6/27/14

Features & Favorites 6/27/14

|
If you read many fashion blogs, there's a good chance you've seen the Clare Vivier "Leopard" Clutch on a few of them. I write "leopard" because that's the actual name (according to Piperlime), but I have some doubts about that name. I've created a Cheetah vs. Leopard Reference Guide so you can understand my concerns.


Cheetah Guide

Cheetah (not for sale) next to the Clare Vivier "Leopard" Clutch ($210).


Leopard Tutorial

Leopard (also not for sale) next to the Express Leopard Clutch ($49.90).

I'm the first to admit that I use leopard and cheetah interchangeably and with wild abandon, but when it comes to naming the clutch, who got it right? My vote goes to Express on this one, no offense Clare. And I'm sure she's laughing all the way to the bank while plotting a, "zebra-but-name-it-white-tiger" accessory.

That Express clutch was on my wishlist, and then off. And now it's back on. When Kellie got it back in May, it was the perfect accessory to her guest-of-wedding look and I wanted it immediately too:

Then I blew my budget on summer stuff, so I took it off my wishlist since I didn't need it much as some other basics. And for awhile I forgot all about it. But this week Amy Ann featured it with a completely different styling option:

And now...it's back on the list. My mind is screaming that it looks so versatile!! Goes with everything! Dressy or casual or in between! My fingers are crossed for a storewide 40% off sale for 4th of July to make it mine.

I don't want to beat a dead horse (er...leopard? either way that's an unnecessarily violent figure of speech we have going on there), but before I move on from leopards, I'm sharing just one more (accurately named) piece to love from Express - the Leopard Print Portofino as seen perfectly styled for summer on Carylee.

I've seen quite a few cute, summery tops from Express on blogs lately that I've wanted to feature, but so many of them are sold out by the time they get posted! I don't know about other bloggers, but any time I try to find "Similar" items to something I'm showing, people are not that interested. So for the last three items, I made sure the EXACT options are still an option...for now!

First, this Flutter Sleeve Top (like a t-shirt, but cuter) as seen on Lexi of Streets of Gold:


Second, the Crochet Trim Tee on Joyce of My Superficial Endeavors (hello, sexy date night outfit):

And last but not least, the Striped Sleeveless Portofino, styled for a polished professional look on Rachelle of Pink Sole:


Rachelle's outfit reminded me of a Selena Gomez look I stumbled on while preparing Monday's post. It would be cake to style the Striped Sleeveless Portofino this way, and it makes for a good dressy vs. casual styling comparison. (I'm sure Selena got inspired by Rachelle's blog...can't say I blame her.)


After this post I am vowing to be a lot more careful in assigning the proper names to cheetah and leopard clothing and accessories, otherwise I look like a complete moron if I can't even refer to my own tutorial. You might be thinking that a leopard can't change it spots, but maybe it was really just a mislabeled cheetah!



Also Linking up with:
Fashion Friday / Friday's Fab Favorites /The Lauren Elizabeth / Fashion Item Friday /  Friday Favorites / Friday FrillsNatalia & Ashlyn /

CONVERSATION

32 comments:

  1. I always knew there was a difference between leopard and cheetah but never looked into it. The foldover from Express will be sold out in no time, if I didn't have a very similar one from Gap I would totally get it. I've been struggling with the leopard portofino, Carylee is very convincing. Love Selena look, I might copy it for a casual outfit but maybe with a mini skirt instead. Thanks again for the feature :)

    xo
    ​PinkSole​

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, love the idea of the striped top with a mini. That would be cute!

      Delete
  2. Ha! You are definitely right! I love that "Cheetah" print bag so much. Those are great picks. Happy Friday!
    xo, Whitney and Blaire
    Peaches In A Pod

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Zebra-but-name-it-white-tiger".....haha, you crack me up!!!! Yes, I agree, that is cheeta print, not leopard! And can I say that I much prefer leopard, even tho they are similar :-). Thanks for the feature!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just say "animal print" Ha ha. I've had my eye on that leopard print portofino but I think I'll wait until fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the safe route, and one I often take. But if you start a fashion design brand, I will be by your side to help you research the correct names!

