9/24/14

The Shopping Date

|
Well, it finally happened. I finally had the chance to meet up with Carylee in real life. We've been on a virtual coffee date before (this post), we've collaborated together on endless projects from our weekly link-ups to dozens of outfit posts, and we text and email each other constantly. But we had never been able to meet in person! So Monday was a pretty special day full of shopping and fun so it deserves its own post.


If you read Carylee's blog and expect that she will be friendly, outgoing, energetic and upbeat with lots of big, fabulous, glamorous hair, you won't be a tiny bit disappointed in person. 

If you read my blog and expect me to be a little guarded, slow to warm up to people, a little sarcastic and honest to a fault...well...I guess you'll just have to read what Carylee says about me to see if it's true!

Luckily neither one of us felt a ton of pressure to wear extra special outfits for our meetup because we both already know 90% of each other's wardrobe from blogging. It was more about being comfortable for lots of walking, try-ons, and both indoor Air Conditioning and outdoor temps in the 80s.

I went with the Reese Witherspoon and Lauren Conrad-inspired Signature Shopping Look:
Top: Similar / Belt: Gap / Shorts: Similar / Sandals: Sam Edelman Sutton (Similar)

After we met (complete with hugging and squealing like school girls), Carylee asked me if the top I was wearing was from Express. But of course it is! The bad news is that it was a very limited edition option last winter. The good news is that there are several very similar tops at Express and LOFT:
LOFT & Express Blue Shirt Options

Essential Softened Shirt / Light Wash Denim Boyfriend Shirt / Seamed Chambray Softened Shirt /

Carylee also pointed out that I'm definitely not tall. Its kind of ironic that I manage to look shorter in person with my entire head attached than I do on the blog without it! On the plus side, she said I don't have a man's voice in person. I'm not sure if that means I write with a masculine voice, but I can live with that as long as I still sound female in person.

After a brief around-the-house tutorial on how I create Instagram Magic out of Mundane Locations (possibly a topic for a future post...), we headed off to the mall and started with lunch at Nordstrom Café to fuel up on Salmon Niçoise Salad:
Image via: Flavor the Moments

Then it was on to the important stuff: shopping. We decided to save the best for last (you know where I'm going with this) and hit up several other stores first like Nordstrom, Kate Spade and ZARA. Not one purchase was made in any of these stores. Most of the clothes looked very winter-y, and it was too hard to even think about putting any of that on while walking around this scene on a warm, sunny day:

So it was finally time to visit the store that brought us together. We browsed through pieces commenting on what we have, what we've seen on other people, what we want to try and what the hell were they thinking with the sequins on this otherwise cute plaid shirt?

I didn't try on a lot of things on this visit because the main things on my Express wishlist weren't in store (the Twill Moto Jacket in Ink Blue and the Crisscross Skirt Carylee is wearing above). But here's what I did try vs. the stock photos:

Long Sleeve Zip Back Trapeze Dress: (in Currant)
Long Sleeve Zip Back Trapeze Dress: I'm not much of a dress person, but I was really drawn to this color. Carylee noticed that the fabric was very thin, and while that wouldn't work for her climate, it would be great for me. That said, I hadn't seen the stock photo of this and wow, it's a lot different in person! The model must be wearing a size up to get such a relaxed fit. It's not extremely fitted on me, but definitely moreso than the model. It's also a lot longer on me. (Sorry to be redundant, but I'm only 5'4" after all!)

Satin Asymmetrical Hem Skort (Garnet Red) and Graphic Tee (Exact not online yet):
Satin Asymmetrical Hem Skort: There were several color and print options of this skort and while it fit true-to-size for me, Carylee tried on two of these and found some variance in the sizing. One thing that doesn't show accurately in my pictures or the stock photo is just how shiny this skort looks in person depending on the lighting. It makes the piece a lot dressier vs. casual in my opinion. So even though I liked the fit and thought it was cute, I can't see myself having an occasion to wear it in the near future and I passed for now.

I posted three weeks ago (here) that I had a red handbag on my wishlist for fall. When I prepared that post, I searched the Express website for red handbags and didn't find any with a top zipper. They all had a flap or foldover opening and that's just not my thing. But then in store this time there were a few new red handbag options at Express. Coincidence? I think so, and I'm not complaining.

One of their red bags looked very designer-inspired:

Red Bowler Bags


I considered that one first, but then I ended up getting the Small Winged Convertible Satchel in red. I don't usually think to try on handbags, but strangely enough this one does look bigger on the model than. me. Then I took an extra photo with my Triple Entry Crossbody Bag (far right) to show how the size of the satchel compares to that. After trying this bag on at home it might end up going back because all things being equal in the outfit, I think I prefer the look and size of the hot pink bag

We finished up at Express and were ready for a caffeine break at Starbucks. Because we're bloggers and sometimes you just have to give into the cliché.

