1/22/14

The Top Ten Trends: Part Two

|
Ready to see the second half of the top ten trends Piperlime thinks you need in your closet NOW? Get your scorecards out and let's see how we rank on trends six through ten. (If you're just joining this program already in session, go here to review trends 1-5.)

6. Printed Blouse


Sources: Left, Middle, Right

In a nutshell, I'd say I find prints...charming. My when-in-doubt outfit consists of ankle pants (or shorts in warmer weather) and a blouse of some kind, and a printed blouse is a simple way to add a little visual interest without needing to fuss with accessories. I don't have a huge collection of prints and I mostly favor subtle versions, but I'm still giving myself a full point for this trend.

Left: Snakeskin Portofino, Hip Zip Ankle Pants, Peep Toe Booties, Express Necklace
Middle: Bird Portofino, J Crew Shorts, Banana Republic Belt, Express Bracelet, Similar Sandals
Right: Polka Dot Portofino (current), Stella Jean LeggingNecklace, Bracelet, Target Booties

Express is carrying this trend in spades (although no spade print in particular) with everything from subtle hearts to quirky cats and butterflies:


7. Fashion Flat


Sources: LeftMiddleRight

Just like the sneaker trend, it's always nice when your feet can be fashionable and comfortable at the same time. I love heels and think most outfits look a little more fabulous with them, but it's no secret that they aren't the best for foot health. (One article here if you care to read more.) I wore various flats in this post to dress down my scuba leggings, and there are several on-trend options at Express you can click through below:


8. Soft Pant

Image Source: Self 

When this trend first started popping up, a Hall & Oates lyric constantly played in my mind. "I can't go for that. No. No can do." (I'm sorry if you're too young to be familiar with this tune. The 80s were the best.) But now...these pants have grown on me. A teeny, tiny bit. I'm not wearing them. They're not on my wishlist. But if they stick around a little longer maybe I'll try this trend. Maybe.

Mostly I'm afraid I'll end up looking like this:

Image source

I want to say that Express is on track with this trend, but that pun is too obvious, isn't it?


9. Exotic Print Handbag

Images:  Diane von FurstenburgStella McCartney Wristlet, Michael Kors Selma Handbag

The Express winning trend streak of 8 for 8 ends here. They don't have a single exotic print handbag. You can see all of their options here including holographic, rhinestone, and studded options. But I can't officially give them any trend points. I, however, manage to score one point here for a Target clearance bag I bought several years back. I guess it's true that if you hold onto something long enough it comes back in style!



10. Maxi Dress

Image Sources: Left, Middle, Right

The only thing I've ever owned in the maxi category ends with pad. (Uh, obviously no fashion trend points for that.) I think the main reason I haven't embraced this trend is because I've never had a closet with a lot of vertical hanging space! My shoes are always stored under my clothes, and I don't want the bottom of a dress or skirt dangling on them. If I found a dress that really called my name I'm sure I could figure something out, but so far that hasn't happened.



My final trend score for Part One and Part Two: 6.5 out of 10

Final trend score for Express: 9 out of 10

How did you fare today? Any trends that are in the Hall & Oates category for you? I'd love to hear your score in the comments below!

Linking up with:
Random Wednesday
I Feel Pretty
What I Wore Wednesday
Tres Chic Fashion Thursday
Bethany & Meghan for Three-fer Thursday
Jacqueline & Elle for Spotlight Weekly
All Things Thursday
The Fashion Informant
Weekend Wind-Down


CONVERSATION

30 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I know what you mean about the pants and Hall & Oates! I just ordered my first pair....Hopefully I won't be disappointed.
    xo, Lee
    (Sorry there was a spelling error in my first comment attempt.....I'm a little OCD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! Can't wait to see how you wear your first pair. And I totally understand about deleting for spelling errors. I have done the same thing and can't tell you how much I wish there was an EDIT COMMENTS button!!

      Delete
  3. This was a great post! I love how you highlighted the trends and then showed how Express is doing with them. I was in store on Monday and was slightly disappointed with the options! They already had out so many shorts.... Express I live in Missouri and it was 5 degrees yesterday!! I'm not ready to buy those yet! I felt like they were way ahead in terms of the season. Yes, I love looking at your fun tank tops and shorts but those are not what I'm shopping for yet. I loved the maxi dress you featured with a slit up the front leg!

