8/18/14

Instagram: Just Do It

|
What do you get the girl who has everything for her birthday? Instagram. That's what. When she asks you to join Instagram 472 times and gently suggests it 235 more times and drops not-too-subtle hints about stuff you're missing out on 163 times*...when her birthday rolls around, you just do it.

*These numbers are not exact. Just approximations, and they may be exaggerated. Slightly.

So no more excuses. I just did it. I am on Instagram. For real.

So now when I decide to copy Carylee's outfit the day she posts it on her blog because I have a lot of the same pieces, I can be totally creepy and post my version of her outfit on my IG account the SAME day. Instead of a week later like I'm doing now.

And I've been practicing my hashtag usage. For this outfit, I might go with:

#imitationisflattery
#SoCalStyle
#toohotforajacketactually

Carylee's Outfit Details: Here.
My Outfit: Snakeskin Barcelona Cami: Express / Twill Jacket: Express / Shorts: Old Navy / Sandals: Sam Edelman Ginger / Necklace: Charlotte Russe (Similar) / Bracelet: Express

And if I had been on Instagram sooner, I might have already known that my favorite Express jacket (the one both of us are wearing above) now comes in SIX colors, and that my friend Skye recently picked up the olive version.

Express Twill Cuff Sleeve Moto Jacket in Olive

This jacket is one of the first products I ever posted about (here), and I still love it just as much now as I did then.  I used to think of it as a great seasonal transition piece. But for my warmer climate it's become a great year-round piece.

Seamed Twill Cuff Sleeve Moto Jacket: in Black, Foliage and Licorice


I don't want to look like a total idiot and commit all kinds of InstaSins when I start sharing pictures, so I also googled "Instagram Dos and Don'ts" and found this article from PC Mag helpful. Here are some of their suggestions:
  • Don't post more than one photo per day. (I don't see this being a problem.)
  • Do write captions or tags that explain the locations. (So... there will be a lot of #myhouse.)
  • Don't post #latergram pics (Like...how much later is unacceptable? Can I have an hour to edit?)
  • Don't ask other people to follow you. (I'm not asking anyone reading this to follow me. I'm just telling you that I'm on IG for informational purposes only. #passiveaggressive.)
I also had to tackle some new outfit selfie strategies before I felt comfortable signing up. Specifically the ubiquitous top-down outfit photo. Have you tried doing this? It's harder than it looks! But thanks to Carylee's tutorial on this I'm working on a new perspective for some outfit photos.  (And I'd love to share the tutorial with you but it would Insta-end my friendship cuz she's in her bathrobe in it...)

UPDATE: She posted an AMAZING, detailed, non-private tutorial HERE on how to take outfit selfies for Instagram.
Outfit Details: Black and White Barcelona Camis: Express / Black Shorts: J. Crew Factory / White Shorts: J. Crew / Hot Pink Bag: Express / Leopard Sandals: Sam Edelman Sutton / Black Sandals: Sam Edelman Georgia / Necklaces: Old Navy and Target

#thesearemypracticepicsfromtwoweeksago
#latergram
#alreadybreakingtherules

* * *
So after all the time she spends helping me (sometimes inadvertently) plan my outfits and creating custom, secret tutorials, I figure this is the least I can do in return. Happy Birthday Carylee, I am officially on Instagram. A special thank you goes to Ella Pretty Blog and PinkSole for answering 962* of my other IG questions so I could make the official launch a birthday surprise. And if any one else has any Instagram tips and tricks, favorite apps, dos and don'ts, photos you love to see or hate to see, I am all ears!

Shop the Post:


INSTAGRAM (FINALLY !)| Pinterest | Bloglovin' | Twitter 

Also linking up with:


Get Pin-Spired Linkup:  Pinterest Told Me ToThe Larson Lingo, and Mix & Match Mama


Marvelous Monday / Rachelle & Charnele /Paige Laura / Laura / Shanna / Alison / The Pleated Poppy / Tara 


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (INSTAGRAM, Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        


CONVERSATION

48 comments:

  1. I am crying! I am seriously so happy! It's so silly but I'm legit standing in my bathroom with wet hair and I screamed out loud like justin Timberlake himself walked in nekked and now I'm crying! I can't wait for all your fabulousness and I know the IG world will love it too!!!!! Http://morepiecesofme.com
    PS eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Awwww!! Happy Birthday!! I'm glad I can elicit almost the same reaction as a naked JT!! LOL. Thanks for letting me copy your outfit, too. haha.

      Delete
  2. I am soooo happy you are on IG you have no idea, let the stalking commence! I'm kidding but seriously welcome!

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'll be talking you right back like always. :) THANK you again for your help!