We sat down with our drinks and Carylee's über-patient husband (our chauffeur and occasional photographer for the day) re-joined us while we chatted, edited photos and synchronized the posting of our adventures on Instagram. A couple of extra #OOTD selfies were in order before we left, and we both found it amusing how much more bold we could be taking photos as a duo than we would normally be on our own. #Noshame went to an all new level, and it was fun!

Unfortunately the fun had to come to an end at that point. Carylee headed back up north to stay with her family and I headed home to take care of mine. But it was a blast while it lasted and so great to make our friendship Real Life Official. I'm normally an independent, "I shop alone" kind of person but I would gladly shop with Carylee again any time. And hopefully it won't take another year for us to make that happen!

Shop the Post:

Linking up with:
Shanna / Alison / Lindsey  / Victoria / Mix & Match Fashion Jacqueline & Elle / Fashion Friday / JennaCrystal & Lindsay / Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci 

CONVERSATION

65 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect shopping date. Maybe maybe I'm a little envious lol, but I'm really happy for you guys. So glad to have met you too. Did you get that trapeze dress? It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one of these days we'll get to meet you too! And at least you have Charnele nearby. I didn't get the trapeze dress- it just didn't feel like "me."

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you guys finally got to meet in person! How cool and it looks like you had tons of fun from your posts and Instagram. Making friends after college is hard and you both are so lucky to have found each other. That garnet skort is really cute, but it's good to know that the fabric is dressier. That's disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy - it was a great day. And yes, I already felt the skort was a "look at me" piece, the shine just made it too much for me to feel like I could wear it on a regular weekday.

      Delete
  3. The long sleeve dress is perfect! Love the fit and color for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. For the RECORD, it's not that I thought you would have a man voice it's just that i hadn't heard your voice before and thought it couldn't be possible for one person to be so perfect that it would be ironic and shocking if you had a strong trait like a man voice!!! Hahaha
    I was also impressed by the salad pic and wondering how I missed you taking the pic! :)
    I'm also LOLing because we totally described our visit similarly in places even though we didn't share these posts with each other ahead of time #greatminds
    It was definitely the most fun shopping I have had in a long time and we are definitely not waiting another year!!! <3 http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! And! I'm really surprised how that dress fits! Not what I was expecting at all! I was picturing it more fitted so I was confused when you said you felt like a skater. Totes makes sense now! The color is great but it definitely looks more 90s skater than current day skater.

      Delete
    2. Haha one more!! Your top down pic of us is way better than mine turned out! Yay!

      Delete
    3. I would need to see your top-down pics to compare. Wait, that sounds wrong....

      And I knew what you meant about the man voice, just loved that it was so randomly the second thing you noticed!

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet post & that must've been so awesome to finally meet up!! I love you in that asymmetrical skirt & the trapeze dress looks fantastic on you-I want that too.
    Marta, xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!! I'm so happy for you guys that you actually got to meet & shop together (can I also say that where ever that is you guys were shopping is gorgeous!)!! And I'm with Carylee (as I posted on IG)...I love that shirt you're wearing, so I'll definitely have to check out the options you listed for that! I liked your comment about not feeling pressure to wear something extra special for the meetup...what you said makes perfect sense! My first thought would have been "omg, what do i wear?!?", haha!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I mean obviously I didn't want to wear running shorts and a tank top, but I also didn't feel extra pressure to impress so that was nice. Hope we get to meet you soon!

      Delete
  7. This post makes me so happy! So glad you all got to do this. I loovvee the bag you chose. I think you made the right pick. I totally think you should have gotten the skort. It looks fab on you. Also, I want that salmon salad.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amy Ann! I do love the look of the skort, just wouldn't feel comfortable in something that short & dressy for everyday wear.

      Delete
  8. This looks like SO much fun! And I love that purple dress on you, super chic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool!! I really like that fact you guys did a meet up. The interaction between you to must have been great lol. I so like the Asymmetrical Hem Skort, but they always so tight on the hips for me and I so prefer the loose and relax looks (it is perfect on you). Maybe I should just go big.

    Kreyola Jounerys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I think it's definitely a piece you have to try for yourself to decide. I liked it more than I expected!

      Delete
  10. Aww I love this post! Glad you ladies had such a great time!

    xoxo jenna @ sincerely jenna marie
    PS- I'd love for you to stop by Thursday to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so fun that you got to meet and spend time together! Love the color of the trapeze dress and asymmetrical skirt! They both look great on you!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Jill! And yes, it was so fun to meet up!

      Delete
  12. This is so fun! How awesome that you guys got to meet and go shopping together! I am normally an I want to shop alone person, too.. The only people i like shopping with are Tyler, my sister, and my mom haha!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Glad you can relate to being a mostly solo shopper!

