5/26/14

In Uniform

|
Since Memorial Day here in the States is all about honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces, I really wanted to show some gratitude to them and their families in my blog space today. I know can't do that proper justice here, but at the very least I wanted my topic to be relevant to the holiday.

So I got to thinking about the correlation between the military and fashion. Their uniforms have been a major influence in a number of ways (bomber jackets, aviator sunglasses, combat boots, camouflage, and the list goes on...) but in general (pardon the pun) there's one thing I can relate to: they are all about dressing in uniform. And so am I.

Image via:Wikipedia

For most of the year I have two standard uniforms.  Luckily I can switch around the colors, shoes and accessories more than a military uniform! But still, the formulas are basic.

Uniform One: Portofino Shirt and Jeans:

1) Blouse: Express (Glam Green) / Jeans: Express / Necklace: Express

2) BlouseExpress (Cayman Blue) / Necklace: Nordstrom (Similar) / White Jeans: Express / Belt: AE / ShoesMacy's / Bracelet: Express

3) Blouse: Express / Jeans: Express/ Booties: Express (Similar) / Necklace: Express

4) Blouse: Express (similar to Peach Blossom) / Belt: Express / Jeans: Express / Sandals: Nordstrom / Necklace (Similar)

Uniform Two: Blazer or jacket, Tank Top and Jeans:

1) Blazer: Express (Similar) / Belt: Express / Jeans: Express / Chevron Bracelet: Express /  Pavé Toggle Bracelet: Express / TankTarget / Necklace: Gift / Booties: Target (Similar)

2) Striped Tank: Express / Blazer: H&M  / White Jeans: (Current version) / Pavé Toggle Bracelet: Express / Scroll Hinge Bracelet / Sandals: Nordstrom / Necklace: Forever 21

3) Jacket: Nordstrom / Tank: Target / Necklace: Similar / Belt: Express / Jeans: Express / Booties: Target (Similar)

4) Jacket: Express / Necklace: Express / Tank: Express / Pants: H&M (Similar / Booties: Target

Memorial Day always feels like the unofficial kickoff of summer to me, so I'm starting to think about what kind of uniform I'll wear for the summer. Since I started sharing my own outfits on this blog I'm feeling a leeetle more pressure to up my game from last summer's tank tops and flip flops. You can check out my Summer Board on Pinterest to see some outfit ideas I'm gathering, or let me know what your summer uniform is so I can get inspired.



Also linking up with:
Color Brigade / Mix & Match Fashion



Linkup Button




I don't know what the blogging standard is for Memorial Day (considering this is my first!), but Carylee and I decided to stay consistent (even if it's short and sweet) and carry on with our Manic Monday link up tradition.

We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!
More Pieces of Me        




CONVERSATION

31 comments:

  1. Happy Memorial Day! Hope you had a great weekend! Love a great blouse look!

    xo, Erica
    www.casuallystyled.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial day!
    effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful Memorial Day Gina! Love all your uniform-outfit inspos!!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could never go wrong with the blazer, tank top and jeans look and you definitely do that look really well. I especially like the nautical one with the striped tank top. Hope you're enjoying Memorial Day with the fam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! Love your style and am glad to get your approval!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes as I am putting outfits together for the week, I will realize that many of them involve a portofino. So I feel like anything plus a portofino equals my uniform! I have never owned so many button up shirts before, even when I absolutely had to wear them for work! They're great though and both versions of your uniform are great. The magic of being able to switch out accessories, shoes, and the blazer keep everything new and exciting! Happy Memorial Day, lady! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I thought my style had evolved recently, but when I look at old pictures I realize I've had a thing for button downs for a looong time. It's just nice to have a go-to that comes in a million colors!

      Delete
  6. fabulous outfits girl. love your 'uniform'. im sure your summer outfits will be super cute, you always look so put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristen. Something about hotter temps makes me lazy in the wardrobe department, but I'll still try to throw on some accessories and call it "put together."

      Delete
  7. Your "uniforms" look/work great!! You can't fix what's not broken, lol!! I love your collection of Portofino's and jackets!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kellie, and welcome to the addiction club! Glad I got a sneak-peek of your new additions and can't wait to see them on the blog.

      Delete
  8. Happy Memorial Day Gina! I just realized how much I'm into military style, I love aviator, bomber jackets, combat boots and military jackets and so on. For Summer I see myself wearing a lot of denim, peasant tops and simple strappy leather sandals, I am also determined to wear more dresses. I am loving your Summer board.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are having a great weekend! I love your two types of "uniforms", very stylish and still comfortable. I also tend to like the flowy tops but have a hard time finding them.

    Thank you for hosting and would love it if you can add your blog to the I’m a Miss/Mrs Looking Good Blog Directory. Check it out!

    http://www.mrslookinggood.com/im-missmrs-looking-good-blog-directory/

    - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the portofino shirts! They are great to style with jeans. Button downs and jeans are my favorite wardrobe piece as well! Hope you enjoy your Memorial Day!

    xo,
    http://www.chachathefashiongenius.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Happy Memorial Day! Those are two really great sets of uniforms! They are similar in style but the definitely have different attitudes and sass! Love it!

    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG...I love the navy uniforms on you...great posture! Is that you on the left or right? (Lucky guy...he's got two ladies) Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a serious post, but I just can't do it...i feel very silly today :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. you are so right about the military influence to fashion.

    come to think of it... i have a basic "uniform" to my outfits as well... oversized top, blazer, either pencil skirt or pants.

    hope you're having a great weekend!

    Rhea, Et Cetera: Summer Getaway outfit & my new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing wrong having a uniform look if it involves a Portofino or a structured jacket. I was in Orlando this weekend so I couldn't post and had nothing for the link up. I'll link up with tomorrow's post. I hate being away because I can't comment either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post topic! I really admire your defined style. You know what works on you and what you are comfortable in and you stay true to it. I am all over the place, ha! Hope you had a great holiday weekend!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your uniforms - and although they share similar pieces, they all look so different - so ppl can't tell you're sticking to the same formula - BONUS :-) My uniform is: H&M shirt, garage jeans, Old Navy flats and either a scarf or a statement necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend! The Portofino shirt looks great on you. I love all the looks. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your short work week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A blazer, tank, and jeans are def part of my uniform, too! :) That outfit feels like a default for me, haha.

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you and the family had a wonderful Memorial Day Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! Love both of your uniform looks! Can't wait to see what you are wearing this summer!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cool! I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day! I'm sad it's over :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Gina! Hope you had a great Memorial Day:) Love your uniform post. Mine is a cardi, tank, and jeans year round, except for summer when I wear a lot of dresses and skirts (it gets so hot here in NYC!).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree that the Military/Army etc. has inspired Fashion in many, many ways. I too have uniforms, or I call them Outfit Formulas. I do dress in many different ways but one of my usual formulas for example is Leggings with a long Sweater or Cardigan, Scarf and Booties. Another would be a Pencil Skirt with a Blouse or Button-down Shirt.

    Once again, I love your smart analogy. Gina, one more hundred reason added as to why I love your blog.

    P.S. I added the Manic Monday button to my blog, by the way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post! Love your looks! I definitely have my own uniform look and even did a post about it many months ago - http://marymurnane.com/2013/10/08/the-uniform/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!