5/28/14

Blues Clues

|
For no particular reason, I recently found myself thinking it was time to add a blue blouse to my wardrobe.  I didn't have a singe one, but I owned plenty of other pieces in my wardrobe go with it.

Image Sources L-R: Seams for a Desire / Pinterest / Lulus 

Of course, my go-to blouse is a Portofino Shirt from Express, so when I looked to see my options for a blue Portofino, this is what I found:
Blue Portofino Options

It reminded me of trying to pick out an Essie nail polish. The color differences are very subtle and I was squinting my eyes, clicking back and forth between the color names, feeling confused about which one I should get.

My initial instinct was that I wanted something more in the navy blue family, like my inspiration pictures above, so I ruled out Chelsea Blue. I've seen great photos of Chelsea Blue from Carylee & Darcy and I feel like I have a good sense of how it will look in real life.

Outfit Details: Carylee / Darcy

The only way for me to settle this was to order the other three blue options to see how they look in person and decide which one looks best on me. I also wanted some sort of universal color reference to help with the comparisons, so I took a tip from Blue's Clues and grabbed my Handy Dandy Notebook, picked up a 24 pack of Crayola Crayons and VOILA! A Crayola Blue reference chart.


Here's how the three shirts look side-by-side in person:



Violet Wave vs. Crayola: (Closest to Blue-Violet?)


Tile Blue vs. Crayola: (Closest to Indigo?)


Royal Blue vs. Crayola: (I'm wishing I had a 64-pack of Crayola crayons at this point. Royal Blue is darker than any of the standard 24, and I think it would be like Midnight Blue, my personal favorite Crayola.)

Originally I wanted a navy blue color, and judging by the stock photos, I thought Royal Blue would be my choice. And in real life I do think Royal Blue is the closest to navy blue. However, Tile Blue looked the best on me so utimately I only kept that one and borrowed a styling option  for it from Pinterest.
Image source: What She Wore 365 (Retired)

Blouse: Tile Blue Portofino / Belt: Gap / Jeans: Express (Current) / Bracelet: Express / Necklace: Express (Current) Sandals: Sam Edelman 

Why not just go in store and try them on? Honestly, because then I can't positively identify which color I'm wearing, which defeats the purpose of making this blog helpful to other Express shoppers. But note to any Express spies who might be reading here: It would be very helpful to have the color names somewhere on the garment or price tag in stores so we can accurately match up to the names online!


Linking up on Wednesday:
Random Wednesday / I Feel Pretty / What I Wore Wednesday  / Whatcha Wearin' Wednesday /
Color Brigade / Wake Up Wednesday

Linking up on Thursday:

CONVERSATION

33 comments:

  1. Such a pretty blue color! It looks great with the white jeans and leopard sandals!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at them side-by-side I thought you might go with the Royal Blue...glad you picked the Tile Blue, it looks great on you with the white skinnies!!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have that tile blue one, it was one of my first portofino and it's one of my fave. You've inspired me to wear mine with white jeans.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these blouses are gorgeous. I was just in Express last week and saw some of these beautiful blues in person! My friend also just bought half the store during their Memorial Day sale, so I might just have to borrow some clothes from her ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a much needed education! I never know what to call different shades of a color unless I have been informed by someone. Thank you so much!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! next week you can go back for the royal blue :)
    ~Ellen
    www.everydayfancy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, don't give me any ideas...not that I need them. I seem to get into enough trouble on my own!

      Delete
  7. Okay this is an awesome post! I am always impressed with how much effort you put into each post. Seriously, how frustrating is it to go look for nail polish sometimes?! You're like "Okay I want a coral." Alright well now I have 19203821038219083 options to choose from! haha
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for breaking it down!! After this post I realized that I need to add more blue hues to my closet!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tile blue is probably my favorite blue, looks good on almost everyone!!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love blue, i have a lot of what i call cobalt, but i want some darker and lighter blues. i am obsessed with cornflower / baby blue at the moment but cant find a gosh darn thing in that colour i like (or in my price range).
    i really wish stores would print the colour on the tags, especially when they are stupidly named.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those printed shorts! Blue is one of my favorite colors, so this post is perfect for me. I need to go to express!
    http://www.weshopinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have had a blue Portofino on my list for a while. I can't believe I don't already have one since I love blue so much. Did you have to steal the crayons from you kids? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaa you are so funny and I love your Crayon analogy. Before even reading your post, I would have gone for the Tile Blue. But yeah reminds me of the Essie Colors too. Express definitely should add the names of each color on the shirts' tags. Hope they are reading your awesome blog.

    And what do you know I am wearing Tile Blue today, also. =P Yup, come see!!

    Happy Hump Day. <3 Ada.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you had not put up the crayon colors and names, I would have never known the last one! But honestly, thank you..to me, they would have all looked like "shades of blue" hahaha :)/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well dangit. Now I need the royal blue portofino.
    It's amazing how the crayon references really put the portofino colors in perspective. Love that!
    And I almost thought your pinspiration pic was you also! Except with darker hair! It's a great look!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really missed reading your posts Gina. I had a very long flight overseas, getting over jet-lag and just now trying to catch up with all the blogs I read. Yours is one of the top on my list ( of course it is- I LOVE it) and WOWWWW, again I am so super impressed with how you identify Express pieces everywhere and break them down. Thanks to you I reconnected with Express and feel like I am much more familiar with their offerings now. The portofino is an amazing top and love all the shades of blue you showed. I think ultimately you chose the blue that looks best on you but I would love to keep all of them LOL. XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elif you are too kind! Thank you SO much. I honestly wanted to keep them all too but...hard to justify when I need a crayola reference chart to tell the difference!

      Delete
  17. Great post! You are too creative! I'm a huge navy fan but the violet is so pretty! You always get my creative juices flowing with your posts! Love it!

    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice comment Marianne! I'm very flattered to be a creative inspiration! Thank you!

      Delete
  18. Looks great! "You have chosen, wisely." (Did ya get my Indiana Jones reference in there?)
    ;)
    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Color names on the garment tags would be SUPER helpful! You tell 'em!

    I love this color (in all the various shades). Bright blue is my jammmm. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an amazing post! I adore all the effort that you put into your blog and it definitely shows! You are so creative!

    The tile blue looks great on you btw!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Erica! I truly appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  21. Oh wow, that's some awesome visual aid! Very cool post. That blue looks amazing with white jeans, no matter what color you call it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliments on my coloring skills, Alison. ;) I tried my best!!

      Delete
  22. You and I are so alike! I would have done the same thing! It's hard to tell from the computer screen what a true color will actually look like and my store doesn't have as many portofinos lately. I love them all, which is a problem too! I love bright cobalt, especially in summer. But navy is classic! Choices, choices...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not completely crazy! It was really hard to tell the difference from the monitor (and even in person) so hopefully this helps someone out.

      Delete
  23. I love that you got out your Crayons! I had a royal blue shirt at one time but had a hard time finding bottoms to wear with it. I usually have better luck with navy. Looking back, I had plenty of things to go with it and should have kept it. I love the white jeans and other options you showed! Why are there so many blues!?

    Xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my local store is any indication, there are going to be "so many" of a lot of portofinos...oranges, corals, pinks, greens...it's great for guaranteeing you'll find a flattering color, challenging when you're trying to order online!

      Delete
  24. I love the tile blue portofino top. I go a little over board with blue sometimes since its my favorite color lol

    xo,
    http://www.chachathefashiongenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how you broke down the blues - I have spend hours watching Blue's Clues when the girls were little. I'm thinking I need a blue top now. It looks gorgeous. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue would be really flattering on your coloring!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!