    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! It's crazy how early they put out spring stuff. They had in all these pastel sleeveless tops at my store in December! Granted, it's warm here but STILL. I am going to dress in winter colors until spring, even if the overall outfit is warm weather friendly.

      Delete
  4. i am totally with you on the comfy pants trend. they look SO cute on certain people & styled certain ways, but they can also look awful! i'm still not decided if i'm going to take the plunge on that one. i do love the printed blouses & fashion flats though.

    xo,
    gabby
    www.likealittlefox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they really do look good on some people! The one pair I tried looked okay from the front but NOT from the back, so it was a no go. And still, I'm just not sure if this trend will stick around....

      Delete
  5. Ok so I don't know if this is sad or good but I'm a 9 out of 10. And the only thing I'm missing is a pair of mirrored sunnies?! I wouldn't consider myself uber trendy, but hmm.
    But I'm reading this on a conference call and I almost laughed out loud at your "don't wanna look like this" comment in the soft pants! I need to put those on my list to wear next week!! I do have printed flats but I don't wear them as much as I should! And you are spoiling me with your selfies! Loving your style application!
    Morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, get used to the selfies, they're here for awhile. :) A little bird told me they would be helpful to my readers. :) I don't think it's good or bad to be a 9 out of 10. If you like something, why not try it!

      Delete
  6. I'm 4 out of 5 today. I actually just got a pair of the "joggers" (hate that name BTW)/soft pant in a blue print. I'm sure my not-fashion-forward husband will have some smart ass comment when I wear them. Probably an MC Hammer reference. No exotic animal print. Overall 7.5/10

    Tracy @Its Mostly About Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I cannot wait to see how you wear your soft pants! Yeah, there are some fashion trends that definitely do not make sense to men, and this is probably one of them.

      Delete
  7. I'm a little iffy on the soft pant trend too. Maybe I will come around, but I'm sticking with jeans for now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here...they look cute sometimes on some people, but I'm good for now. :)

      Delete
  8. I used to avoid prints for some reason but now I'm totally in love with them! Great trends, I'd love to pick up a little of each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of a print-avoider too. I guess they seem more recognizable and therefore less versatile to me. Like everyone will say "Oh, there she is in that bird shirt again." Versus a solid blue shirt is just a shirt!

      Delete
  9. I really love prints! You had some awesome choices in this post!


    Xo, Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy reading your posts. I like the 80's reference. Totally agree that the 80's were the best, especially for Karaoke songs.

    Cynthia
    wwww.myrosecoloredshades.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, don't even get me started on 80s karaoke jams! I am trying to update my song repertoire with some 90s jams, but who doesn't want to belt out a little Madonna now and then?

      Delete
  11. What a gorgeous selection !
    The mint green shirt in the very first row is absolutely beautiful!

    Hayfa
    www.londonloafers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe it's from an English retailer so that might work out well for you. :)

      Delete
  12. I can't get behind the soft track pants, either. For those shorties of us with, uh, athletic hips and thighs I just don't think we have the build to make them look flowy and lean like they look on the models (or celebrities).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sensing some irony in the fact that track/athletic pants do not look good on women with athletic figures. LOL!

      Delete
  13. Printed blouses and flats are a classic combo! I love wearing both, whether I'm working or off duty. You can't go wrong! I'm hoping express comes out with a lip print portofino. I want one for V day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I could see that! They roll out a new print basically every week so it wouldn't surprise me!

      Delete
  14. I love these trends- especially the soft trouser pants; need a few more of those in my closet! :)

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the trend run down! I love how the soft pants look on models - but I have a feeling they'll be hard for me to wear in person without looking like 80s sweatpants...still, it might be worth trying for the comfort factor alone!

    Your pictures are so funny - first the fur bikini from the other day - and today's kitchen sweatpant image LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the soft pant. I need to get some.:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the printed blouse. Very comfortable and minimal effort to look put-together! - J

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!