1/15/14

The Scuba Leggings Situation

|
You know that old saying about money burning a hole in your pocket? Well, I have a similar issue with new clothes. They burn a hole in my closet. I need to wear them within thirty days of purchase, otherwise they need to be returned because they are wasting precious space in my closet and using up money that could be spent on something I will wear more frequently.

This brings me to my current situation with my Scuba Leggings


Express minus the leather leggings, faux leather leggings, scuba leggings, pleather leggings

I bought them during the Black Friday sale, which, believe it or not, started eight weeks ago. But they are sitting in my closet unworn. Technically, that means it's time for them to go.

But....I'm not ready to let them go! I keep seeing great faux leather leggings outfits on other people and intending to re-create one of those looks, but I just haven't done it. Not to mention the fact that every time I put them on I feel sort of like this:
(Image Source)

I need to find a way to wear these that dresses them down and makes me feel comfortable and not like, "HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT MY LEATHER PANTS."

First stop: Pinterest. When I searched for leather leggings there were a lot of looks I liked that definitely kept them toned down, but most of them would require me to go shopping for some of the pieces to complete the look. Like these:

Express minus the leather leggings, faux leather leggings, scuba leggings, pleather leggings, outfit ideas, going out, daytime
Sources: Left, Middle, Right

The middle outfit with the white tunic seems good for my weather and would only require me to get a tunic. And I've been eyeing this similar white tunic since featuring it back here. But still, I want more than one way to wear them and I want to make sure it goes with other stuff I already own.

There were also a few good dressed-down options with simple pieces:

Sources Top: Left, Middle, Right
Bottom: Left, Middle, Right

And once again, while I think I would feel pretty comfortable in these, I don't have enough of the right pieces in my closet to re-create them.

Finally, I found these two looks:

Sources: Left, Right

Well, I do have a denim jacket. It's this exact version from Express. I don't have a drapey white tee but I do have a long white tank, so that was close enough for me to give this one a try.

Express minus the leather leggings, faux leather leggings, scuba leggings, pleather leggings, chevron necklace, denim jacket, leopard scarf

Except for the fact that my white tank is kind of sheer and you can see the black pants through it, I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I also tried it with some different accessories (like the chevron necklace and the leopard scarf) just for the sake of experimenting.

Shop the look:




This image also had some pieces similar to what I already own:

leather leggings outfit with blazer, scuba leggings, faux leather leggings

Once again, no oversized white tee in my closet but since I do have a gray blazer, I went for it and experimented a little with accessories.

Express minus the leather leggings, faux leather leggings, scuba leggings, pleather leggings, blazer outfit, scarf outfit


This one felt a little bit more dressy than the denim jacket, but still wearable for me. (My exact blazer is above is Tinley Road via Piperlime, although the color I'm wearing is sold out so the option below is similar. Shoes are also similar since mine are ancient.)

Shop the look:





And last of all, I was finally starting to get comfortable in these things so I experimented without a visual aid:

Express scuba leggings, faux leather leggings, pleather leggings, peep toe booties, runway side cut out booties

This one was probably my favorite, but I do think it's more something I would wear for a casual night out rather than for day-to-day. Your lifestyle may vary!

Shop the look:


Needless to say, the Scuba Leggings are staying my closet. I was surprised by how many ways I have to wear them on hand, I just needed to do some experimenting.

I'd love to know what's burning a hole in your closet so let me know in the comments below!

Linking up today with:  
Random Wednesday
I Feel Pretty
What I Wore Wednesday
Tres Chic Fashion Thursday
Bethany & Meghan for Three-fer Thursday
Jacqueline & Elle for Spotlight Weekly
The Fashion Informant
Weekend Wind-Down

CONVERSATION

38 comments:

  1. Ha! For Halloween you can be catwoman and I will be a Fembot!
    But look at you go! I would def not let you get rid of them! I have an asymmetric crackle pair (from yesterday) then full front panels. I reach for those two all. The. Time. It's nice that they're leggings and don't feel like hosiery. The last outfit is my fave too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sold on the Halloween costume ideas. :) You were totally right about these- they really aren't as "out there" as I thought.

      Delete
  2. I have been eyeing leather leggings for long, havent been able to grab one i love yet. You shouldnt let these ones go..you look fab in them!! Lvoe the one with the leopard scarf! Stopping by from pleated poppy link up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I am keeping them because they are comfortable and I like the fit. I just needed to put some effort into finding a comfortable outfit for them.

