3/31/14

Cheating

|
Being a one-brand blogger has its pros and cons. One con is that sometimes I really love a product that's not from Express and I have to decide: do I share my love for this product or not? Is it something that my readers want to know about or do they only want me to write about Express stuff?

Secondly, any attempt to explain why I bought something from another store makes it sounds like I'm giving a cliché cheating spouse excuse, and that makes me feel guilty. My fears are confirmed by this article from  the Huffington Post, where I found some #ExcusesCheatersUse tweets that perfectly capture my blogging dilemma.



After seeing so many great looks like the ones below I needed a new pair of olive skinnies. I tried the one pair Express had back in December (post here) and they didn't fit me right at all. They haven't had any other options since then. I felt justified in stepping out on Express and telling them: "You weren't there for me when I needed you!" 


Sources: Left / Middle / Right

My search finally came to an end when I recently found a pair I loved from Guess. The bad news is that they are almost sold out now (check availability here). But here's a pin-spired outfit I put together with my new favorite olive cargo skinnies:

Left:  Source
My Outfit: Tee / Olive Skinnies (Option, Option) / Sandals / Necklace: Forever 21 (shortened by me, of course) / Bracelet




I talk non-stop about my favorite pair of jeans, the Stella Destroyed Jean Legging. They're soft, stretchy, flattering and comfortable. I love them and I would wear them every day if I could. But...sometimes we need a break. Sometimes they need to be washed and I need a different pair of destroyed jeans to wear on those days. I saw this pair on Whitney of Polished & Pink recently and thought they looked amazing on her:


They were cheap and easy...so I did it. They're not prettier or softer or better than Stella. And I still love Stella more. But we were on a break, okay? Here's a look at my "on a break" jeans (left) vs. the Stella Destroyed Jean Legging (right).

Left Outfit:  Tee / Leopard Belt / Jeans / Sandals / Bracelet / Necklace (Forever 21- in store)
Right Outfit: Portofino Shirt (Similar to Peach Blossom) / Leopard Belt / Jeans / Sandals / Necklace (Similar)



Life is too short to limit myself to one store! Express has some cute shoes but it's a fairly limited selection. So as I've been building up my shoe wardrobe for spring and summer I've shopped elsewhere quite a bit, as evidenced by any of my outfit pics. And I don't feel guilty for it because YOLO! 


There's another cliché saying about cheaters: once a cheater always a cheater. And in this case, well, it's true. I'll probably be shopping at Express for many years to come, but I don't think exclusivity is going to be part of the deal any time soon.

Thanks to everyone who links up for Manic Monday! We welcome all topics and truly appreciate your support!

Also linking up with:

Tuesday Linkups:

Linkup Button




We'd love to have YOU link-up with us for Manic Monday.

Here are the simple guidelines:

1. Click below to add a link to your recent post. Any topic is fine!

2. Please make sure your post has links back to both More Pieces of Me and On the Daily Express.

3. It would be very cool if you followed along with us via the social media platform of your choice (Bloglovin, Pinterest, Twitter etc.), but as long you link back to the hosts it's all good. 

Thanks for linking up!

CONVERSATION

39 comments:

  1. Your post made me laugh this morning! Its like when my husband asks if something is new and I'm like uh, no i've had it for years kind of thing lol! We all know your heart lies with Express but I love how your sharing some great finds from other stores!

    xo, Erica
    Casually Styled

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that is really complicated Gina....shopping in only store with so many choices abound all around. But I think the Guess pants are a good choice....olive pants are a must have this Spring & beyond!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, you crack me up!! I can always count on you for humor in your posts! Very funny about the olive skinnies...I tried on a pair of olive cargo pants on Saturday at Forever 21, left without them only to keep thinking about them...Yep, went back on Sunday and bought them. Excited to style them because they are outside my "norm".
    Kellie @ www.ie-style.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously! You are so creative with your posts! I love this! And I do think it's ok to stray from Express. Definitely agree with Erica that we know Express is your forever, but yes it's awesome to see how your personality comes out with other brands and how those pieces complement your predominant Express wardrobe! And dangit I need those VC sandals!!!
    Http://morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS loved that you used the Friends reference!!!!

      Delete
  5. Your title certainly caught my attention! You are so funny, Gina. Love that you're so creative with your posts. And I agree with you that life is too short to limit yourself to one store. I have my favorites, as you do, that I'll always go back to but it's okay to shop around, actually it's the smart thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The olive skinnies are gorgeous. I seems okay to say that if someone doesn't have what you need, then you have to go somewhere else for it ... until you call it cheating and then it seems a little wrong. Have you make a lasting and binding commitment to Express and promised it things that you are renaguing on now? If not, then I think Express knows the boundaries and if it can't supply your needs, it has to look withing for a solution. You're good. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I could ever shop in just one store (although for a while NY&Co and I were pretty monogamous - but their spring lines can be so pastel...) Plus, I love these olive skinnies! I think they pair so well with cognac shoes or leopard that I am on the hunt for some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post.

