4/18/14

Expert Sale Selections

|
If you still haven't decided what to get at Express during the 40% off sale, you've come to the right place. I gave my list of current favorites on Wednesday (see it here), and today my special panel of Express Shopping Experts is giving you their list of must-haves items from Express.

Um, Express Shopping Expert? Oh yeah, it's a thing.

An expert "has a comprehensive and authoritative knowledge....in a particular area."  My panel includes two former employees who still wear Express stuff almost every day (Darcy and Skye). Plus two more super stylish women (Carylee and Rachelle) who might de-friend me if I asked them to count how many things they own from Express. So I won't. But it's a lot. (Just try searching their blogs for "Express" if you need proof...). So now that we've established their credentials, let's get on to the shopping:

First I asked each Expert to list just three things they own that make them say:

"If you don't have a ______, you need it now!" 

Here's what they chose and how they wore it:

Darcy chose:
Full Outfit Details: One / Two / Three
1. Polka Dot Portofino

2. Leopard Print Belt

3. (Minus the) Leather Jacket


Carylee chose:
Full Outfit Details: One / Two / Three

1. Polka Dot Portofino

2. Striped Stretch Knit Midi Pencil Skirt

3. Stella Destroyed Jean Legging


Skye chose:
Full Outfit Details: One / Two / Three

1. Mia Destroyed Ankle Jean Legging (For a breakdown of the differences between various white jeans at Express, see this post.)

2. The Convertible Sleeve Portofino Shirt

3. Cross Body Saddle Bag


Rachelle chose:
Full Outfit Details: One / Two / Three

1. Sleeveless Portofino Shirt

2. The Convertible Sleeve Portofino Shirt

3. Drawstring Track Pant


Next I asked each Expert for just one wishlist item they want during the sale, and here are their picks:

Express Sale Picks

1. Darcy: Ruffled Zip Front Romper

2. Carylee: Floral Print Convertible Sleeve Portofino

3. Rachelle: Mia Destroyed Ankle Jean Legging (Recommended by Skye)

4. Skye: 24 Inch Studio Stretch Jacket

So if you're keeping tabs, 4 out of 4 Express Shopping Experts say you NEED a Portofino. Not sure what to wear with it? Please take a little trip in the blogging time machine and go back to my Portofino Style Guide for 23 ideas on how to wear it. Is it sheer? The white, ivory, lighter colors and chiffon versions are fairly sheer and you may need a camisole if you're wearing it to work. The darker colors are usually fine on their own.

Rachelle recommended the Sleeveless Portofino Shirt, and we've also seen it on her fellow Florida bloggers Tracy and Erika. Thanks to their influence I also tried this one on (with the Striped Shorts and my Sam Edelman Sandals):

The sizing was the same for me as the regular Portofino, and I liked it but didn't take this home mainly because I don't think it will be hot enough for me to wear this for quite a few more months, so I decided to wait and use my money on what I can wear now.

And a few more random try-ons because I didn't want any, "I should have purchased it when it was on sale," regrets like I had after Black Friday:

Of those three I only ended up getting the Peasant Blouse. (I blame Nicole Richie.) I didn't care for the feel of the fabric on the Matte Jersey tee ("old school polyester" as Carylee calls it) so I passed on that. I did like the Victorian Lace Portofino too, but I can't get everything I like and afford to eat, so I let that one go too and headed to Starbucks for an iced coffee (because the latté was too expensive) with my spare change.

I'd like to thank my guest panel for their contributions today and I'm looking forward to seeing what pieces everyone ends up getting this weekend and how they wear them!

Linking Up With:
Friday's Fab Favorites / Casual Friday /Favorite Fashion Friday / The Lauren Elizabeth / Fashion Item Friday / Passion for Fashion  / Fashion Friday /  Stylish Saturday / Be.YOU.tiful / Anything Goes / Weekend Wind Down  / Natalia & Ashlyn / Monday Morning Madness

CONVERSATION

40 comments:

  1. That peasant blouse is one of those omg I need it now pieces! The stella destroyed jean leggings are also a major must have!! I swear by them!!

    Have a great weekend Gina!!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Erica! I hope to see some sale selections on you soon. :)

      Delete
  2. ya know, I didn't get a portofino shirt with my haul....perhaps I should have?? Yikes...still time for another order...haha!! Great selections by all of you!
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, you need to try one. Just be warned, it's a slippery slope!

      Delete
  3. Ooh that romper is so cute! I'm hoping to hit the mall this weekend so I will definitely see what is in my Express :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's always so fun to see what people pick. I think you AND Darcy would look adorable in that.

