10/3/14

Friday Favorites 10/3/14

|
Like most Fridays I'm sharing some of my favorite things today, most of them involving fashion and shopping at Express, so here we go...

1. Houndstooth Skirt 

My featured piece this week is this Express Houndstooth Skirt.  I always love to see how two people can walk out of a store with the same item but style it completely differently based on their personal taste, climate, etc. I loved both of these looks by Marianne and Dee. Marianne made hers edgy-glam and perfect for actual fall weather, while Dee wore hers sexy-sophisticated glam for date night and faux-fall weather.

You know who else likes houndstooth skirts? Celebrities like Selena Gomez and Kate Middleton:


2. Forever 21 Shoes


I purchased these peep-toe booties back in April (see post here) and have loved wearing them through spring, summer, and now fall. They are way more versatile than I expected so I've easily gotten my $32 out of them. I got a a few comments on them when I posted the outfit above left on Instagram, and after months of being only able to list similar options, I'm happy to share that they are back in stock at Forever 21.

And in case you missed it the first time around, here's a look at the similar options for these booties with some comparison on the details:

Cognac Slingback Clog/Mule options

Left: Express Ankle Strap Heeled Runway Clog (4" heel)
Middle: Forever 21 Sophisticated Slingback Booties (3.5" heel - the exact pair I'm wearing)
Right: Target Kacie Bootie (2.5" heel)


3. Insta-Inspiration

TWICE in the past week I copied an outfit that came up in my Instagram feed almost-instantly, so yes, despite being a late-adopter on Instagram I'm officially a fan and totally addicted.

First I saw this outfit on @janet.lowe on Saturday and decided it was the perfect thing to wear the following day for running around town. Of course, seeing her outfit made me wish I had a yellow bag and leopard slip-on sneakers STAT, but I made do with what I had:


Most of the pieces I'm wearing are not current (except my shoes), but here are a few options for very similar items: 
Stripes & Sneakers

Top: Striped Sweater: 6 pm  / Striped Sweater Forever 21 / Striped Boatneck Tee: Target 

Bottom: Leopard Slip-ons: Target  / Converse Chuck Taylor:  Nordstrom


Fast forward to Tuesday, Noelle posted a preview of an outfit she was sharing on her blog here. I already had the exact top and exact jacket, so I just switched up a couple of other elements based on what I had:
My outfit: Jacket  Express (in Foliage) / Barcelona Cami: Express (True White) / Jeans: Nordstrom (Similar) / Shoes: DV Safia (Nordstrom and Macy's - on clearance both places so size availability will vary) / Necklace: Express

So I definitely have #noregrets on joining Instagram, and thanks to everyone who pushed me to join and who keep me inspired!
* * *

Thanks for checking out my favorite things this week. Have a great weekend and see you back on Monday!


Linking up with:
Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci /  Fashion Friday 

CONVERSATION

34 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that houndstooth skirt Marianne wore the other day was from Express?!? It's a fabulous skirt for sure and I adore the way she wore it! I ran to Macy's yesterday at lunch with a Friend hoping to find those fabulous leopard cage heels you're wearing...no luck there, but they were having a "buy any two pairs and get 25% off" sale, so I DID buy the white Chuck Taylors...heehee!! As always, loving your faves for the week!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I have several pairs of shoes from Macy's but I've purchased all of them online! I wouldn't even know where to look in store! But glad you got the white Chucks! Hope you love them as much as I do!

      Delete
  2. That houndtooth skirt is so cute, it's really tempting me. These peep toe booties have been on my mind as well but I'm trying to be good lol. IG is fun right and very good for outfit inspo.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That skirt is SO your style. It would look great on you. :)

