4/30/14

The Blame Game

|
When I started this blog, I expected that it would make me want everything in store at Express. I was okay with that because, really, it's nothing new. I also expected to want things I saw other bloggers wearing. Again, I've been reading blogs for years so it's just more of the same. What has been surprising is the way my own post topics have influenced my shopping, but I'm having a hard time admitting it. I keep finding ways to blame someone else for my decisions.

For example, I posted here about Bethenny Frankel and her Express shopping habits, and I also learned that she has a signature color:

At the time I only had one shirt in that color, and since then I've found myself picking up more pieces in that color. But obviously, I blame Bethenny.

Left: 
Express: Tee (Sold Out), Leopard BeltChevron Bracelet / Forever 21: Necklace and Modernist Sandals
Target Bright Coral Tank / Nordstrom: Jeans

Right:
Express Chiffon Pieced Two Pocket Shirt, Stella Jean Legging, Pavé Toggle Bracelet, Sculpted Hoop Necklace / Forever 21: Booties

So...the shoes I'm wearing above on the right? Those happened because of this post.  Ellen put them on her Express wishlist, and Adri was already wearing a similar pair in an outfit that I featured at random in that same post. Double whammy. Then Skye posted that she bought them the same day (see here)! Three strikes, I'm out. I totally blame Skye, Ellen, and Adri.

I also saw Marianne wearing a similar pair from Target shortly after my purchase, which I might have considered getting instead if I'd seen them first. But in case you're considering a pair, here's how the options from Express (currently listed as Low Stock), Forever 21, and Target compare side-by-side:

Cognac Slingback Clog/Mule options

Left: Express Ankle Strap Heeled Runway Clog (4" heel)
Middle: Forever 21 Sophisticated Slingback Booties (3.5" heel)
Right: Target Kacie Bootie (2.5" heel)

And here are a few of my style (and purchase) inspirations for these booties. At first I wasn't sure what to wear with them, but I've been finding that they go with pretty much everything! 
Outfit Details: Adri Skye / Marianne

When I chose Nicole Richie for a celebrity style snapshot (see here), I thought I was safe from influence because my style is usually the polar opposite of hers. Well...so much for that. During the recent sale I somehow I found myself drawn to some peasant tops instead of my usual Portofinos:

Left:
Express: Lace Inset Peasant BlousePavé Toggle Bracelet / Target: Kamila SandalsMid Length Shorts / Guess: Tassel Necklace / Nordstrom: Stretch Bead Bracelets

Right: 
Express: Lace Inset Peasant Blouse,  Chevron BraceletSculpted Hoop Necklace  / Forever 21: Sophisticated Slingback Booties (there they are again...)


Obviously I blamed Nicole for these purchases. Denial runs deep, yet after all this blaming, there's still a Led Zeppelin song running through my head...Nobody's Fault but Mine....


Linking up on Wednesday:
Random Wednesday / I Feel Pretty / What I Wore Wednesday  / Whatcha Wearin' Wednesday /
Beautiful You / Color Brigade

Linking up on Thursday:


CONVERSATION

21 comments:

  1. I don't know why it gives me so much pleasure to read this in the same country as you! In your defense, these are all great pieces! And now I'm kind if wanting the booties.... If I had a nickel for every piece my posts made me buy... Funny how shopping "similar" pieces enables me to shop! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! :-) In your defense though, the Bethany Signature Color looks great on you! ;-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my I didn't know about the chiffon shirts, I must try them on asap. I love these booties/sandals but I like the cut-out to be more open like the rag&bone pair (http://www.rag-bone.com/Wyatt_Sandal__Camel/pd/cl/15177/np/201/p/6145.html) but WITHOUT the rag&bone price. That coral looks amazing on you.

    xo
    PinkSole

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooooove that button down blouse! So pretty! Stopping by from Whatcha Wearing Wednesday.

    undergraduatestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just what you mean! I see something on someone and am not sure why I changed what I would normally purchase - blame xxxx. It's hard not to see something and like it, then purchase it subconsciously.
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look gorgeous in reds and oranges. I also super love those printed tops. Adri & Marianne look lovely too, as usual. I love these features you do. You really do 'your homework' really well, Gina. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you styled them and your take on Nicole Richie is spot on! Thanks for including me!
    xo Adri
    www.adrilately.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nanananananananananananaaaaaa BODY'S FAULT!!!!! One of my fav songs. I knew we had more in common than just clothes! Thanks for featuring me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That color is literally amazing! I love the orangey reds!

    Eleventh & Sixteenth

    ReplyDelete
  10. You will never believe this, but Payless has a pair of these shoes too & I am kicking myself for not getting them last time I was there!! The ones you found are so fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha I totally do this, too!! I am more so like this with accessories than clothing items. I'll see a necklace on someone and I just have to have it! I am on a shopping ban after my trip to Chicago until Memorial Sales come around. Here's hoping I can stick to it, haha!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm on a shopping ban for the month of May but I still have today to find those cute booties!

    Jill
    dousedinpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great blog post (and not just because I am in it)! I love playing the blame game because it takes the onus off of me! Ha! I love these booties and I want another pair in black! Now who do I blame for that?!?! Yeah blame my addiction. Thanks for being awesome all of the time!

    Marianne
    www.goodgirlgoneglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I can blame you for some of my recent Express purchases. Ha ha. But really, I have just stopped blaming anyone or anything. I just like to shop (a bit too much). That orangey-red is a perfect color for summer and I love the peasant tops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang! I like your outfits better than the originals. That orange is SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha..see...you get the blame game! I blame all the bloggers, plus my own blog for my credit card bills right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know whose fault it is, but they are some cute choices! Especially Bethany's power color, looks great on you too!

    -Chelsey
    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, a girl after my own heart- I play the fashion + shopping blame game on anyone and everyone! Also, I blame the blog. "Oh, if I bought that I could style it with that and put it on the blog!" :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always buying things that I see on other bloggers too! It's hard to resist. Your peep toe booties are so cute!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Betsey Johnson Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right, blogging/reading blogs does influence what I buy! It is hard to admit. You look great in everything you posted! I've thought about buying similar booties myself, but I am a boot person. I always want them!

    xo, Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh man, my own blogging and reading other blogs has really hit my shopping budget haaard.
    also, the top outfits? i love Bethenny's, but i LOVE yours on the right. I want all of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!