6/16/14

Average Spending Habits

|
Last week, I surveyed a group of fashion bloggers about their spending habits and posted the results here. Most of the participants were surprised to find that their spending habits were pretty "normal." But...that was compared to their peers. Are they normal compared to women who don't blog about their personal style?

Spending Habits Part 2

Over the weekend I gave the same survey to nine women who are not fashion bloggers. The results are...probably not that surprising. On average, they spend less money per item in every single category. Take a look below to see how their self-reported numbers compare, plus examples in most categories of what you can get for each price from a variety of retailers.

1. JEANS 
Jeans

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $64.53
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $52.22



2. BASIC T-SHIRT 
Tee

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $18.13
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $11.67



3. BLOUSE
Blouses


FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $41.25
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $31.11



4.TANK TOP


Tank tops


FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $18.03
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $11.11



5. SKIRT
Skirts

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $43.91
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $23.28



6. CASUAL DRESS
Casual Dress

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $48.13
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $32.56



7. SPECIAL OCCASION DRESS (e.g. wedding guest or holiday party dress)
Special occasion dress

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $115.31
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $111.67



8. HANDBAG
Handbags


FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $235.94
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $181.67




9. SHOES
Shoes

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $86.41
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $78.61



10. JEWELRY (Perceived average per piece across all categories, e.g. Necklaces and Bracelets)

Jewelry


FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $34.38
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $15.78



11. WORKOUT TOP
Workout Top

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $23.57
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $12.78



12. WORKOUT BOTTOMS
Workout Bottoms

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $30.16
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $15.56



13. SWIMSUIT
Swimwear
$66 Swimsuit vs. $40 Bikini ($20 Top and $20 Bottom)

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $69.69
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $41.11



14. BRA

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $40.69
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $25.56



15. PANTIES

FASHION BLOGGER AVERAGE: $8.13
NON-BLOGGER AVERAGE: $5.13


TOP SPLURGE CATEGORIES:

Just like Fashion Bloggers, the top choices for splurge categories among non-bloggers were shoes and handbags. Fifty-six percent of respondents chose Shoes as their top splurge category, and 44% chose Handbags.

* * *

I guess it's also not surprising that while fashion bloggers were eager to participate in a survey about fashion, it was a lot harder for me to find willing participants for this survey among "regular" women. I wanted to have the same sample size group, but that didn't quite work out. Still, I think the answer to this question is pretty clear. I think it's safe to say that on average, fashion bloggers are willing to spend a little more on each of their fashion purchases.



Also linking up with:


Linkup Button





We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        


CONVERSATION

34 comments:

  1. Still not surprised that shoes and bags are anyone's top splurge but I am a tiny bit surprised how us bloggers generally spend more on each item. Most of the categories are nearly cut in half.. maybe I'm spending too much lol! (don't tell my husband I said that haha)

    Hope you had a great weekend, Gina!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it weird to say that I feel I fall into the "non-fashion blogger" averages more than the "fashion bloggers". I'm a werido for price points so that's probably why. I will admit however, that I definitely buy more merchandise as a blogger than I did before...eek!! Btw, loving the swim suits and shoes you showed here! <3
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprised at all, although a few of my friends shop just like bloggers. I'm pretty sure I would shop way less if I stopped following fashion blogs but why would i do that lol?
    PS: I tried Cathe's workout last night for the first time and I am really happy with it, I love that she focuses so much on weight training. I might have to get a few more dvds. So thank you :)

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for following up on the workouts! So glad you tried it and liked it!

      Delete
  4. Great followup post! I was actually surprised that bloggers spend more on each item just based on what my girlfriends spend. My post today is about what I spent since I started blogging.

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so interesting! I am so glad you followed up with this post. As always, thanks for the great content! I need to go back and look at my numbers. It's important to think about how we spend our money.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this was such an interesting read! I'm pretty sure I spend quite a bit more on my wardrobe than many of my non-blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I expected to spend more on clothes in general, but not this much difference per item!