      Delete
  5. LOL I love your guide! Actually I really want to correct people when they say things sometimes because I had a leopard, yes leopard not cheetah purse once, and my advisor in college was like, is that cheetah? And she proceeding to look it up and let me know HERE is what a cheetah looks like, here is what a leopard looks like! Once you see the difference it really is easy to tell the difference on clothing items! For example, my skirt yesterday was definitely leopard with the big spots, with more dimension. WOW see my advisor made me crazy lol ;) BUT I LOVE both of these clutches, cheetah or leopard, I'll take both please ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you already had a complete education on the differences! I do think I finally have it figured out now and if nothing else I'm going to verify before posting in the future!

      Delete
  6. Haha seriously loved your cheetah and leopard comparison! That clutch was on my wishlist awhile back and then I too bought other things and forgot about it. Now you are making me want it again!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laugh every time I read your blog! I seriously wish we were friends in real life because I am sure you would keep me laughing at all times. I am so glad you cleared up the cheetah verses leopard! I know I use them interchangeable and with wild abandon as well. Thanks for the feature! Hope you have a great weekend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  8. My bf bugs me all the time with the difference between cheetah and leopard and I still get them mixed up lol. Oh and I totally think Selena swagger jacked Rachelle ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I will be swagger jacking the term swagger jacking from here on out. Thank you for that!! hee hee.

      Delete
  9. Seriously wish we lived in the same state! You are hilarious and I would love to hang out lol! I have had that "leopard" Clare Vivier clutch on my wish list for the longest time now, but decided against it since sooo many people have it. I do love the Express version, I like the exposed leather at the bottom.

    Are you sure the Cheetah and Leopard aren't on sale?

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That EXACT leopard and Cheetah are not for sale. You might be able to shop around for a similar item, but I didn't have any luck finding a link for that. Maybe a Zoo closeout sale? IDK...

      Delete
  10. Oh I love that black crochet top!!!! Such great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you for this! I have some cheetah pumps that I know I call leopard inadvertently tho like Tracy, I try to just say "animal print"!! That Express clutch is great. Where was this a few months ago when I was looking for the perfect leopard clutch???! I love it and seriously, get it before you regret it! And if you get sick of it, I shall indemnify you for this cost-- you can sell it to me and I'm happy to have two. See how I'm not letting you have any risk here? Mwah! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the clarification because I sure did have trouble distinguishing the two.

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, you learn something every day ;) i never really paid attention to names / prints but i did recognise that all animal print products look different but are all called leopard. anywho. i never really thought i'd be into animal print but i am digging that leopard print blouse. and i need some sleeveless blouses in my life, but i dont know how to wear them. perhaps you could do a post and teach me how ;) actually, i'll just go through your archives and stalk accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gina I seriously miss your posts when I am away for a bit. So happy to have had a moment to stop by and read this adorable post. <3 First of all thanks for the tutorial. I think we all use those terms interchangeably way too much, and possibly being unfair to the animals. :) I think most of the animal prints I have is leopard but that Cheetah is still too cute. I say go for the Express clutch- what a versatile piece. I have one from them from dinosaur years ( meaning my grad school yrs) and I still have and use it. Looks like new too. <3 Have a great Friday, XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you for the KINDEST words Elif!

      Delete
  15. I knew there was a difference between leopard and cheetah but didn't really know what it was! I love your clutch but sadly I live in UK, I just can't find a leopard clutch over here that I like enough to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'd imagine international shipping is a little pricey!! (If they even do ship internationally? I'm not sure!)

      Delete
  16. Your are great Gina! I some times mix cheetah and leopard and jaguars. My daughters high school mascot was a jag and I couldn't tell the difference in their patterns and still struggle. Hahahaha. Thanks for the encouraging words. #4 is done and the symptoms will roll. I was way worried I wouldn't be able to get this one on schedule but I did and I am kickin it to the curb for the garbage truck to pick up on Tuesday morning!!! Yay!!! Thanks for your awesome posts at {*FiF*}! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL omg you are so right! As it is though, 'leopard' does sound more high fashion than 'cheeta' ... great post!

    www.closetvoyage.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the clarification! :) I am actually not a fan of animal print (don't hate me!). :)

    Cheresa
    www.misshotcouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahaa you are so funny. I fortunately know the difference between Leopard and Cheetah. That clutch is gorgeous and both ladies styled it so differently yet beautifully. =)

    Hope your weekend was great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha, glad you pointed this out!!!
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so funny! I always use the terms interchangeably too for any kind of animal print. The Express clutch is the perfect accessory!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!