      Delete
  3. If anyone can pull this look off, it is you! I really like the scarf outfit.

    Trayc @Its Mostly About Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tracy, and thanks for the favorite look feedback!

      Delete
  4. You need to keep those scuba leggings!! I have a pair and absolutely love them... I am actually considering buying another pair! They were all sold out of my size in the normal ones when I was shopping, so I had to buy the ones with the mesh inset. For the ridiculously low price I bought them for ($14) I thought they were worth it. I do love them, but I really with I just had the normal ones so that I could rock them with more options!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa!! $14?? I was feeling good about my $25 pair. LOL! I do prefer the non-mesh inset ones (I've tried both) so you'll have to keep an eye out for a good sale!

      Delete
  5. Keep them... I bought them on Black Friday too, which was such a good deal! I think the blazer look is great and so easy to achieve. Also a lace top would be awesome... leather and lace combo is very "in" right now. :) I personally think it's a great trend mixing feminine and masculine pieces together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't really return them now! I loved your look with these and the lace tee...I think I'd need a long blazer or jacket or something to pull that off, though!

      Delete
  6. You look hawt in those leggings, the def need to stay - they look great on you!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne! They are staying. :)

      Delete
  7. Such a great blog !! very nice!!!!!!!:)
    stunning post! i really love it!!!!
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK
    <a href="http://

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently bought a pair of faux leather leggings myself but have only worn them one way so far. Well, technically two ways but only one made it to the blog as seen here. The other time I just wore a red cardigan instead of a black blazer.

    Your start with the white tank and then changing out the topper and the accessories is a great way to figure out how to wear something. Because, really, what's a better base than black and white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even plan it that way...it really just happened because I had nothing else to work with! off to check out your leather leggings looks!

      Delete
  9. Look at you getting lots of great comments from new followers. Way to go girlfriend. Keep up the great work!!!

    Have a lovely evening...
    Skye
    TheShopaholicSAHM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Well I love all 3 outfits...I think they are very smart and chic. I also think you should get the white tunic...it was my favorite of the first group and looks so comfy and cute. I'm also totally with you on the retuning thing...if I haven't worn it after a while, and I look at it and it doesn't excite me....it's going back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and I bought the white tunic last night (online). *sigh*. I really liked that look and want to try it!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness - we both posted about faux leather leggings & express leopard scarves this week! Twinsies lol! I love all the leather legging inspiration pics you posted - especially the first one with the grey cable sweater layered over white.

    Love the combinations you came up with to wear your scuba leggings - and I like your rule about wearing an item when you first get it to make sure it suits your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Great minds! I love how you styled your scarves and glad you are finding them versatile and NOT something you'll have to return after 30 days. :)

      Delete
  12. Oooh, I love these scubas on you! I need to swing by Express soon and give 'em a go myself. Great styling, babe!

    -Ashley
    http://lestylorouge.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't return them! I absolutely love what you did with them in the end. How's the new year treating you? If you're like many of us and have resolved to spend a little less this year, we'd love to tell you about Dorco. We're a shaving company providing quality razors for up to 70% less than leading brands. Chances are you're paying way too much for razors. Plus, by switching to Dorco you can finally afford to change your blades often, which will result in happier, healthier skin (something else I think we all want in 2014!) You don't have to sacrifice quality to save so much, though. Read what others think about our products at DorcoUSA.com, and check out our prices for yourself while you're there. Thanks for hearing us out, and we wish you all the best in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alice, I will keep them! And wow, you're super passionate about those razors....

      Delete
  14. You and Ella have me envious with the beautiful way these leggings look on you! I tried on some leather leggings from express during the Black Friday sale and they didn't work on me. You styled them perfectly! I agree they are tricky to wear, but I think simplicity is best. You nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Noelle! They definitely took some getting used to for me. Now the temps just need to drop back down so I can wear them!

      Delete
  15. I also like the one with the cheetah scarf!

    -http://chelseypatti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this look with the grey blazer! So great!
    xo,
    Jacqueline
    stylininstlouis.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both outfits you put together. The jackets are perfect on you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Ginny! :) I always appreciate your feedback and comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, these are great - I wish I could wear but think those days are gone forever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so excited! I have the pattern but haven't made them yet -- next up!!!! Leggings

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE my scuba leggings. I got a couple different pairs (the jean-looking ones and the moto-style) and I pretty much wear them with anything and everything. Although lately all I've been wearing when I'm not at work is some kind of legging!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!