6/6/14

Features & Favorites 6/6/14

|
It's been two weeks since my last Features & Favorites post, and I am ready to get back to business as usual here. The good news about missing two weeks is that I've found so many great outfits featuring Express clothes in that time.The bad news is that it makes it really hard to choose which ones to feature!

Darcy put this Ruffled Zip Front Romper on her wishlist way back on this post, then decided to go for classic black version. It's a perfect fit on her, and if you're thinking about getting this one yourself you can read my fit notes on it here.

I had a debate with Carylee this week about whether I am a shopping enabler (her opinion) or a resource (my opinion). I guess I can see her point, because she hadn't thought about getting this Black Jumpsuit until I posted about it here. But in my defense, I wasn't even the one who picked it out there! I was just reporting the facts. Anyway, if denial were a river, I might be swimming in it...

I am definitely not taking any blame for enabling this last piece because I hadn't noticed it myself until I saw Erica wearing it. It's the Organza Inset Sleeveless Portofino, and don't you suddenly want to go on a picnic with her? I think I just figured out my 4th of July BBQ outfit with just under a month to go!


Okay, I don't even know who this last one is but she was on TV as I was scrolling channels and I snapped a pic as fast as I could say, "iPhone!" when I saw her shirt. I'm pretty sure it's the Contrast Piping Portofino (stock photo on the right) from Express, and I'm digging how it looks underneath her blazer instead of just a plain white blouse. Nicely done, mystery lady!

Even though I've had some luck with Express shorts this year, one of my other favorite kinds of shorts for summer are the ubiquitous J. Crew Chino Shorts. I don't know if you've noticed that J. Crew and J. Crew Factory carry almost identical looking shorts:


Aside from the price and look of the label, I couldn't find any information on the differences between them prior to purchasing, so I thought I'd share my experience and maintain my status as a resource.

In the the two photos on the left, I'm wearing J. Crew Chino shorts. In the two photos on the right, my shorts are from J. Crew Factory.
Outfit Details:
1) TankTarget / ShortsJ Crew (exact color from last year, similar to Alpine Blue this year or J. Crew Factory Soft Mint) / SandalsNordstrom / Necklace: Old Navy / Bracelet: Express Belt: Express (Similar)

2)  Striped TankFrench Connection via Last Call / Chino ShortsJ Crew  (in Navy) / Necklace & Bracelet: Express / Converse: Nordstrom

3) TunicExpress / CamiTarget / Chino Shorts: J Crew Factory (Wild Strawberry) Sandals: Target (Similar, Similar - neither are quite as affordable as mine but closest I could find) / NecklaceKohls

4) Bow Tank Top: LOFT (3-4 years old, sorry!) / Chino Shorts: J Crew Factory (Black) / Sandals: Target (SimilarSimilar) / Bracelet: Forever 21

Here are the main differences I found between the shorts:

Fit: J. Crew Factory shorts ran a little bit smaller than regular J. Crew shorts. I was barely able to fit into the same size, but they felt more snug than my J. Crew shorts. If I order another pair, I think I'll size up.

Fabric: The chino shorts from both lines are 100% cotton, but I found the regular J. Crew shorts to be thicker and softer fabric, whereas the Factory shorts are a little thinner and just not as soft and sturdy feeling. It wouldn't keep me from buying another pair from Factory if the price is right and they have a color I want, but I do have a slight preference for the original version.

* * *

So that does it for me today! I hope you found some resourceful information here. Otherwise I might have to change my whole welcome blurb over on the sidebar, and I can't be bothered to do that. I'll just keep swimming...


Also Linking up with:
Fashion Friday /Friday's Fab Favorites / Casual Friday /Favorite Fashion Friday / The Lauren Elizabeth / Fashion Item Friday / Passion for Fashion  /  Friday Favorites / Friday FrillsAnything Goes / Weekend Wind Down  / Natalia & Ashlyn / The Pleated Poppy

CONVERSATION

25 comments:

  1. Hahahah! <3 I didn't say enabling was a *bad* thing! :)
    I love JCrew chino shorts too! Thanks for the comparison! I love them in mint. I might NEED them in mint now! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shorts are the hardest thing for me to buy! You look cute though. May have to check out J Crew Factory
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say your definitely an enabling resource if that makes sense lol! You enable me to find the right piece of clothing that I didn't know that I was looking for haha! Now, I need to try the Chino Shorts!

