7/28/14

Resolutions Revisited

|
2014 is just over halfway done, and I've decidedto revisit and revise some of the resolutions I made at the beginning of the year (posted here) to track my progress and make some adjustments here and there.

1. No Impulse Target Apparel Purchases

Target Impulse vs. Planned Purchase
Sources: Left, Right

Update: I carried this goal over into 2014 from 2013 because if I don't make it a rule, just like everyone else, I fall into the Target Trip. I go in for toilet paper and come out with a cart full of everything. I've done pretty well on this goal and made very few Target apparel purchases.

First I bought the Converse One Star Tank in White & Black:
1. Sleeveless Blouse: Target / Shorts: J. Crew / Sandals: Zappos / Belt: Target

2. Sleeveless Blouse: Target / Shorts: J. Crew Factory / Sandals: Macy's / Belt: Express

3. Sleeveless Blouse: Target / Shorts: Express / Sandals: Nordstrom / Necklace: Forever 21

4. Sleeveless Blouse: Target / Shorts: J. Crew Sandals: Macy's / Belt: Express


And second I bought some neon tank tops for summer workouts and activities. (You can read more about my workout and diet in this post.)
1. Tank: Target / Shorts: Adidas (Similar) / Shoes: Zappos / Watch: Tommy Hilfiger

2. Tank: Target (Yellow Boom) / Exp Core Capri: Express / Shoes: Zappos / Watch: Tommy Hilfiger

Considering at least 50% of my wardrobe used to be Target impulse purchases, I'm pretty happy with this progress.


2. Camiso-long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Good Bye

Grey t shirt visual
Sources: Left, Right

Update:
My goal was to avoid purchasing any t-shirts or sweaters that require a camisole due to a deep v-neck or wide scoop neck, and so far I have succeeded. I did of course purchase the Baroque Lace Cami, which definitely requires a camisole. Is this technically acceptable? Or is it breaking my resolution? I'm going with acceptable, and I don't even care anyway since I love it so much.

Left: Lace Tank: Express / Cami: Target / Mint Shorts: J. Crew (J Crew Factory Version) / Bracelet: Express / Sandals: Macy's

Middle: Lace Tank: Express / Tank: Old Navy (Neon Orange Sherbet) / Shorts: Old Navy (Magic Island)  / Metallic Gold Sandals: Forever 21

Right: Lace Tank: Express / Jean Leggings: Express / Necklace: Etsy / Cami: Target / Shoes: Zara


3. Nail It Down

Nail polish before & after
Both images via AboutMyStyle.com

Update: Well...I am failing miserably on this one. I resolved to stop impulse buying nail polish at Target, and that's been successful. But I can still buy online, so I've still purchased way too many colors this year, most of which didn't work on me. For the rest of the year, I'm going to limit myself to three new colors per month. I'm hoping a more precise limit in this area will be good for my wallet.

I've been trying to find the perfect pastels for spring and summer and I get a little obsessive about finding the absolute best match for my skin. Apparently I'm only good at picking a good match 30% of the time, and that's pretty sad. The top image are the seven colors that didn't work for me, the bottom are the three colors that did. A lot of them look very similar in the bottle but slightly different on the nails.
Top L-R: Essie Go Ginza, Absolutely Shore, Fashion Playground, Borrowed and Blue, In the Cab-ana, Naughty Nautical, I'm Addicted

Bottom L-R : Essie Find Me an Oasis, Mint Candy Apple, Romper Room

* * *
So that's my slightly-late, mid-year resolution update. Some wins, some losses, but I'll keep on trying!

Shop the Post:



Linking up with:
Marvelous Monday / Rachelle & Charnele /Molly & CarlyPaige Laura / Laura / Shanna / Alison / The Pleated Poppy / Tara / JoLynne /


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        


CONVERSATION

37 comments:

  1. That lace cami does NOT count--it is too cute :) LOVE it! Sounds like overall you really stuck to your goals! You go girl!

