8/28/14

Fitting Room Reviews and Sale Stuff

|
I made a trip to Express yesterday to try on some things in person and take advantage of the 40% off sale. And there's also a promotion for Free Shipping on orders of $50 right now (with no indication of when that offer ends), so I thought I'd share my finds and fitting room reviews ASAP for anyone who may want to take advantage of the savings.

As I've done before, I'm putting my images side-by-side with the stock photos so you can see how each piece compares on models (who I presume are at least 5'9") vs. someone who is 5'4" like myself.


Floral Plaid High Waist Full Skirt:
Floral Skirt Fit Notes: (Both the model and I are wearing this with the Barcelona Cami.) I've seen this pretty piece on several blogs and Instagram pictures so I wanted to try it on for review and sizing. First, obviously this is much longer on me than the model. It came almost to my knees. But I also think the model is wearing hers higher up on the waist than I am, so that affects the length too. I am wearing a 0 in this skirt and that's pretty normal for me at Express. If you fall into the, "little in the middle but she got much back" category, you can probably take your normal size in this skirt. If you tend to carry your weight in your midsection, you may want to go up a size or even two because it's pretty tight in the waist.  Bonus points: it has pockets.


Ruffled Inset Fabric Tank:
Ruffled Tank Fit Notes: I'm wearing an XS in this top, and although it's described as having a "hi-lo hem, " it's not a very exaggerated hi-lo hem. It's very cute, but it does feel a little cropped in the front, so if you lift your arms you'll be showing skin unless you have on high-waisted bottoms. The material is stretchy and there's a button in the back to make it easy to get on and off.


Mid Rise Slim Flare Jean (Dark rinse option here):
Flare Jean Fit Notes: So, flares are making a comeback? I haven't tried on anything flared or bootcut in quite some time but I keep hearing they're coming back so I grabbed this pair in store. These feel amazing. Just like my favorite (discontinued, sadly) destroyed Stella jean leggings from last year. I'm wearing a 0 in these, which is what I normally prefer in Express jeans.  I would have to get these hemmed because with a 34" inseam, they are way too long for me even with heels. If I do decide to get on board with flares, I would probably get these because I loved the fit and feel.


Lace Inset High Neck Blouson Cami
Blouson Cami Fit Notes: No surprises here. I'm wearing an XS so I'd say it runs true to size. It ties at the neck in the back so it was very easy to get on and off.

I pinned this look awhile back and have had it tucked in the back of my mind as a style option to try for fall. But I don't have an oversized gingham or plaid shirt, so the next two tops I tried on were pieces I sought out specifically to help me re-create this look:
The pin can be found here, and I tracked it down to an Instagram account here


Oversized Plaid Shirt:
Oversized Plaid Shirt Fit Notes: I'm wearing a size Small in this picture because that was all they had in my store, so obviously it makes an already "oversized" shirt just huge. But the shirt was soooo soft and comfortable and I loved the print. I would just need to order an XS to see if I can get the right oversize-but-not-a-dress look. (I'm also wearing this with my own Sexy Stretch Leggings from Express.)


Checked Convertible Sleeve Boyfriend Shirt:
Checked Boyfriend Shirt Fit Notes: This shirt is a little longer than a standard Portofino and has a slightly more roomy fit (less tapered at the waist), but not by much. I'm wearing an XS in this. It's a little more starchy and not as soft as the Oversized Plaid shirt (above), but overall I really liked this one. (Once again wearing it with my own Sexy Stretch Leggings from Express.)

My friend Skye (find her on Instagram) also sent me some of her fitting room choices so I'm including these as well for those on the brink of sweater weather.

Marled V Neck Sweater on Skye
V Neck Sweater Fit Notes: Even though Skye is very petite (5'1" and usually a size 00 or XS) she's wearing an XS in this and it's definitely an oversized piece with a relaxed fit. She also mentioned that it has Dolman sleeves, which you really can't tell from the stock photo.


Petal Print and Chiffon Sweatshirt:
Petal Print Sweatshirt Fit Notes: Skye is wearing an XS in this as well, and the fit was true-to-size. The only thing to note is that the back is sheer, and you can see that in the alternate product view on the website for this sweatshirt.


Leopard Haircalf Hat:
Leopard Hat Fit Notes: No fit notes for this. I didn't even try it on. I just saw it in store and knew I wanted it! So I snapped a photo to remind myself about it.

Also, if you want some reviews on a few more very recent items, head over to More Pieces of Me where Carylee has a few more try-ons and reviews!

* * *

So which of these things did I buy? None of them. Why? Because my store wasn't participating in the 40% off promotion. F#$*&%#$(*&%(*#!!!! This has never happened to me before. I've never been the asterisk (*) store that's not included. I asked the sales associate why and she said it's because of the large amount of tourists we get. They will shop on Labor Day weekend whether there's a sale or not, so they really don't need to run the storewide promotion. WELL THEN. I will be placing an order online and waiting impatiently for my shipment, thank you very much. So if you also live in a tourist-heavy area, you may want to call your local store first to make sure they're running the promotion before heading in for your bargain hunting!