    Thanks for the feature today!!

    Have a great weekend!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...all I can say here is "portofino shirt"! Without your information/inspiration I wouldn't have some in my closet right now!! LOL
    Btw, I'm loving both of your tops that you paired with the Factory shorts!! And of course I'm still drooling over both the romper and the jumpsuit!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a shorts person but your J.Crew ones are adorable and look great on. Very cute bow tank! I also love your features-they all look amazing!! I gotta admit that all of your Express clothes have definitely got me wanting to shop there more often-I don't have one very close by but I recently made a trip to one and got a very cute top and skirt:)
    Marta xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have noticed that the material and sizing is different on the factory shorts too. I like the J Crew better but this year, Factory has the brighter colors which I like better. The tank with the bow in the last picture is adorable! Where is it from?

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill! I just updated with outfit details. It's from LOFT, 3-4 years ago and unfortunately I can't find anything similar to it online right now. :( Sorry! And I agree with you- I like the Factory colors much better this year! Most of J Crew's colors are very muted and I'm all about brights for summer.

      Delete
  7. I love J. Crew shorts and have them in multiple colors and prints from both J. Crew and Factory. I think Factory has cuter prints and you can't beat the prices especially during a sale. The mint color is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I have liked Factory's prints better this year! Not that I've snagged any yet myself...but in time....

      Delete
  8. I've always heard that the factory version is not as "soft/thick' as the regular version, now I know for a fact!!

    Natalia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, I wish I had known that in advance, but I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking this!

      Delete
  9. 3 great looks from 3 of both of our favorite fashion bloggers. Love Erica's and yes I'd go on a fancy picnic with her. The sleeveless organza Portofino is awesome.

    Interesting about the Chino Shorts. 4 great outfits with them - casual chic does it.

    Have a Great Weekend Gina!! <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your comparison and photos of J. Crew shorts - it's all good to know! They look great on you, too.

    Jennie@http://apocketfulofpolkadots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the one with the organza panel but resisted. I love all your looks at the bottom, if I end going out later you will be my inspiration.


    xo
    ​PinkSole​

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahah I love your discussed with Carylee. so funny! And thanks for the comparison between the Factory shorts and just regular shorts. I have always wondered what the difference was. Can you believe I don't own a pair!?
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every blog enables me...ha! I am always seeing something I want like that contrasting portofino. I am a sucker for black and white. I too love J. Crew's shorts. They seem to fit well. Have a great weekend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  14. In love with the black rompers. The Jcrew shorts are a MUST have!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1) I side w/ Carylee...you are a pusher! :) 2) I told you to get the ruffled jumper, now you let the other lady get it and she looks so cute in it. 3) Erica does look fantastic...I would like to go on a picnic with her....Love your rainbow of shorts...j crew factory shorts fit great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never bought any J. Crew Factory items before but thanks for being resourceful! :)

    Cheresa
    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. The J. Crew shorts are really nice, I may need to check them out, however, mine will have to be a bit longer in length. Thanks for sharing it with us at the #WWDParty - have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think rompers are such a cute look - but I have yet to try one on myself ;-P Love the 4th of July BBQ inspiration pic - can't wait to see your version of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those mint shorts!! Sorry, I could not look past it at anything else!! To die for !! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got my first pair of jcrew factory chino shorts last summer. I lost weight & needed new shorts. This year I am a loyal jcrew factory chino shorts girl. I had been wearing Old Navy shorts. The comparison there...I don't have to iron them every wash like the ON shorts. Also, on sale the jcrew factory chinos cost less than ON. Win. Win.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always love your photos and your style!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!