8/15/14

Friday Favorites 8/15/14

|
Most Fridays I do pretty much the same thing here:  I share my favorite recent outfits and items from my favorite store (Express), with some other random stuff thrown in for good measure. Today is no exception, so on with the show:

1. The Barcelona Cami

After I shared my new love for The Barcelona Cami in this post a few of my blogger friends picked up one or two (or three or four...) of their own. They're kind of addictive, but I think it's safe to say they are loving theirs as much as I love mine:

Express Barcelona Cami, White, Snakeskin, Style options
  Noelle / Rachelle / Carylee

My own collection stands at five Barcelona camis. I posted the three here and here, and one of the two unblogged versions is the Snakeskin Print version that Carylee is wearing above. As the saying goes, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and on Monday's post I'm sharing just how flattering I can be with this cami.

2. Delicate Accessories

Notice the pretty, delicate accessories Rachelle and Noelle are wearing above? I've been all about the statement jewels and and arm party movements in the past, but lately I'm finding myself drawn to some of the more delicate and dainty pieces. I'm not ready to give up statement jewels altogether, but I might need to mix it up a little with pieces like these:

Dainty accessories

Pavé Bar Necklace / Cut-Out Metal Cuff / Pavé Bar and Hand Chain

At last month's SoCal blogger event where I met Noelle, each attendee received this Hexagon Cuff from Gorjana (Incidentally, I've always said this brand name as Gore-jawna. It's actually pronounced Gore-ee-awna. And her nickname is G-Funk because she like old school rap music...true story.) I admit this piece was probably the catalyst for my new interest in Jewelry-Lite. You'd think this would mean less spending, but instead it's making me think I need a few new delicate layering pieces like Noelle's below:
Rose Gold Fossil Watch, Chelsey, Stella, Gorjana Mila Hexagon Cuff
Noelle and I showcasing our new gift- the Hexagon Cuff from Gorjana (and our love for Fossil watches - mine is the Chelsey version in Rose Gold)


3.  Voile Tunic

The Voile Tunic is kind of like the shirt version of delicate accessories. It's lightweight and great for summer without being too bare. I pretty much always wear mine with shorts for summer daytime or Scuba Leggings for date night as pictured below (Oooh, Scuba Leggings are 40% off right now. If you want some for Fall that's a good deal.)
Express Convertible Sleeve Voile Tunic, White

But ever since Kristen broke her "I don't shop at Express" stance for this Voile Tunic she's found some other great ways to style it herself:
Express Convertible Sleeve Voile Tunic Style options
Her outfit details: One / Two / Three

4. Nails

I am always on the hunt for new products to make my manicure last longer. Right now I am cautiously optimistic about Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat. They have a full line of Miracle Gel color polishes but I like to use my own colors so I'm just testing the top coat.
Sally Hansen Miracle Gel Top Coat, Essie Romper Room

Those are my nails (wearing Essie Romper Room) at the end of Day Three with Miracle Gel Top Coat. There's some noticeable tip wear, but for me, that's pretty good wear time. If you already get 3+ days with your current routine, you might get even longer wear from this. And the removal process was really easy- just like removing regular polish.

I've tried dozens of base coats and top coats and nothing gets me more than two days of chip-free wear. Even gel nail polish seems to last weeks on other people but only 3-4 days on me. Mary has been having good luck with doing a lamp-cured gel top coat over regular polish (like this YouTube Video explains). I also tried that method and could still only get the same three day wear as Miracle Gel top coat. It's hard for a nail product to impress me but so far I'm pretty happy with this.

* * *
That's it for my favorites this Friday! I'd love to hear if you've tried any of these products (or have plans to do so soon), and I hope you'll check in on Monday for more of my usual shenanigans!

Shop the Post:


Also Linking up with:
ErikaAndrea and Narci Fashion Friday / Fashion Item Friday / Friday Frills / Natalia & Ashlyn / Beauty Buzz / Laura

CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. i NEED that tunic! so flowy and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great piece and I've gotten a lot of use out of mine year round!

      Delete
  2. Oh that Romper Room is very similar to my Ballet Slippers that I can't get off my fingers because I love it so much! I just bought Seche Vite for the first time and have been using it. It lasted Thursday to Tuesday and I could have gone longer but I re painted anyway because of my work trip. If that gel is even better? Shoot!
    And yay- can't wait to see your flattery! And - I too find myself looking for delicate jewels too! Your gifted bracelet is perfect! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Essie has a million similar neutrals! On me, Ballet Slippers was a bit more sheer and Romper Room is more opaque and a little more pink. I still use a quick dry top coat, so I think you still need SV. I do my nails at night with the quick dry top coat. Then in the morning, I add the gel top coat and get on my computer to do morning blog stuff while it dries. (Which is what I'm doing now LOL!)
    If you're in a drugstore passing by the nail section and you see it, it's definitely worth checking out Miracle Gel. You're already getting great wear time from Seche Vite but I do think this would add to it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^ that's in reply to Carylee. :)

      Delete
    2. I do have to do about 3 coats of the ballet slippers to get it to an opaqueness that I like, so now you are enticing me with Romper Room. But hey, if I have to use so many coats of BS, maybe I'll actually finish a bottle and can then graduate up to RR! :) Good to know about the gel. I shall check it out.

      Delete
  4. ok, Girl!! First, I feel a trip to Express coming on...40% off scuba pants!!! and I think I saw an email this morning for 40% off tops too! Second, i adore that pave layered necklace!!! Third, funny you mention the Sally Hansen Miracle Gel...I too have been trying it and plan on reviewing it maybe next week...the first color (and topcoat) I tried I got the same results as you mention. I'm on color (and top coat) two this week, and fingers crossed, it's lasting longer! I'm on day 3 now without any chips at all.
    Good round up!!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad to hear you've tried the miracle gel too. I definitely hope you'll post a follow up on your experience. I think we've talked about our bad luck with wear time in the past so I understand the excitement about 3 days with no chips! I actually had 3 days with no chips myself this week! I wanted to redo my nails a different color for the weekend so I didn't get to see if I could get 4 days (which would be like a HUGE, mega record), but still, 3 days is a big improvement.