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend.
    Love,
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and funny! Love the "other pair" of jeans (Vigoss). Wow the price is SO great! Do they run true to size?
    Cute post!!!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee and I think the Vigoss run pretty true to size. Most of my pants are from Express (uh...I guess that's obvious) and their sizing is 0/2/4/6/8/10. The Vigoss are 24/25/26 etc., so it's a bit different. Mostly at Express I wear a 0 or sometimes 00. I got the Vigoss in a 24 and that worked, and I also got a 24 in the Guess pants. So...I guess they run normal. :)

      Delete
  10. This was a funny post! You've made some great points and sometimes you have to do what's best. :-)

    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the olive skinnies ... definitely worth straying for;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginnie, glad you all are able to accept me and my straying ways!

      Delete
  12. Too funny! I don't think I could ever stay completely faithful to one store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could never be faithful to just one store also I have my favourites too hahahaha. Love those olive cargos, look great on you :-)

    ani
    www.fleurani.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  14. Honestly it's fine to branch out and try different brands! You can't just stay with one brand forever as like you mentioned, they don't always have that one thing you might be looking for! Your Guess pants look awesome! I really like your blog! I'm glad that I found it! It would be nice if you could stop by my blog sometime too (I'm from England) as I post my outfits, personal style, likes and much more :) :)

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and I'd be happy to check out your blog. :)

      Delete
  15. Those jeans look amazing on you. So jealous of your long legs. I might give these jeans a try. Thanks for sharing, Gina. Hope you have a wonderful week~

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me laugh Gina! At first when I saw the title, my immediate thought was oh no! What happened? I jumped to conclusions lol.
    I think it's totally fine to cheat on a store! I have quite a few favorite stores that I shop in frequently: express, loft, and Nordstrom. I think it's good to mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely loved that post! You are too funny, I could never be in a monogamist relationship with one store... I would literally die. It's all about variety in my closet. Thank you for the blog love!

    XO
    - Whit
    polishedandpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are too funny, it is not cheating it's almost impossible to have all your stuff be from one brand. I do need olive cargos too I tried on a J.Crew pair a while back and regret not getting them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always look forward to your posts because I can count on a good laugh and I needed that today! I am still trying to get into the routine of things and one bad thing happened after another. Anyways.....You are so creative. Seriously, do you have a running list of post ideas? Jealous. I love your sandals especially the Forever 21 ones. I always find the best shoes there and the financial commitment is perfect for trendy pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I WISH I had a running list of ideas. Mostly I fly by the seat of my pant and don't know what I'm posting until 1-2 days before. But thank you for the nice compliment - I'm glad it looks well thought-out!

      Delete
  20. Haha this is so funny.I feel like I go through stages with Express. One month I can't get enough and buy so much stuff and am incredibly happy with what they are offering and the next I can't find a single thing I like! I say in the name of fashion it's okay to branch out a little! ;) Hope you had a good weekend!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL...you are so funny...and yes, those excuses are right out of a Maury Povich episode...lol...although luckily Express is too classy to slap you and pull you hair on national tv. Luv the skinnies, jeans and shoes...in their case I think you were totally justified for checking someone else out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sadly enough i had to google 'yolo',,,thats the second time it came up today! Chkout the definition that came up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=yolo

      Delete
  22. haha! Love the way you laid out this post. Love those Olive pants!!!
    ~Ellen
    www.everydayfancy.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting the link up and stopping by my blog! I totally know the feeling of cheating on a store, and those excuses are too funny! Those olive skinnies were worth cheating for tho. They look great on you! I might need a pair now...

    Nicole
    www.nicoletothenines.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm SO shocked...I never would have guessed you were a cheater ;-)

    Oh well, at least you cheated for a good reason! The Guess olive skinnies are perfect - as are the Vigoss destroyed jeans.

    And as for your question - I'd love to read about any great finds you have - Express or not :-) Maybe save them up for a bi-weekly cheaters post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the idea of doing a regular confessional of my cheating. :) Thank you for the feedback on that question!

      Delete
  25. Love all your picks Gina! Cheating for a good reason I would call it.. to compliment your usual, why not? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nothing wrong with a little brand break every now and again! :) I love those olive skinnies- perfect on you!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. your post made me laugh...I'm that way with my Coach handbags...I've pretty much always purchased from them since forever...and now I'm starting to venture out -every time I walk by their store I feel a twinge of guilt...but just for a moment!
    Have a happy Tuesday!
    Alyssa
    alyssabarnettbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. love these outfits and inspirations! :)
    www.fashionfixhunter.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love all these looks! It's ok to cheat every once in a while! :)

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this post Gina; and a bit relieved to know you let yourself see what's out there too girlie haha; in fashion loyalty is a hard to find quality and you are the closest person to fashion loyalty that I know! <3<3 Kidding aside, loved all your new finds! The olive skinnies are great and the way you styled them is very cool, modern! The destroyed jeans are cute, both of them. I have to admit here though that I like Stella's just a tad better. ( not to push you into the Express direction or anything :-)) Keep on yolo'ing lady; looks good on you! <3 XOXO, Elif

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!