      Delete
  3. Funny because right before I read this, Express sent me an email about that skirt being $80 off! I fear it will fit the same as the floral skirt though so i shall just sigh and admire it from afar. It really is a great piece! And I must say, I find just a leeetle but of delight every time you confess your newfound IG obsession. :) Love that I can stalk you there now too! And I'm totally replicating the twill Moto and white Barci look!!
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Isn't that such a great combo! Glad you are enjoying my new addiction, and I will admire that skirt from afar along with you. It's a gorgeous piece but one I know would not get enough use in my life. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It looks like I am in great company! Dee looks GORGEOUS and I love the way she styled the skirt too! We obviously both agree that red should be paired with houndstooth! I love that jacket worn by you and Noelle! I must have missed that in my Express. It's perfect for the fall and I was looking for something just like it! I'm going to have to check it out!
    Thanks for the shout out and I hope you have a fab weekend! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen the black version of that twill jacket in my local store, yet it comes in SIX colors! If you decide you need it, you might have to order it online :)

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize that houndstooth skirt was from Express either!! Such a great piece and so versatile too. You are making me want to get my Instagram up and going sounds so fun. I have it set up but never seem to get to posting to it so maybe I'll take the plunge soon;) Enjoy your weekend Gina!
    Marta, xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Definitely join!! If I can become a believer anyone can. :)

      Delete
  6. I like seeing how a piece is styled by different people. I love that houndstooth skirt and how Marianne and Dee styled it! Your IG outfit recreation is super cute!

    Jill
    www.dousedinpink.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this blog! I love the recreations! I have a pair of those leopard slide on's I have had them for like 7 yrs but wore them like twice! Time to break them out!
    http://www.fashionablyspeakn.com/2014/10/fringe-t-shirt-necklace-diy.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words Alela!

      Delete
  8. Coming from dating and then marrying an Alabama fan, houndstooth is so funny to me. It is everywhere there! I especially love that last outfit! I totally should have bought those F21 booties... Happy Friday friend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a West coaster for life...I have to admit I don't understand the Alabama reference!! I will have to look that one up. :)

      Delete
  9. I had to laugh at the Kate Middleton picture. Do you think she has morning sickness in this photo because she looks a bit pale. Ha ha. I'm seeing houndstooth a lot this fall. I used to have a pencil skirt in this pattern - about 10 years ago. It's interesting how things cycle through the fashion world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID TOO!! Ha ha. I remember thinking it was so cool and on trend. Everything comes full circle, doesn't it?

      Delete
  10. That houndstooth skirt is just too cute! I loved it so much but I already have two black and white patterned skirts so I made myself put it back on the rack :(.
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hard to make those decisions- if only we had unlimited closet space!

      Delete
  11. I didn't even know Express had a houndstooth skirt. I'm looking for that type of pattern as well. I love how both ladies wore it. Between you and Carylee, I have been dreaming about booties...I need a black pair lol :D.

    Kreyola Jounerys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not to tempt you or anything but all of those options I showed above do come in black as well!

      Delete
  12. oh my gosh that houndstooth skirt is GORGEOUS. i have been looking for one for work FOREVER but that is way too short for me womp womp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for including me once again Gina! It always makes me smile :) I love how you've worn your jacket with jeans! That's my next look. In fact, I have a birthday party in sd in a couple weeks and that's what I'll wear. I'm so happy you're on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for the shout out & kind words!! Loved the post today...fabulous, as usual! Looking forward to what you have in store for Monday!!
    Xoxo, Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those houndstooth skirt is beautiful. I actually don't own a pair but might have to add to the thrift wish list now. They both did a great job in styling it.

    Thrifting Diva
    www.thriftingdiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the houdstooth trend! We all know if Kate Middleton is wearing it then it's a wardrobe must have.
    www.DressesandDenim.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The houndstooth skirt is so beautiful, it is always a piece I am drawn to. So gorgeous and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore the print of your skirt. It is perfect for spring, autumn and winter too. Lovely outfit here.
    xxx
    mari
    www.ilovegreeninspiration.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not on instagram either lol which is a good thing because at the moment I have no time for it. Love your F21 Booties. Your pair and the Express pair are my faves. And that full, mini houndstooth skirt is gorgeous. Loved that outfit on Marianne. But the other blogger did a great job, also. Your Friday posts have so much inspiration and are usually the posts I pin the most from you lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!