8/22/14

Friday Favorites 8/22/14

|
Happy Friday! Here are a few of my favorite things this week:

1) INSTAGRAM
Why, oh why didn't anyone tell me how fun and addictive Instagram could be? I would have joined ages ago if only I had known! Okay, fine. #YouWereRight #IwasWrong. Thanks to everyone for the push to join and for the support since I crawled out from under my rock and joined life in 2014.

For the most part I'm just doing #OOTD posts since I don't have a regular place for them on the blog or much else that's insta-worthy during the week. Here are the details of the outfits I shared this week (with the standard, unfiltered, indoor POV):

One: Barcelona Cami : Express ("Light Pink")  / Shorts: J. Crew Factory / Bracelet: Express / Sandals: Target / Necklace: Express

Two: Lace Tank: Express  ("Natural") / Orange Tank: Old Navy / Shorts: Old Navy  ("Magic Island") / Bracelet: Express / Necklace: Express / Booties: F21 (Similar)

Three: Barcelona Cami: Express / Shorts: J. Crew / Necklace: Express (shortened) /
Silver Link Bracelet: Express / Black Bead Bracelets: Express / Sandals: Macy's

Four: Portofino Shirt (Tile Blue): Express / Pendant Necklace: Express / Shorts: Old Navy / Pink Handbag: Express / Shoes: Sam Edelman Sutton

And P.S. Carylee pushed me to join IG, and I pushed her to make a suitable-for-the-public tutorial on how to take outfit selfies. She did it, and it's awesome, thorough and detailed. So if you've ever tried taking an outfit selfie and ended up with a collection of photos of just your shoes or boobs, she can help you here


2) #FAKEHAIRDONTCARE

As seen on Instagram and below, sometimes I wear clip-in hair extensions. I always wear them in ponytail and with a hat. I mainly do it on the weekends when I'm outdoors and near the coast a lot so there's no point in styling my hair (and I want the sun protection from the hat). That's the only way I personally wear extensions because I can't get the hang of styling them to blend and look normal on me. Plus, I really don't want to spend all that extra time applying them and styling them on a daily basis.  It's just too high maintenance for me. But the clip-in + ponytail + hat style is very fast so I'm a big fan.


I have Euronext Hair Extensions in True Blonde from Sally's. The shortest length they had was 14", and even that felt too long for me. So I ended up trimming mine about 2" after watching this YouTube tutorial on how to do it.

There were two other tutorials that were most helpful to me in learning how to attach them:

This one from Running on Happiness.

And this one from Lynette Marie.

So if you've ever thought about playing around with extensions, hopefully those will give you some extra pointers.


3) CONVERSION

Warning: This blog can make people shop at Express who previously did not. And I won't even try to hide the fact that I LOVE IT. It's fun and exciting to watch someone realize that they might have the wrong impression about that store. The most recent convert is Nicole from Nicole to the Nines. She's a classy, super stylish Atlanta blogger who didn't shop at Express, but might be changing her tune after picking up the Baroque Lace Tee after seeing it here a few times (e.g. this post).
Complete Outfit Details: Here

She made an excellent choice for a first item if I do say so myself, and of course, her styling is impeccable as always. I hope it won't be her last piece because I'm looking forward to getting more style inspiration from her!
* * *
The last couple of weeks I've had a lot of randomness on Fridays, but I've been keeping tabs on a lot of other great outfits with Express stuff as seen on other bloggers, so stay tuned for next week for the details!