P.S. I'm interviewing my blogging friend Marianne over at Good Girl Gone Glam for her 100th post today if you'd like to check it. Just my usual nosiness!

Shop the Post:


Linking up with:
Fashion Friday / Fashion Item Friday / Friday Frills / Friday Favorites: ErikaAndrea and Narci / Alison / The Pleated Poppy

CONVERSATION

24 comments:

  1. What????? I've never heard this nonsense before. I do love the oversize plaid one, I am dying to go to the Express store maybe tomorrow :) You look adorable in that first look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just blogged about wanting that zipper sweater! I almost included the floral skirt too, but I left it off since it was a fall post. I have plans to head into express this weekend! Thanks for giving me more motivation. :)

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok those jeans look amazing on you. And that skirt looks fun! I'm banning floral skirts from Express until they bring the black floral pencil one back tho!! You hear that, Express???!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How frustrating - they should have a consistent store policy & not exclude any from sales :-( I really like the cobalt blue and lace cami on you...and am dying over: If you fall into the, "little in the middle but she got much back" category...LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the info and try-ons! That's the worst thing ever that your store didn't participate, I placed an order online when the sale launched, I was waiting to buy the leopard pleated midi skirt. Have a great weekend :)

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My store did have a couple of really good deals- Portofinos for $29.90 and jeans for $39.90, which is better than 40% off. But I wasn't on the hunt for either of those this time so it was definitely a bummer!

      Delete
  6. I love it when you post the fitting room photos so we can see what it looks like in person! I'm 5'4" too so it's so helpful! I just commented on Carley's post about how I need the red checked boyfriend shirt and those flared jeans are really cute! Thanks for sharing your fall inspiration! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love those jeans on you. Now I think I'm going to get them. Also I have the white blouson cami. Haven't worn it yet but it does fit nice. And hey, that gal in the zip sweater and chiffon sweatshirt is adorbs!!!

    ~Muah
    xx Skye

    ReplyDelete
  8. you always have the funnest ideas for posts! love this cute review!
    kelseybang.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I literally just ran upstairs and into my closet to check to see if my floral plaid skirt had pockets. How did I miss that? I would have had a place to put my hands during that shoot haha! I think I now need to start thinking of ways to wear it again. I love the flares on you!! The color and fit are perfect on you! I am also loving all the plaid shirts I'm seeing, I just can't wait for fall!

    Hope you have a great weekend, pretty girl!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I haven't commented much I always stop by to get my dose of Express inspiration and Gina humor.

    Great reviews. I want both plaid tops, the leopard hat and the floral skirt though I own 1 or 2 very similar.

    Hope all is well. Miss hearing from you. Enjoy the Holiday Weekend Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to buy one of the midi skirts from them but they are currently sold out of like EVERY color. I'm dying for it in pink haha! Hoping I can get to a store this weekend to scoop up some sales!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the ruffled top! So pretty! Thank you for joining Renae & I at Fashion Item Friday! Ax

    http://inmamaswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those flare jeans are really cute. I'm also 5'4" and hate that most jeans are super long. I may head over the Express this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the reviews! I heading to the mall in an hour to hit up my Express. Mine better not be the {*} either because they are going to have a very unhappy glam girl on their hands! Thanks again for the interview! Have a wonderful weekend! xo
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe your store wasn't honoring the sale...?!?!?! What the heck!!!! And, did I see you say they discontinued the Stella Destroyed leggings?? I love my pair!! With that said however, you looks great in those flare jeans!! And you must be right, I was at Loft and they had all Flare jeans there too...who knew?!? Great pics and options! You know I'll keep you posted if I end up purchasing at Express this weekend...heading out tomorrow for a day of shopping with my Sis...fun!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That skirt and the oversized plaid shirt is amaaaaazing!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Im seeing a trend for ruffles anywhere and then to balance it we get lumberjack plaid again, like in the 90's when femininity was a stranger. So I'll take the ruffles please. lol Thanks I haven't heard the phrase "hostess with the mostest" for along time. lol Glad you like Fashion item Friday!! Thanks for the well wishings and support! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I didn't think I'd see you in a skirt! Not bad at all! I actually did peek at their website when I got the sale email! :)

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your interview of Marianne was great! You always ask such fun interesting questions. I'm sorry your store isn't participating in the sale. I hope mine is so I can try on that first skirt. It is so pretty!! Have a great weekend!

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the jeans look great on you! I can't believe flares are coming back as well, but I'm glad that I have my flares saved in the back of my closet:)

    Tif @ Bright on a Budget
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't believe that store wasn't honoring the 40% off! Crazy! Well at least you know what fits great when you order online! Love the floral skirt!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  22. That first skirt looks way better with the pink cami. :)

    In case I have not already left a comment before, this is just a quick note to say hi. I visited your blog during the month of August and I liked what I saw, so I've added you to my feedreader and am following your blog. :)

    Cheers!
    Snoskred

    ReplyDelete
  23. hmmm those jeans have a 34 inseam? they might be long enough for me! i have a pair of stella jeans i think, and they are pretty awesome but right now... dont fit so well. haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!