3/5/14

Scarfing

|
So I'm getting ready submit a new word definition to the people at Merriam-Webster for the next edition of their dictionary, and I think it will go something like this:

Scarfing: verb

A pattern of behavior involving an obsession of fashion scarves, including but not limited to: shopping for them, buying them, wearing them, pinning outfits and tutorials for them on Pinterest, tying them in different configurations, sewing them into infinity scarves, and so on.

Word origin:


Blue boxes: Me.  Gray boxes: Carylee @ More Pieces of Me

I probably don't even need to tell you that all of my scarves are from Express. Back in November I posted about my infinity scarf love, but I thought it was time for a little update since there are plenty of new scarves to love at Express and several months left in Scarf Season to wear them.

The scarf that inspired that text conversation was my favorite recent addition to my closet, this Plaid and Leopard Scarf. It's unique and easy to dress up or down, just like the options below:
Sources: Here / Sydne Style / More Pieces of Me / Cort in Session

My top scarf choices for Spring are probably going to be the Pink Leopard Infinity Scarf and the Blue Version:
Sources: Ella Pretty Blog / HereMore Pieces of Me

I just realized I've really been neglecting the Blue Leopard Scarf , which is sad because I love it. I wore it in an almost-identical way to the pink one, and then shed some layers when the day warmed up. Zero points for originality for me and back to the Pinterest board for ideas!

I fully intended to wear it like one of these outfits since I have similar pieces...so be on the lookout for one of these options in next month's Pin-spired challenge. (Hopefully committing to it in writing will help me actually do it...)


I've noticed a couple of other bloggers have been scarfing at Express, too. Darcy (far left and right) loves the Shimmering Infinity Scarves and Skye has a massive collection of scarves in general, including this Stripe and Dot Infinity Scarf (middle). 

Sources: One / Two / Three

If you're a fan of celebrity and designer fashion you might be familiar with the Alexander McQueen Skull Print Chiffon Scarf, shown here on Nicole, Carrie and Kim:


It's priced at $295 at Neiman Marcus, which is way out of my budget. But for a designer-inspired look there's the Studded Skull Square Scarf for $34.90 at Express:

Express vs. McQueen Skull Scarf

I took a count in my closet and found that in 1.5 years of scarfing I've gone from zero to ten scarves. I know I'm not alone in this obsession, so I'd love to know how long you've been scarfing and your scarf tally at the moment...if you dare to count! And if you haven't been scarfing at Express, what's your go-to store?

Thanks for stopping by today!

Linking up on Wednesday:
Random Wednesday / I Feel Pretty / What I Wore Wednesday  / Whatcha Wearin' Wednesday

Linking up on Thursday:


CONVERSATION

23 comments:

  1. haha! You totally made me get up to count how many scarves I have...21! Whoa, even I didn't realize that! Apparently I've been scarfing way more than I thought!! :-) I'm not particular with my scarves...I really just keep an eye out where ever I am...most recently I picked up 2 for $20 at Charming Charlie & one of my most favorites is from Zumiez. I'm diggin that pink leopard one from Express tho! ;-)
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I have HNS (hot neck syndrome) but I really want to wear scarves more. We find out this week where we are moving next so maybe it will be a cooler climate and I can be scarfing with the best of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love scarves and support the work Scarfing!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. $295 for a scarf?! Good God. I am all for paying for quality designer pieces... like shoes or jeans but a scarf?! Thank goodness for Express! They have amazing scarves. It's true, I'm addicted. Thanks for the feature, Gina!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha man we are funny and genius even when we don't try it!!
    You don't want me to count my scarves. I should just count how many I have gotten this year and you would be scared. I will wear the blue infinity one today and send you a photo!!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, uh, have so many scarves after two years or so of buying them that my best friend gave me a scarf hanger/organizer for my birthday. I'm trying not to add any more but that leopard and plaid one from Express just gets me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!!! This is awesome!! I am with you...scarves are my BFF year round...okay, maybe not in July & August!! Submit! Submit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Carylee are amazing!! Love you guys!! Scarfing is now being put into my vocabulary! Wonder how long it'll take now for this new word to be used amongst the blogging world?! I must go scarfing at Express soon - Love the pink leopard one!

    xo, Erica
    www.casuallystyled.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been neglecting my scarf game, I need to get back on it. Thanks for the inspiration and push

    xo
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm somewhat obsessed with scarves so loved every single word and picture in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought I commented on yours already. Can't believe I waited til 6pm?! I'm such a bad friend. I love this post because you know all too well that I have a million, yes I counted that high, scarves. I just ordered this awesome one from Gap two days a go too. Oh and today I totally tied my B&W geo print just like Carylee taught us.

    ~Skye
    http://theshopaholicsahm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so cute...i love that you made your own word! :) Webster would be a fool not to take you up on your offer! I wish I could join you in your scarfing, but it's too frickin hot to wear them here. Oh well, I'll just have to check out yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scarfing! That's so funny, I've never heard that term before! I love it :) although I only own one very old scarf from express! I just got a floral print one from loft and I can't wait to style it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who knows, 'scarfing' may just be included in a dictionary.

    The pink infinity scarf looks very chic and pretty. I love that you styled it with a plain white top.


    ~ Evelyn of http://RagsExchange.com AND http://StyleActuallyBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great dupe from Express, Gina! I am not a scarf person but I love how it adds instant chic to any outfit. Have a wonderful rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scarves are extensions of my body at this point, like an arm or a leg. I NEED them. They are essential. Love all of the looks you've curated here. :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love scarves! I watch way too many youtube videos on fun ways to tie them. They're the best accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gina first of all I love the word "scarfing" will start using it I think. Also those text with Carylee- so cute :)
    I love scarves too and have such a big collection that I don't know why I don't use more of them for my blog. Your Express ones are adorable; seriously though every time I come visit you here I feel like running to the door for a trip to Express haha! XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love scarves and there are so many great ones here. I had not thought of the concept of scarfing before and your text messages are pretty entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love scarves! They are so comfortable, warm and they are a great statement piece to add to your outfit.

    -Vogue&Heels
    www.vogueandheels.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think Scarfing will make a nice addition to Webster's Dictionary. For some reason I love buying scarves but rarely wear them. They just sit in my closet...ugh!

    xo,
    Janise
    http://MamaInHeels.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot get enough scarves! They're my favorite winter accessory since they're cute and functional. :) Thanks for linking up!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!