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci Fashion Friday / Fashion Item Friday / Friday Frills / Natalia & Ashlyn / Megan

CONVERSATION

25 comments:

  1. You have the cutest necklace collection, I mainly don't wear hats because I feel they look better with long hair. duh... why didn't I think of that lol. Love how you wore your pink barcelona, so cute.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Rachelle and the necklace collection! That same one I was gushing over on IG, I am gushing over now! Will need to check it out and then refer back to your tutorial on shortening necklaces!! I'm really so crazy happy you joined IG. I admit sometimes I sit on your page and hit refresh. #sorryimnotsorry :)
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your black/red and blue/white looks! I'm glad you're enjoying Instagram its lots for fun

    Cha Cha The Fashion Genius

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many cute outfits for your IG OOTD shots! Really love the red shorts outfit & the white shorts one too-the blue top & leopard shoes look great together!! The ponytail looks so good with the hats too:)
    Marta, xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I AM SO glad you are on Instgram now... look at all these cute outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your on Instagram and love seeing your OOTD's!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you wore extensions! I would love to get some to throw into my hair when I want to braid it so that it is thicker, but I cannot imagine spending the time every day to clip them in like you said!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well we are just as happy to see you on IG as you are to be there!! Love seeing your new pics :-) The necklace you have on from the black and pink outfit is fab!!! And Nicole to the Nines not only made a fantastic first purchase from Express, her skirt rocks too!!! Good stuff here! And can I just say, I just now saw your portofino sale post from yesterday...super bummed bc I'm still eyeing that green one I tired on months ago!! oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good labor day sale :-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you are on IG! You are right, it is so addictive! Carylee's post was so helpful. I still haven't mastered some of those selfies and I've been on IG for a while... Thanks for featuring my outfit! You are a great enabler. Thanks for reintroducing me to Express. I think it is going to be a slippery slope.

    Have a great weekend!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also wear the occasional extensions. My little pony tail looks pretty sad unless I put in some extensions for fullness. I found some 10" extensions at proextensions.com. I actually have them in 3 colors to keep up with my ever changing brown color. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you're on IG! Welcome to your new addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am so happy you are on instagram. i feel like a creep but i was so happy to finally be like she has a face! i mean, you know, i'm a creep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hair extension pony tail looks great on you Gina; I had no idea you were wearing it. It kinda looks high maintenance to me with the kids ( feel like one of them would pull on it or smt.) but as they get older may be a great idea for braids. Love your shorts outfits, you put together some of the stylish looks with shorts. Happy weekend! XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hair extension pony tail is a great idea! :)

    I'm completely addicted to instagram too, such a fun social network :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Count me in the camp of not shopping at Express until I met you and Carylee. You two are dangers! I've never thought of an extension for a ponytail. I'm with you, I don't know how to style extensions and it seems like a lot of work. I do have a pretty measly ponytail though.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sooo cool shots and inspirations! Love the blue/white combo with the leopard heels! Looks so fresh and lovely!

    ♘ www.sugarpopfashion.com ♘

    ReplyDelete
  17. Instagram is the best!! What's your name?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG I did it again. So just a few minutes ago, I was writing you a comment that I have a confession and that last week, I wrote you a loong comment, only to have it disappear on me when I hit publish. Because I got so mad, I just x'ed out of the page (I shouldn't!!!), I'm sorry! hahaha. and then, I just did again just now! ugh. lol!! first thing that caught my eye though, the seahawks hat, omg!!! I have to share with you that I went to a game for the first time in my life last Friday and I must say it is up there in the best-things-that-ive-ever-experienced-in-my-life list!!! soo much fun!! I must agree with what you said her because the more I see these lace tees and tanks, the more I keep thinking about it!! ugh! such an enabler hahaha! but such a fashion inspiration to see all these different looks though. :) thanks for sharing all your pretty finds!

    uris
    http://my-sinina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. My comment disappeared when I hit publish too! Let's try this again:

    Does anyone have a bra suggestion for the camis in the Instragram section? I love those tops, but can never figure out how to wear them nicely. I wish they all came with built in bras!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So weird! Sorry two of you have had issues with comments!

      Melissa- I shared a couple of strapless bra options that are working for me, and got recommendations from other bloggers in This Post Link should take you to the post- hope that helps a little!

      Delete
  21. What style all these looks are amazing! You ladies rock! ;)

    God bless,
    XO, Claire
    Http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the pink cami and black shorts! Yes Instagram is very addicting! Also I didn't know you wear extensions with hats! I totally need to do that lol!

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your style girl. and you rock the hair extension and hats girl. xo ~ The Fashionista Momma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!