      Delete
  13. So excited that you finally met, it sounds like the perfect shopping afternoon.

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was so well written because I felt like I was there with you guys! You described the outing so perfectly! I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous of your outing ( I'm also jealous you live so close to fashion valley). But I'm so happy you two hit it off in person! It's easy to have an online friendship, but you never how it will translate in real life! You girls sound like life-long friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noelle! I'm the outing translated well to the blog. And we 100% need you to be there next time!!

      Delete
  15. What a fun shopping date! That satin skirt would be great with tights and booties as well!
    ~Elise @ highheelsglitteringeyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds cute! thanks for the idea Elise!

      Delete
  16. aw so sweet you all go to meet! love it. I definitely did think you were tall, but I just assume most people are. Lol. You sound like me- a little guarded, slow to warm up to people, a little sarcastic and honest to a fault, though I'm not sure about the honest part. I don't lie but I don't like to hurt peoples feelings. I make up for it by being super blunt and more sarcastic ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Sorry to be so deceptive about my height to everyone! My problem with honesty is just speaking before I think all too often. You can usually find a way to re-word something more tactfully without lying. I just forget to do it wayyy too often!

      Delete
  17. Sounds like the perfect blate! And I couldn't agree with you more about all the "wintery" clothes that hit stores while it's still so hot out that I sweat just looking at them. When you live in Florida and they have boots and sweaters out in July.. it's just ridiculous :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter where I live stores just seem to put clothes out at a certain time, regardless of the weather! I figured maybe all the tourists here are buying winter stuff to take back home.

      Delete
  18. I'm totes jelly, as my daughter would say or used to say cuz I'm sure they use different terminology now that I've caught on. The whole date sounds like it was so much fun! I love the chambray outfit you wore. How funny that you're a "I shop alone" kind of person cuz so am I! It's mostly because I have my own agenda and I feel bad having other people follow it. But I love to shop with other people just for fun. Anyway, this was a fun post to read. ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Glad you can relate to the "I shop alone" issues! Maybe it's an Aquarian thing!

      Delete
  19. I saw the pics on IG and I loved them! I also loved your shopping outfit!

    http://misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can tell you had so much fun at your shopping date. I LOVE your asymmetrical shorts!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes- we really had a great time.

      Delete
  21. Blogger meet ups are so much fun. I have a blogger friend here in my area, and it is such a joy. We both understand the "need" to take outfit photos, can talk on end about chickens, vintage shopping, and our favorite local restaurants. I'm so glad that you two had a blast! The part about not having a 'mans voice' was hilarious!

    Amber
    A•Mused Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Amber! You're so lucky to have a blogger friend nearby! It's definitely nice having someone speak my language. :)

      Delete
  22. Love these looks. You can never go wrong with Lauren. I get inspired every time I walk into the office. Fabulous post, love. If you get a moment, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xx :)

    www.fashboulevard.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH this looked like such a fun day!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!! So great that you got to spend time together in person and I felt like I was there with you! So fun! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun. Glad you enjoyed the post Marianne!

      Delete
  24. You girls are too cute! So glad you got hang out in real life! And for a shopping date, no less. :) Awesome!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. You both look so cute and fun!
    xo, Jane
    http://www.fitfabfunmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is amazing that you got to meet up <3 When I saw the ig post, I wanted to be there and join in the fun. :) Maybe one day we'll all go on one huge fashion bloggers shopping day. :) Loved reading about your day. I will now go and read Carylee's version. :) XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet you! Maybe next time I'm in Portland we'll set something up! :)

      Delete
  27. looks so fun! i can't wait to go on a shopping date this weekend with my daughter! love the cambry top paired with shorts by the way looks super cute!

    Delightful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's sweet to have a shopping date with your daughter! :)

      Delete
  28. Aww it sounds like a wonderful day! Must be fun to be able to meet up and shop with a blogger buddy! :)

    I really like that dress you tried on - such a nice shape :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mica! It was a really great time!

      Delete
  29. Sounds like the best day EVER...meeting up with a blog friend is so much fun - but then when you add shopping and lunch to the mix - it's a dream date :-)

    I think you guys need to organize a Manic Monday meet-up (in Toronto so I don't have to travel far LOL... I might as well dream big!)

    MY BLOG: ♥♥♥ Ella Pretty ♥♥♥



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty amazing!! And LOL - I will add Toronto to the list of possible Manic Monday meetup destinations. :)

      Delete
  30. Ohhh I am so happy you two finally met in real life. I bet that was a huge milestone in your friendship and you both looked so stylish also. That Starbucks and especially the super yummy salmon salad sound so good right now. But I bet shopping was the best part. What did you two buy? I want to know lol.

    ReplyDelete
  31. She is my dream fashion date! How much fun you two got to meet yay!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Awww, reading this just made me happy! You guys are so cute together. And that salad looks positively delish!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!