    Tori
    FashionBlingGirlyThings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recap, Gina! I have the same problem whenever I go to Target. My trick is to take my 22-month old with me. Because of her, I have to be hurry and get out of the store. Hence, no time wandering through the beauty aisles lol. Sounds depressing but it works =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Target is the worst and I went cold turkey this year. I have a target by my job, so I spend a lot of lunch breaks shopping there. Lol I totally feel you on the nail polish, this year I am doing pretty good, so far this year I think I've purchased 7 or less bottles which is a miracle for a nail polish hoarder like myself. My resolution for the rest of the year is just to shop wayyyy less, like 5 or less new items per month. We'll see.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, Target!!! I'm impressed that you've been able to adhere to this resolution for a year and a half now!! Its definately my downfall...it doesn't help that the Super Target is right by my house and it's also where I do 90% of my grocery shopping, so I'm already there and may as well scope everything out, right? LOL!! Anyway, stay strong! And you crack me up with your nail polishes!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I need to go back and look at my resolutions. I know I succeeding in the nail category and I know that's bc of you, my little polish addict, you! If we lived closer, I would be more than happy to buy some polishes off you! In hindsight, polishes are cheaper than shoes!! :)
    And no, the tank under the lace totes does not count!!
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone's resolution is not to fall into the Target black hole! I think you are doing great with your resolutions! The lace cami doesn't count because it is such a cute top!

    Have a great week!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is so interesting Gina.....going back over our NY resolutions is for me a must-do! I'm laughing at myself on the Target impulse buys cuz I am guilty!!! More power always to you!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on holding to your resolutions! Target impulse buying is SO Hard! As for the lace tank that you should wear a cami under - Nope doesn't count. Lace is important in any wardrobe and unless it comes with a built in cami you need to wear one. Nails - hmmm this is hard for me as well. I did find an amazing polish while at Target though and I have been SO Pleased with it that I haven't purchased many other. Sally Hensen Gel polish - no light required. It holds up against the abuse my hands take!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I've been doing the same thing with nails and Target! I'm doing well with nails and have even chucked about 15 of them in the last few months. Target is coming along but overall I'm trying to buy less "disposable" stuff and more things that last even if they cost a whole lot more. It makes me feel slightly old but I'm going to say that I'm "gentrifying" myself. I don't care if it makes sense. :)

    L,
    Vicky
    TheMummyChronicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. way to go girl! I am pretty good with Target, I just try not to go in there alone. If I'm alone, well... see ya wallet. Lol. My husband doesn't let me wander in the clothes aisles. I worked there last Christmas as well for a little extra cash and HR experience and I don't think I ever saw any money, oops. Silly discount. I wear camis under absolutely everything, always have, so I couldn't do that resolution ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fun update! Target is a dangerous place, and I totally fall into the "go in for one thing, come out with twenty" category. They are good marketers! I like your cami resolution. I find it frustrating to have to wear them under things as well, but haven't taken an official stand because so many tops are sheer these days! Love seeing your nail polish collection, LOL.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recap! It's good to keep yourself honest and this is a great way to do it! Target is the black hole for me and I always come out with more than I expected to (Including a Starbucks coffee)!
    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nail polish is a huge problem for me too. The worse is when I am not planning on buying any, but Ulta is have a sale for buy two get one free and I have a 20% off your entire purchase coupon. I get sucked in every time and buy three. Oops! I figure there are worse habits to have considering they are only like $9 a piece. Could you imagine if it were shoes or something, haha?!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you in revisiting your resolutions! I'm scratching my head trying to remember mine! Nail polish is so tough for me too! But I've been pretty good about it lately. Let's hope that lasts:)
    xo Adri
    www.adrilately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your progress really has me envious! I need to curb my impulse purchases a little more and maybe focus on some classic statement pieces! Great progress though!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your New Year's resolution post was one of the first posts I read of yours and I remember enjoying it thoroughly because I could relate to each one of these. I think we're all victims of the Target spell. I'm always shocked when the cashier calls out the total. I'm like, "Are you sure? What in the heck did I buy?" Have a great week, Gina. ~Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the worst time with polish too! I trend to wear it once and then almost never again... I'm actually trying to sell my used-once-and-then-sat-in-my-closet-for-a-year colors. I'd take some of those essie colors off your hands :) (Did I make a pun? It felt like a pun, but it's not very funny....)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even remember what I went in Target to buy this past Friday night, but came out with $45 worth of stuff?! Dang you, Target. But I love you! Loving that Lace Tank from Express! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great recap! I love the gym apparel, especially the running shoes and neon tops.
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Esse pastels are lovely, as is the lace top - totally worth breaking a resolution for, and you're right, not really applicable anyway. Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh, you have done really well with your resolutions, especially with Target! The Target black hole still gets me, especially as I walk past the nail polishes, hahaha!!! I enjoyed your fun post and thanks for hosting the link up!!
    xo,
    Monica
    GlamVolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're doing great! I need to stop and think about mine...I think i would probably rate myself at a solid B! I'm not shopping nearly as much or as often as I used to, and I'm more picky about what I do buy. But you know where I'm really failing? Jewelry! I'm great at resisting everything but jewelry. I need to relax on buying more!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good job on nailing your resolutions! :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  24. omg Gina, is this really your target cart? hahaha! all this time though, I thought I was the only one that always ends up picking up a random target article of clothing!! It made me laugh reading this because I felt so guilty of the same offense! hahaha! thanks for sharing thing, I enjoyed reading it! :)

