7/25/14

Features & Favorites 7/25/14

|
Heading into summer, I expected that my favorite shirt would not be making as many appearances here for awhile and that sleeveless version would dominate in the heat. Well, I was wrong. The original version of the Portofino is still as popular as ever.

I've spotted a lot of polished, office-friendly Portofino shirt looks lately, collectively making the case for having a wide variety of color options at your disposal. And pairing it with a skirt seems to be a popular choice to beat the heat:
Outfit details L-R: Rachelle /  Paloma Noelle in Portofino Shirts

Incidentally, Paloma (above center) is actually a lawyer, so if anyone can make a case for something it's probably her. You might remember her from the helpful advice she shared in this post on professional attire.

And if you're anti-skirts (like me!), Jaime showed another great office wear option for her Portofino with printed pants:


I love spotting celebrities in Express, and Kate Upton wore the Zebra Print Portofino for a recent Express event. Granted, she's getting paid to wear and promote the brand so it's not entirely organic, but I still liked the styling and it's the first time I've seen this shirt outside of the stock photo.

Her jeans are most likely from Express too, and they look a lot like this high rise pair to me. I haven't really been into the high rise denim trend, but with the shirt untucked like that, I think I could do it.

Even though the convertible sleeve option seems more popular, the Sleeveless Version still has dedicated fans doing it up right like Tracy. Her exact color is sold out now, but there's another pink version here. (I cannot wait to see her style evolve as she moves from Florida heat to a four seasons climate!)

I've added three lace tops to my wardrobe this summer, so I really don't need another one. But a lace tunic? That could be different, right?

After seeing this Lace Babydoll Tunic Tank on Carylee I hit up Pinterest to get options and possibly justify a purchase. I don't say this very often, but frankly, Pinterest was not that helpful:

It seemed most popular for toddlers, dolls or as a swim cover up. None of which are quite what I had in mind! I did like the way Express styled the black version of the tunic in the promotional materials, but then again this model could make anything look good

Finally, even though rompers were only rated with moderate popularity nationwide on the Coast-to-Coast Trend Report, they're still pretty popular on the blogs. Noelle  looked very chic in the Ruffle Front Romper, which looks like it could be easily dressed up or down for any occasion.

And by the way, I actually got to meet Noelle in person last night at a blogger event! It was my first time ever meeting someone that I've blogged about or interacted with through blogging, and she was just as sweet and genuine in person as she seems on her blog, with such pretty skin and eyes! I followed her blog for a few years before I had my own, so I may have gone a teeny bit fangirl on her ("Remember that time you wore those Sole Society shoes? And that time you took your picture by that duck pond? And when you went to Supercross!!") but she handled it with warmth and class.

* * *
Thanks for stopping by and indulging me in a little fashion talk today. Have a great weekend!

Shop the Post:





Also Linking up with:
Fashion Friday / Fashion Item Friday / Friday Frills / Natalia & Ashlyn / Shanna / Alison / The Pleated Poppy / Tara / Crystal & Lindsay / Laura & Erin /Amy Ann & Laura / Laura

CONVERSATION

23 comments:

  1. I hate when Pinterest is not helpful!!! I do love the lace tunic.
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so i really want a Portofino now, that might be my next express purchase when the husband loosens the purse strings, lol. or when they next have a sale! how can you be anti skirt? girl you crazy! oh pinterest can really suck sometimes - rarely, but when it does, it really does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. the anti-skirt thing is weird. I like them on OTHER people! I just don't like wearing them. The few I've purchased in the last year have been worn maybe 2x each!

      Delete
  3. How fun to meet in person! I love Noelle and the way she wore that romper! I went in Express yesterday hoping they had a red and white striped Portofino like my black and white one. No luck... It's such a versatile shirt. Also, totally justifiable if the lace is a tunic this time, right?!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lace tunic is really cute and I love the zebra print Portofino shirt! Too funny that the tunic for the American Girl doll came up on Pinterest! Enjoy your weekend!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow that Pinterest search did not go very well that doll pic is so creepy lol. The portofino is so easy to wear during the summer since it's so lightweight. That model is Jourdan Dunn she's gorgeous she was at the express show and she is just as pretty in person so I wouldn't get styling tips from her lol. I'm loving Noelle's romper, not sure it would look the same on me :/
    Blogger events are always fun, I would love to meet you.
    PS: thanks for the feature.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate when Pinterest shows you the complete opposite of what your looking for! I really love that lace tunic though! That model really makes it look tempting!

    Glad to hear you had a nice time at the blogging event! I hope one day we'll both be at the same one and can meet!!

    Have a great weekend love!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! I didn't realize the event was last night and another OMG that you and noelle met! I'm not gonna lie. I was hoping to be your first in person meet. Sigh. She can be your first. I will be your forever! <3 haha but seriously, would love to meet both of you!
    And didn't you know I grab outfit inspiration from toddlers and dolls?! Duh!
    And I love that the portofino is year round appropriate. It's so lightweight and breathable- it really is fine in the summer too! And now I want the zebra! Thought I won't look like her in it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm not stealing her from you carylee ;) I hope we all meet up sometime! She mentioned you'll be here in Cali in a couple months?

      Delete
    2. I know, I thought you would be my first too! But Noelle was just THERE and I couldn't resist her charm. :)

      Delete
    3. I forgive you guys! <3
      And yes - a threesome meet up would be so awesome!!!

      Delete
  8. LOL LOL LOL to the Cabbage Patch Doll! Why wouldn't you want to wear it this way HAHAHA. Too funny! I love your posts, you put so much thought and effort into them! And you always make me want to purchase something from Express :)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much Rachel!! I truly appreciate your comments!

      Delete
  9. I had such a fun time last night! I'm so happy I pulled it together and didn't let my shyness hold me back! I loved meeting you Gina! It definitely was my favorite part of the entire night! Yes it was informative, but there's nothing quite like connecting with a friend :) I hope we see each other again. Feel free to text me anytime! And thank you for the feature. That romper is ultra comfortable in case anyone is wondering, and I'm not a romper fan. Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO GLAD you came last night! It made my night. Everyone was nice and friendly but it wasn't the same as the connection we had. :)

      Delete
  10. How fun to meet in person. That is hilarious about your Pinterest search. I think you should try the toddler look. Come on, you know you'd rock it. Ha ha. I can't wait for Express to come out with more fall stuff. I am definitely going to get a (minus the) leather jacket. It's been on my list forever. And thanks for the feature. That is one of my favorite outfits and I wear that sleeveless portofino all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad to know you're already planning your Express purchases for fall and for your new climate! You will love the jacket. I haven't worn mine as much since moving to CA, but I still love them!

      Delete
  11. I just got my first portofino shirt and can't wait to style it. Thanks for all the inspiration from these gorgeous ladies! And it's too bad pinterest wasn't very helpful! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad to hear you picked up a Portofino! I can't wait to see how you wear it on the blog!

      Delete
  12. So lucky you got to meet Noelle!!! Isn't it amazing when you meet bloggers you follow - you kind of feel like you know them already ;-)

    I laughed so much with your lace pinterest inspiration....I totally think you should steal the American Girl doll's look ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really liking the long sleeve Portofino blouse. I think you are enabling me now! :) Why are you anti-skirts??!

    Cheresa
    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to try a Portofino! I can refer you to a few bloggers who have converted recently and have no regrets. :) As for skirts, I should clarify- I like them on other people! It's just that when I do purchase them I find they sit in my closet because I would rather wear pants or shorts. So I try not to buy skirts anymore because I know they won't get much use.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!