      Delete
  7. Hmmmmm that's so interesting to note.....well that's quite a difference esp. in the accessories dept. Thanks for this research Gina....maybe I have to cut back again!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really really interesting and actually something I've been thinking about for awhile! I used to spend much less prior to fashion blogging, so I wonder if the fashion blogger results are because of what people were spending before they became a blogger, or once they were a part of it? And is it because they spend more to make more (more new styles = more chances to make money off affiliates?)! Now I'm really curious. Overall though, I totally get how fashion bloggers spend more, whether you were a shopaholic to begin with or a shopaholic turned even more so by visiting so many lovely ladies' blogs and wanting everything they are wearing ;) That's happened to me one too many times haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think just like me! I also wondered the same thing: were they already spending a lot therefore became bloggers? Or did they start spending more because of blogging? Or both?! Unfortunately that's a lot harder to research, but I do have some more questions brewing for the blogger group on their habits!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for putting this into perspective!! This reminds me of every Target collabo and how I am afraid to wear anything I buy because EVERYone will be wearing it. But that's not the case in real life. Pretty sure you were the one that told me that back then! And how funny that you had a hard time finding your polling group! What? There are people that don't want to talk about fashion?! Haha
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, isn't it?! To be fair I am not sure if they didn't want to talk specifically about fashion or they didn't want to talk about money or they just didn't want to take a PITA survey!

      Delete
  10. That is very interesting!! I know I spend more than my friends do on clothing and shoes for the most part. I think part of it at least is that a lot of my friends are teachers so they graduated a year later than me and just subbed for a semester. They all start full time this Fall (!!) but because I have had a paycheck 1.5 years dropping money on clothing does not stress me out as much as it used to!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is so interesting. Very cool that you did this!!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really making me realize I spend quite a bit more than the average... which is probably not a good sign lol!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely think that fashion and style bloggers spend more because we influence each other! I see something I like on another blog and it usually leads me to opening up my wallet. I think I've gotten better about that, but it's still tempting when you're exposed to such pretty things on a daily basis! I also sometimes feel pressure to feature new things on my blog so I'll shop just for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely relate to all of those things! I wear exact repeat outfits but that definitely doesn't make for interesting blog content. :) Plus when you read a lot of blogs, that becomes your normal. It seems like everyone has a certain thing, but in the real world I won't see one single person with a Kendra Scott necklace or whatever it may be.

      Delete
  14. Very interesting. I'm not surprised that bloggers spend more on fashion than others, but the size of some of the gaps surprised me. I think I've always been slightly above average on this though...

    Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting comparison! I fall more into the non-blogger ranges, but I've noticed some price creep in the items that I'm interested it. I also wonder if there might be a different in how many of an item are purchased....Buying 1 sweater at $90 or 3 sweaters at 30$ or one at $30 are somewhat different scenarios... Thanks for posting on such an interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are still a lot of unanswered questions. I'd love to do more follow-up surveys!

      Delete
  16. I'm a blogger but I think I spend less than the non-blogger ranges. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Er, um I don't related because I would be hunting these down at my thirft shop and getting an entire ensemble for under $50. hmmmmm. But thanks for the Fashion forward items in focus. That always helps me when I land on a 'find!'

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an interesting survey! It's about time to track my expenses haha! Omg.......:0
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Not surprising but still very interesting. I do find myself spending more now that I'm blogging, much to my husband's chagrin. I need to keep my eyes open for those bargains! Have a great week, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, can I just say I want like everything in that list? (I'm also aware that isn't the point- but there's so much cute stuff!) That printed swim suit and cobalt striped dress are incredible. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find this comparison quite interesting, but then what this also says is, at the end of the women, whether a fashion blogger or not, like to pay what they think a thing is worth. Having said that there are a certain genre of women who irrespective of blogger or otherwise, are willing to pay ridiculous amount for a piece of junk, that has a brand name stuck on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing more information Glamour Amour | Affordable Fashion Clothes | Online Clothing Store | Trendy Clothes For Womem

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad to see the difference isn't that huge, and I know as I started blogging I started being willing to spend more on things and spend differently. I no longer want a handbag that isn't leather, and I take fabric content and where things are made in to greater consideration.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was really interesting to see! It's something I've always wondered about and I'm a little surprised to see that fashion blogger's spending wasn't much higher than average! I guess maybe we just buy more in general so our total spending is probably considerably higher ;)
    Thanks for the insight!

    Jessi
    www.haircutandgeneralattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved this. I was surprised at how much more fashion bloggers spend on handbags. Thanks for linking up at Monday Morning Madness. I hope to see you again this upcoming Monday
    -Kat
    www {dot} confessionsoftheperfectmom {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  26. another interesting read! some are similar to my own spending habits, but funnily enough i spend the least on handbags and shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!