    uris
    http://my-sinina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, no! Not my actual cart. Just a random image. Sources are below the image. Although my cart does fill up pretty fast at Target!

      Delete
  25. You've done a great job at keeping your resolutions! I need to adopt that Target one. Target gets me everytime....

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'll say that is quite an accomplishment, and I agree the baroque lace cami does not count.

    PS there are a bunch of Facebook groups where you can sell the polish, and use that money for next month purchases (double win)

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, thanks for the tip Natalia! I might have to email you about that. I'm terrible about getting to the post office though so I might need to find a local!

      Delete
  27. I think you've done quite well at keeping your resolutions! I could never stay away from Target, its like my home away from home lol. I'll buy some nail polishes from you! My collection just dwindled down thanks to my daughter for opening up bottles and painting herself. Never a dull moment, I'll tell ya!

    Still in love with that lace cami!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's looks like you are doing pretty well with your resolutions! Nail polish is so hard to resist ... definitely a challenge for me, too:) Love those neon tanks btw.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't been in a Target in a while. When my kids were in CCD classes during the school year, the classes were far enough away from our house, that it didn't make sense to go back home. But, there was a shopping mall, Target, etc very close and I would spend and spend every week. Now that's not to say, I stopped shopping when the classes ended, but I'm doing much better. Congrats on quelling your Target impulse buying and the lace tank doesn't count. And, I mean to say - I love the striped shorts outfit with the cute shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! You stuck to your gun on the resolution, that is so fantastic!! I have tried and have been somewhat successful. Love your shorts collection. Each one of them is fab! Also the nail polish collection? Love all the shades. This spring/summer collection from Essie is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh... I love Essie nail polishes Gina! I order them online! Are those really your nail polish collection? I can't stop staring at your arms and legs! Help! ;)

    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Target Trip is REAL. I have been sucked in so many times!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think that's awesome! I used to spend $80 for a $20 visit at Target.. now I ONLY STAY on the grocery store side and so, I've only spent money on groceries and only buy makeup or clothes when I absolutely NEED them! It is hard to resist the nail polish though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My husband calls Target the $100 store because you can't seem to leave without spending $100! I love those lace tanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Way to stick to your resolutions! Except with the nail polishes- holy crap woman- I thought I had a lot of polish!!! haha I must say, I would love to see a post with those essie color swatched out on your nails. The different blue hues and romper room. :)
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!