      Delete
  3. haha!! Welcome!! IG is prob my favorite social media...enjoy!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I can see why...it's so fun and addictive! Why did I wait so long?!

      Delete
  4. So glad you are finally on instagram! I am now following you. So glad Carylee pestered you long enough that you gave in. :) Love that snakeskin print.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow welcome to IG Gina....I will definitely look forward to see your fab self out there!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO Happy your are on ig Gina. I am CRAZY for ig, it is BY FAR my favorite social media, and I checked to see if you were there many times before. :) Welcome and bravo to Carylee for helping you make the jump <3 Going to find you right now. XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  7. My inner marketing professional is so happy you got IG, you will love it!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I know...I'm SO behind on this!

      Delete
  8. YAY for Instagram (although I haven't been on much myself lately)!!!!! The outfit selfies are hard to do. You should see my phone photos. There are sometimes 10 pictures of the same outfit to get just the right angle. My kids get embarrassed when they see me doing this even though we are in the house. I love the rules you found too. #myhouse Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I know what you mean. The two pictures I posted here probably took 20 failed efforts!

      Delete
  9. So glad you're on Instagram, Gina! Just followed you. I think I've already committed all of those IG Don'ts. I guess I have no etiquette when it comes to IG. Have a great week, Gina! ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, glad to see other rule breakers!! I'm sure eventually I'll break them all too! :)

      Delete
  10. YAY! I am so creepily excited that you are on instagram! yay yay.
    I am loving that jacket, super cute.
    i totally post more than one photo a day on IG and sometimes not at all, so screw you rules. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss...I love reading that everyone breaks those rules. :) Makes me feel less likely to make mistakes!

      Delete
  11. Love your Carylee inspired look! and YAY you're on Insta now! Just followed you

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! You both really rocked this cami stylishly!!!

    xo,
    Janise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! So excited your on Instagram! I just followed you! I'm selfie challenged so I always have someone take the pic for me.

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill!! You all are making this so fun. :)

      Delete
  14. FINALLY!!!!!! hahaha You are going to love it!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sooo happy, you will be hooked, and I spy a bright pink bag!!!!!

    Natalia

    PS we'll spare her because it's her birthday, but I need the top-down tutorial like yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heck yes, I'm wearing that pink bag as much as I can!! And I will try to push her to make that tutorial a REAL thing. It was truly helpful for me. :)

      Delete
  16. Hey!
    Cool! Welcome on Instagram. If you wanna let's follow each other: @sugarpopfashionbystella

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, so, so excited that you are now on Instagram!!! I followed you right away lol! Thank you Carylee! haha

    Hope you had a great weekend!!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's awesome! I'm so excited, I'll have to find you! I love Instagram, I'm totally addicted and obsessed! So funny that there are rules to it! I post more than once a day sometimes ;) I think because I don't have Facebook, I'm more addicted then others!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay!! Welcome to Instagram. It is so fun and addictive! I love that this was Carylee's bday gift! I hope you had a great weekend.

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you bit the bullet and joined! I can't wait to see all of the hashtags you create! Gonna be fun!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com
    #puthatinyourblogandpostit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay! Welcome to IG, Gina! I'll look for you =) Regarding the Express cuff, I love it so much. I've been wearing it every other day since I got it. You have to check it out. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ya I love Insta! I was actually trying stuff on in Express yesterday and wanted to tag you in a pic...now I can!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome to Instagram! It's so much fun ... you'll love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on joining! I joined a few months ago and have committed several sins already. I googled ways to get more exposure and was told to post twice a day, so I've been sorta doing that, but I'll stick to once a day unless something very interesting comes up. This is bad but I also copy other people's hashtags! :) I just followed you and OMG you already have 1/2 of my followers! LOL. One thing I also don't get is why people follow and unfollow. This must've happened to me like 10 times already. I don't quite understand that. =/

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you jumped on - you're going to love it! And you're such a natural...you need to teach me how to do those top down outfit posts...whenever I try I just end up with a picture of my stomach (!?!?!) LOL!

    I don't agree with some of the PC mag suggestions though - definitely post more than once a day! Location info is definitely not necessary unless it's a restaurant or resort...and latergrams are so useful...it doesn't all have to be real time. But yes - to the last one about leaving 'spam comments' (follow for follow? lol!)


    ReplyDelete
  26. Just followed you, girlfriend! :) @ashrockchalk

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. YAY! Welcome! Can't wait to follow you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OH MY WORD! Love the snakeskin top with the shorts. Such a great look on you! Thanks for linking up! xoxo, Sheaffer :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What great looks! Welcome to Instagram!! It is my favorite social media platform. :) I'll have to check out the post about how to take outfit selifies! I'm totally lost on that front. :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!