5/2/14

Working Backwards

|
In last month's Get Pin-Spired challenge (posted here), I lamented my lack of originality when it comes to outfits I share, and I have to say people made the nicest, most supportive comments. Not only that, they were really poignant and gave me some food for thought this month, so thanks to all for your comments!

For example:

Rachelle wrote: we all take inspiration from somewhere maybe you are way more organized than others...

I like the sound of this. I'm just organized, not a copycat.

Carylee wrote: I understand you get inspiration from other places, but hey, things can still go horribly wrong during execution.

I'm scared to Google, "Things that can go horribly wrong during execution." But it's comforting to hear that I'm a good executioner.

And Kristen's comment, "even if it's an 'original' idea, someone has already done it," brings me to the present. Obviously I do get dressed sometimes without following a specific pattern from Pinterest, so I decided to work backwards to see if even my "original" ideas from this month have been done. Well...

White on top, hot pink on the bottom...it's been done:
Image: Source

Voile Tunic: Express / Cami: Target / Wild Strawberry Chino Shorts: J Crew Factory / Sandals: Target (Similar) / Necklace: Kohls


Black moto jacket, white tee, long necklace, jeans...check. H-to-tha-izzo...V-to-tha-izzay...
(Minus the) Leather Jacket: Express /  Stella Jean LeggingExpress / Belt: AE / Necklace: Old Navy / Booties: Target


Stripes and Converse..a popular look for all ages and genders.
Image: Source

(Minus the Leather) JacketExpress / Striped Tank: Last Call (Thanks to Carylee for finding this!)/ Stella Jean Legging: Express / Navy Chino Shorts: J Crew / Necklace & Bracelet: Express / Converse: Nordstrom

Of course, there were a few times I did actual re-creations this month rather than reverse searches:

Tee: Express / Blue Leopard Scarf: Express (Similar) / Olive Cargo Skinnies: Guess (Similar) / Booties: Forever 21 / Belt: Target

From my original post on Nicole Richie Style: Here 

Leopard ScarfExpress / Cardigan: Express (Current Option) / T-ShirtOld Navy / Tights: Target / Booties: Target / Jean Shorts: DIY


From my original post on my most re-pinned items on Pinterest: Here:

Tee: Old Navy / NecklaceExpress / Jeans: Express (Current version) / Belt: Express (Similar) / SandalsTarget / Watch: Macy's (Similar)

* * * 

Obviously I had a little tongue-in-cheek fun with my Pin-spiration this month, because that's kind of how I view fashion in general. I love clothes and shopping, and I love getting dressed and trying to look my best each day, but I never want to take it too seriously and suck the fun out of it!  Thanks for reading today and I hope you have FUN getting dressed this month!

Linking up with:


Get Pin-Spired:  Pinterest Told Me ToThe Larson Lingo, and Mix & Match Mama

Also Linking up with:

Friday's Fab Favorites / Casual Friday /Favorite Fashion Friday / The Lauren Elizabeth / Fashion Item Friday / Passion for Fashion  / Fashion Friday / Friday FavoritesStylish Saturday / Be.YOU.tiful / Anything Goes / Weekend Wind Down  / Natalia & Ashlyn

CONVERSATION

45 comments:

  1. I so agree with Carylee, how many times youo see people with no budget dressed horribly. I mean people nowadays have such short term memory, I remember Nicole Richie back in the days and her style used to be all over the place and now she's a fashion icon. So if you can dress well (which you do), on a budget you must be pretty good ;) Loooove your Jay-Z outfit, love it!

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you like the Jay Z outfit. I would never have guessed he and I dress alike! And yes, Nicole has evolved so much in her personal style. There's hope for everyone, right?

      Delete
  2. Too funny! I defiantly think you "wore it best"....especially the White on Top Pink on Bottom (ouch that poor lady)....Also where the little boy is cute your's was way better. Not to metion who wants their pants hanging off their ass [ehm JayZ]...... You go girl with your "original" idea's ;)
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the nice words, Lee!

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure we all find inspiration/ideas somewhere (usually pinterest or from some random citizen I see) - the idea is to put your own personal spin on it and wear it with confidence which you've done perfectly here :)
    ~Ellen
    www.everydayfancy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL @ "some random citizen I see." Thanks so much for the nice comment Ellen!

      Delete
  4. all of these are super cute, but i hate that you cut your head off in all of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacey, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback. I know that headless pictures are not going to be well-liked by a lot of people but...I'm a private person by nature and not up to "going public" at this point. That may change in the future... who knows! I do plenty of features using full face & body bloggers so hopefully if you visit again you'll enjoy one of those posts more than this one. :)

      Delete
  5. awwww blushes! thanks for quoting me lovely. you are too cute. i love all of your outfits. i am such a copycat when it comes to outfits, but i think its a form of flattery ;) lol. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the nice comments, Kristen. And thanks for the quote inspiration! :)

      Delete
  6. Great interpretations of the looks! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment Dawn!

