL! Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  3. I can't get enough of plaids!!!... and Express has great options! You did a great job recreating the outfits!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I had zero plaid shirts and now I have THREE from Express. Oops!

      Delete
  4. Carylee and Rachelle's put together some great sets for inspiration! I really like seeing them translated to real life! All are super cute!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill! And I agree- they have a great knack for creating these sets.

      Delete
  5. All of your recreation are perfect. The second option from Carylee I can recreate too, I recently just order a maroon color jeans, and the plaid outfits is a no brainier since I love plaids. Nicely done as always Gina :D

    Kreyola Jounerys | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kreyola! Can't wait to see how you style your maroon jeans.

      Delete
  6. What great style options Gina - I can always count on you for that! Why don't you share this great post or any other OOTD at the TREND SPIN LINKUP which I'm co-hosting with Laura & Erin today till Tuesday next week - hope to see your pretty face there!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! I am all linked up now. :)

      Delete
  7. Love all 3 cobalt cami looks! I got my first barcelona cami and it fits perfect! Can't wait to style it but I'm already planning on getting another!

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GLAD to hear you are loving your new Barcelona cami! And yes, now you will want them in all the colors. Can't wait to see how you wear it!

      Delete
  8. love seeing my set come to life and they look great on you. Like Carylee said you are the perfect model. Going to copy Carylee's set too as I have that cami and similar pieces.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thanks for letting me use your sets for this post. You have such a great eye.

      Delete
  9. You always do such a great job at recreating outfits!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great selection. xx

    http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard about Polyvore but never used it, will definitely be checking it out! I always use PicMonkey. Love all of these outfit creations, will definitely be pinning them for future reference :)

    xo, Jasmin
    www.jasmindaily.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Polyvore and PicMonkey are definitely two different creatures. Both are very useful tools for blogging though!

      Delete
  12. Fun post!! It's always great to see a polyvore set come to life! The tile blue cami is such a gorgeous shade of blue!! Love it! And you have some fabulous plaid in your closet!! Fun!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie! Last year I never found just the right plaid shirt for me and suddenly I have three! Oops!

      Delete
  13. Love these moodboards by Cary and Rachelle and your real life interpretation of the same! The cobalt and white is by far my fav,but then i am always partial to cobalt :D. Have a great week ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore the summer version of the cobalt + white outfit over the weekend and I have to agree - it's a great combo!

      Delete
  14. One of the best parts about blogging is getting ideas from other people. Love how you implemented them all. :)

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  15. seriously everything looks amazing on you ;) the blue top is such a pretty colour, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love all of them!

    Irene
    www.thedailylace.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love every recreation! Great job!
    http://www.fashionablyspeakn.com/2014/10/meet-cast-neon-varsity.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha it is so true all the random skills we have to acquire for blogging! I used polyvore when picking out jewelry for my bridesmaids dresses! It made it so easy to be able to place things with it and see if they would really go well, since I obviously don't have a dress to try it on with!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad you were able to translate your blogging skills into real life use!

      Delete
  19. Polyvore is great for visualizing your style imagination. I love it too! Your outfits look all amazing on you as usual. Especially lovely shirts, flats combos. Always fun visiting you Gina. Happy new week! XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind words Elif!

      Delete
  20. I always wondered what program you use for these collages. i use Photoshop but might check Polyvore out to see if it easier. I love the outfits you guys put together for your Barcelona cami. The color is so pretty!!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never used Photoshop! So I'm not sure which one is easier but Polyvore is definitely very handy for blogging. It changed my blogging-abilities dramatically!

      Delete
  21. This is amazing to see put together in real life!! Carylee and Rachelle are experts at putting together these inspiration boards! I need to learn how to better incorporate some onto my blog! I seriously would wear every single outfit you have above! I just love your style!!

    Hope you had a great weekend!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost ugly-cried at your comment, Erica! I am seriously flattered if you would wear ANYTHING Id wear! LOL. And yes, Polyvore is a very helpful tool for blogging!

      Delete
  22. Hey IG friend! I am always excited to see which looks you have recreated on your blog. I like how you pull from fellow bloggers or are inspired by looks worn by famous people. I am still learning and finding out about everything you mentioned *le sigh*. I love these looks, my faves are the blue cami with the black and white jacket as well as the white jeans with leather jacket combo! As always you look great :)

    www.dressed2dnines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Daphne! Blogging is definitely a learning process! You are doing amazing so far!

      Delete
  23. Loving the cobalt cami! I would wear all of these looks in a heartbeat. I am so desperate to wear jeans again, and am hoping I can later this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle! I don't mind the shorts weather but also wouldn't mind if it dropped back into the 80s!

      Delete
  24. I'm terrible at using polyvore and just prefer photoshop, but your outfits came out awesome! I love all the outfits with the plaid shirts, so perfect for fall :)

    Mili

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried photoshop! Good to know you can create similar sets with that!

      Delete
  25. That cobalt is the best color! And you know I love plaid. You did an awesome job recreating all outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are such a good real life model, all those outfits look great, and I am in love with your plum jeans, what an awesome color

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia! And yes, plum jeans are sooo great for fall! Mine are from Express and they do have a similar pair this year.

      Delete
  27. Prettyyyyy sure I definitely need the cami and the plaid shirt. ASAP! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely would not regret getting them!

      Delete
  28. Love the outfits, especially with the blue cami! Such a pretty color, and it's nice that someone else did most of the work for you;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love how you recreated these looks - I had a hard time picking out my favourite - but I think it has to be the one with the B/W plaid shirt - so classy!

    Also - you have the perfect figure - everything looks great on you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such an excellent idea! I do it too and I just pinned that gray t-shirt with leather jacket and white jeans. Perfect. I might wear it tomorrow! :)

    Thanks for linking up at Whatcha Wearing Wednesday!
    L,
    Vicky
    TheMummyChronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those leopard flats with that Moto jacket is my fav!
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!