      Delete
  4. Aww this was such a fun post! Thank you so much for asking me to be a part of it! The portofino is seriously the greatest shirt ever! I love how we recommended either the pink or polka dot one, haha! Also, everytime you show the picture of you in the black and white shorts I am so envious. I want them so badly! Have a great weekend!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating Darcy, and there's plenty of time before summer rolls around for you to get them still. I bet there will even be another good sale before the heat arrives.

      Delete
  5. These posts are so fun to read and Darcy is so right about the Express leopard belt, I have it and love it. The lace portofino is so pretty, I would wear it with a colorful cami :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a good idea! I think I might have been more tempted to get it in white but they didn't have that in my store. That would be a fun look with a contrasting cami.

      Delete
  6. I love all of the picks. Everyone looks so good in their favorites. I keep saying, oh I need that. No, I need that. I love zipper details so it's too bad the fabric didn't work on the matte jersey t. Bummer. I still have the Stella destroyed jeans on my "list" but I think I will wait until fall because it is already to darn hot here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean about waiting on the jeans. If you're already in sleeveless + shorts weather you've got a looong way to go before you need jeans!

      Delete
  7. Great blog - any idea when the portofino dress will be back in stock? I need some!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi diliana! Thanks for stopping by. Unfortunately I have zero insider knowledge on upcoming product releases. The last I saw a portofino dress in store was late in the fall. :( You could try asking Expres on Facebook, but usually they just say "keep checking our website because we add new styles everyday." Fingers crossed that they bring it back! It seemed like a fairly popular item!

      Delete
  8. I always love your blog posts! You rock. xo ~ The Fashionista Momma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone chose at least one item that I would have selected. Really like all the choices for Carylee & Skye but that scarf that Darcy is wearing would have been #1 on my list. Great stuff! Found you because of the link party from Two Thirty Five Designs, glad I visited her page or I would have missed a great sale & some good fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these features you do. You look lovely in each outfit on the last collage. Hope you got all those tops.

    P.S. You should really see my latest post. =D

    Have a Great Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ada, you are too kind. I couldn't get all the tops I wanted but I did get a few goodies with this sale so I'm happy.

      Delete
  11. I love the pink dress, and the last lace top is wonderful too. Please come share at the Anything Goes weekly linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post and great tips. Rachel xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice Blog you have here! perhaps we could follow each other? Follow me and I'll follow you back for sure :)

    xx ish

    http://tishaarnaldo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving all the polka dots! I'm overdue for an Express shopping haul :-P

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, what a great post. Portofinos are just the best and I love that I'm a part of your Express expert panel!! I bought the jersey zip pocket tee during the sale. I'm glad you featured it so now I know I need a tank underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love these outfit suggestions, you've certainly got an eye for fashion :)

    Much love, www.anniepop.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great comparisons and so much style inspiration here. Oh I love it!! Thanks for being at Fashion item Friday every time. So nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG I just squealed with delight when I realized I hadn't read your Friday post yet!! I love this! And hold up! I had no idea Skye and Darcy used to work for express! How cool is that! And my cousin in law was at express today and asked what portofinos she should get. I was in a meeting so texted her too late but I had told her my top two were the dot and mint. Followed by the Chelsea blue and the light blue. She texted me a pic of her shopping bag- mint and dots. She already checked out by the time she got my text. Shoot! Great minds!! Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Easter bunny I obviously need a Polka dot portofino! Such great suggestions, I have been eyeing that email in my inbox silently reminding me of the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love all these picks! I might take a trip to Express this weekend :)
    ~Ellen
    www.everydayfancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Inspired by your last post and knowing there was a sale, I went in to Express and found a fantastic shirt. Thanks! Happy Easter!

    Amy Ann
    The Real Arnolds

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhh so many great choices! I totally want to go shopping now.

    Pia
    pjmscloset.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am in love with all of these! I have a gift card to express! Now, I need to go shopping!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like that blue peasant blouse, great sale pick! :)

    I love 40% off sales, I always end up buying a ton, haha! (of course I've never shopped an express 40% off sale, but we don't have them here)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gotta love Neon and stripes! This is a great share and thanks for linking up with us again at the #WWDParty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that I need all of these items in my closet, now. lol. You are making it very hard to stay away from Express. Everyone on your list has great taste and picked some amazing pieces. It you have a moment, I would LOVE for you to link this to my weekly party. We would love to party with you :) Please and thank you
    -Kat
    http://www.confessionsoftheperfectmom.com/2014/04/21/monday-morning-makeup-madness-party-11/

    ReplyDelete
  27. "Express shopping authorities"...you guys are like a cult! :) (My kinda cult though...any cult centered around shopping is one I can get down with) I love Carylee's minty green outfit, she looks so cute in it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Rachelle's track pants!! :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for linking up to Monday Morning Madness!! I really hope that you will link up again this week :)
    -Kat
    www {dot} confessionsoftheperfectmom {dot} com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!