      Delete
  5. Love that Gorjana cuff! I have a fossil watch from a few years ago that I still love! I've never really been into a neutral shade of polish, maybe its because I just can't find the perfect shade for my skin color. I'll have to continue to look!

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, finding the right match for your skintone is a major hassle. I swear I have to go through about ten "not quite right" shades to get the right one. It's really frustrating and expensive!

      Delete
  6. oh I have been wanting some delicate accessories, especially necklaces. I don't wear enough jewelry lol. I barely get one day with essie, my nails either peel or chip the very next day! I just got a new base coat and I want a top coat as well and I'll try again. Thanks for featuring me again lovely! One day I shall buy more express things haha. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I can't wait to see what you get next from Express. The right base and top coats are EVERYTHING when it comes to lasting power on nails if you ask me. I've tried every kind of polish from high end Chanel to low end Sinful Colors and they all last the same if not for the base/top coat

      Delete
  7. I love the Sally Hensen Gel polishes! I tried the periwinkle blue shade and just got the pink. Sadly I didn't purchase the top coat and have been using my CND Week Long top coat and am surprised at the lasting power. I can only imagine with the Sally top coat.
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, glad to hear your feedback on the SH polishes. I haven't tried that CND top coat but if miracle gel doesn't top coat doesn't cut it I might try that next. ANYTHING to get an extra day or two of wear!

      Delete
  8. Thank you for all the love, you are so sweet Gina! I love the gorjana bracelet we received as a gift. I wear it all the time! I usually go for big statement pieces too, but I think I've grown a little tired of buying necklaces in bulk just because they resemble j crew. I love the idea of layering because I can customize my look! And the Barcelona cami? Going to get more this weekend since I have a coupon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! And I can't wait to see which camis you get next...I'm predicting polka dots :)

      Delete
  9. My favorite outfit is the flowy tunic and those scuba pants! Where are the shoes from? I never think of Express for jewelry and am loving the cuff and Pave bar necklace! My manicures typically last 1 or 2 days so I'll be trying the gel top coat! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes are Franco Sarto and a TJ Maxx find from several years back. I don't even know the style name or anything helpful on that, either! Sorry - total blogger fail!

      Delete
  10. I'm so glad you explained how to say Gorjana. I love her stuff and especially the collaboration she did with the fabulous Courtney Kerr.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued by all the gel items available on the market for non-professional use. I haven't even gotten a proper gel manicure yet but, I keep wondering if I should test it out. I'm definitely a DIY kind of nail gal. I'll do my own because I have finally masted my left hand (I'm right-handed) and I feel I put use all those polishes I buy. haha. But, I would love for manis to last longer AND get really intricate nail designs on my own nails. =D

    xo
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was underwhelmed with salon gel manicures and my at home kit. It's a lot of work getting it on and off for not a lot of extra wear time! I'm excited about all the new non-lamp gels that come off with regular remover!

      Delete
  12. You are really making me want to drop everything and go get that barcelona tank like um.... right now! I have never heard of Gorjana so I have never mispronounced it but now I have been schooled for sure! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to try on a Barcelona cami! Such a great wardrobe staple on its own or as a layer. :)

      Delete
  13. I've been saying Gor-Jaw-Na in my head all this time..and now I'm finding it hard to stop LOL! That's happened to me with a blogger friend I met before - I'd been saying her name one way in my mind - and now I always have to think before I say her name ;-P

    I haven't found a great top coat yet - there are a few I have written down to try. But I do adore Orly bonder base coat - it's really good at protecting my nails from staining and I think it helps my polish stick around much longer. I've also had success with the L'Oreal Gel-lacque system - which is the non-uv light gel finish. I actually prefer the non-UV ones because I hate having to peel baked polish off my nails - and most non-uv gels come off with regular remover :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try some of the other brand non-LED gel coats like Revlon and L'oreal after I'm done with Sally Hansen just to see how they compare. I totally agree- I hate the removal process of baked nail polish. Major hassle!

      Delete
  14. Gina - I like Kristen's style - especially in those scalloped shorts! Love! I used to shop at Express all the time but I have stopped a few years ago (don't kill me G)! :) You are slowly making me rethink Express again.....slowly.... (want cami now.. want cami now)!

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Voile tunic! So fresh and fun for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this cami, today I stopped by Express but was strong and walked out waiting for labor day deals. I spotted the cutest chanel-esqe bag. I really wish gel mani were not so expensive they are the best.
    xo
    ​PinkSole​

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm obsessed with the delicate jewelry! Great picks!

    Jenna from Visions of Vogue

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read your post on Friday, I just didn't get a chance to comment.until now. As you know, things are crazy here but getting much better. I love that you profiled delicate accessories. I am gravitating toward this type of jewelry more and more. I hope to get back to normal over the next week or so. BTW - It's already been cooler temps here and I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm always hesitant to try out essie just because its more expensive than the other nail polish brands, but I found a bottle on sale at TJ Maxx and tried it out the way you talked about above (with lamp). So far, we're still doing good on my toes (I believe its been a week), although I must say I expect my toes to last 2-3 weeks since theres not as much you do with them compared to your fingers.

    Definitely looking into getting some more essie colors if the way I tried continues to work out. But I loved hearing what you said about the miracle top coat, and may have to try that out too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!