      Delete
  7. I love all of these, and you really can pull off any look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha the Jay-Z one is my favorite!! I hope you have a great weekend! I copy outfits all the time... we gotta get our inspiration to dress from somwhere, right!?
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darcy! I am seeing a rapper-inspired outfits post in my future....who knew Jay Z was so popular here?

      Delete
  9. Love all your outfits! So cute! You can seriously wear anything and it looks good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You are too kind!

      Delete
  10. Hahaha!!! Awesome! You are the best seriously. I don't know anyone else who can naturally work some Jay Z into outfit inspiration! And I will be needing a grey tee now so I can replicate the last look! Thanks for that! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Jay-Z was the clear outfit favorite here...don't be surprised to see more of his outfit re-creations in the future!

      Delete
  11. OMG...dying at the first pic with the pink skirt...you totally nailed that look ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! It's hard to outdo obscure European catalogue models but I try. :)

      Delete
  12. All of your looks are so cute and well put together! I really love the last look with your mint jeans. I also have that leopard scarf in black and coral-it's my favourite infinity scarf!!
    Marta xo
    www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Marta. I hope we'll get a chance to see you wear your Express scarves on your blog!

      Delete
  13. This is was so fun and I love all your looks and we all get inspo from everywhere, most of the time it's hard to remember, Lol. Have a great weekend :)

    Tracy
    www.TarcysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so true. Sometimes I know I've seen it and can't remember where. From now on I'll just check to see if Jay-Z wore it first. ;)

      Delete
  14. Wow, great post! It made me chuckle too... so true! It has all been done before! Clearly you probably weren't trying to purposely copy Jay-Z but his look LOOKS amazing on you! So I don't blame you! So many chic outfits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel! And it's true Jay-Z's outfit was a lucky coincidence. But I might try to copy him more in the future since it was such a hit!

      Delete
  15. Cute ensembles and comparisons. I love the brown and mint together. I sure am loving mint this year, after it has been out for a year now, but that is par for me, lol Thanks for being with us at *FiF* again, Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm glad mint isn't over-over. I think it should always be in for spring/summer.

      Delete
  16. Loving all the looks but my fav is the mint skinnies! I have been wearing mine on repeat! Thanks so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! I LOVE all of your outfits so much! And some of your inspiration pictures totally cracked me up!
    Thanks for linking up!
    xoxo,
    Sheaffer :)
    p.s. I need your mint jeans in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how you reversed this and looked for pins similar to the outfits you wore! You have amazing style and my favorite is the mint skinnies with the gray tee.

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your looks, reverse and regular! The pictures are so fun! I think fit also has a lot to do with style. I agree with Carylee, you can get inspiration but execution is a whole other thing.

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great blog! Amazing photo :)
    Following

    http://hanaylena.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. It made me giggle. I think you have executed all the looks beautifully. Not many people wear anything better than Nicole Richie but you did it. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. There's something about the combination of Mint and Grey that works perfectly together. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to your Pinterest inspired outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing and linking up again with us at the #WWDParty. Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love reading this and how you went backwards from your own outfits. The Jay-Z outfit is super cool; one of my go to fall looks too. My favorites are the jean shorts also featuring Nicole Richie and the mint number on the bottom. Both very stylish but also effortless looks. I also agree with Rachelle regarding how Nicole Richie's style evolved from no consistency to consistently stylish. You are doing this on your own, with a normal persons budget, frequently and beautifully and that means a LOT! Lovely post Gina. XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are hilarious. I was wondering where you were going with this when the first picture popped up in my feed. And you are so right about not taking this all too seriously. I have to remind myself of this from time to time. I love the mint jeans outfit. I sold my pair but I think I need to buy myself another pair (I blame you :-))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gina, keep doing what you do because I love your style and your unique blog. Express should pay you - seriously. =) And constructive criticism and compliments are always nice.

    If you like, I'd love for you to kindly support my blog and follow me. Thanks in advance.

    Happy Cinco de Mayo!! (Looking forward to link up today). <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What inspiring recreations!

    I want to invite you to enter my blog's #HopeForMoms Giveaway (total giveaway valued at $810!) All you have to do is write a #HopeForMoms status which will be shared with mom survivors of human trafficking through International Princess project. :D Check out more details at my blog!

    God bless,
    Christine
    www.beyoutifulhope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the mint and grey!! Great outfit combo. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!