1/30/14

Features & Favorites 1/30/14

|
Express portofino shirt, boucle print, fleeze blazer, cotton blazer, knit curved hem jacket

Sorry if I made you think it was Friday by posting my list a day early! Although it's unlikely anyone notices what day of the week I post things, so forget the faux-pology and let's just talk fashion and shopping.

First up: Jacqueline of Stylin' in St Louis. She's wearing an "older" Express shirt that looks exactly like a Convertible Sleeve Portofino in True White. It's such a classic, versatile shirt that it doesn't matter what year you bought it, just that you have one in your closet because you will undoubtedly find plenty of ways to wear it.

Express convertible sleeve portofino shirt, true white, outfit idea

And since Portofinos are buy one get one for $19.90 right now, everyone knows it's only practical get two of them. My choice for an add-on is going to be the Bouclé Print Portofino. It became a must-have for me after I saw it on Skye of The Shopaholic SAHM. Her styling appealed to me more than the model for this, so my "I don't need any more Portofinos" resolve is quickly slipping away.

Express convertible sleeve portofino shirt, boucle print, outfit idea

I love how much a blazer can dress up a simple outfit of jeans and a tee or tank, just like this one shown on Kelly of Kelly's Reality. She's wearing the Knit Curved Hem Jacket, and all of the 19 reviewers agreed that it's very comfortable, some saying that it feels like a sweatshirt. Feels like a sweatshirt + looks like a blazer = winning.

Express knit curved hem jacket, fleeze blazer

I posted about ordering the Anchor Print Portofino when I first spotted it online in way back in December, and lately it's becoming a "blink and you miss it" item. It's been in and out of stock all week, and I was hesitant whether to post this look by Carylee of More Pieces of Me because the shirt will probably be gone again by the time I publish this post!

Express convertible sleeve portofino shirt, anchor print, anchor print shirt

But...I'm doing it anyway because 1) it's cute. And 2) someone might pull a Daft Punk and get lucky. But if you keep missing out on the Portofino maybe you'll have better luck with one of these nautical themed pieces:



I have a feeling this High Waist Full Skirt  is going to be kind of a thing. I saw this exact Express version two times this week. It's shown here on Kimberly of Penny Pincher Fashion via Instagram. (She tried it on with the Tweed Cropped Zip Back Woven Tank).


And I also saw it in this set on Tracy's Notebook of Style:


The pieces in Tracy's set reminded me of a recent look on With Love From Kat. Kat's skirt is from Tibi, retails for $400 and is sold out online. (I just saved you $400. You're welcome.) Coincidentally, the sweater in this picture is from Express (also sold out), but I do think the Express skirt would work just as well for this look at a fraction of the cost. (Oops...I guess I only saved you $340.)


One thing that has been consistently in stock for awhile is this Pearl and Metal Bauble Necklace I spotted it this week on Erin of Loop Looks and it made a nice addition to her office-ready outfit.


What I loved from Express this week (thanks for asking!) was my Leopard Infinity Scarf in Blue. I think this one will be in heavy rotation during the spring and I'm already pinning blue scarf looks like a madwoman on Pinterest (feel free to view my blue scarf board here).


I wore it here with Stella Extreme Stretch Jean LeggingsTarget Booties, and a Piperlime blazer (my color sold out, similar color from Express).

And finally, if I convinced you sometime this week (see here and here) that a Varsity Baseball Bomber Jacket is more versatile than you thought but you don't want to spend too much on something that's unlikely to be a classic piece, I also spotted this affordable Forever 21 Varsity Jacket. It's slightly different than the Express version, but could easily be styled in all the same ways.


Thanks for reading today and let me know what things you have your eye on or just bought at Express lately!

Linking up on Thursday:
Bethany & Meghan for Three-fer Thursday /The Fashion Informant

And Friday:
What I'm Loving Friday / Friday's Fab Favorites / Casual Friday /Favorite Fashion Friday
Passion for Fashion and Co-Host / Weekend Wind Down

CONVERSATION

8 comments:

  1. I just don't know about that High Waist Full Skirt. Courtney Kerr had it on her blog today and even admitted that it may not be the most flattering thing. Um, why would you admit that and then wear it. I am just jealous because 1. I'm too old and not skinny enough to wear this 2. Where would I wear this?
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel this way about the midi length tulle skirts. I have one from modcloth, but it just doesn't look as princessy on me as it does on everyone else. perhaps I just need to properly style it and see how I feel...

      Delete
  2. I just literally purchased the portofino in true white! So what number is that for me? 5, 6? I lost count! Love them so so much! I do wish it wasn't see through. I feel I have to wear a cami underneath it, but oh well. I desperately needed a white button down and of course my beloved portofino came through :) going back to express next week to use a coupon and I have to see if I can find that pretty full skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just literally purchased the portofino in true white! So what number is that for me? 5, 6? I lost count! Love them so so much! I do wish it wasn't see through. I feel I have to wear a cami underneath it, but oh well. I desperately needed a white button down and of course my beloved portofino came through :) going back to express next week to use a coupon and I have to see if I can find that pretty full skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, forget what I said in my last post about my blue scarf. You just confirmed why I decided to get it! :) But now I need the other one, too.
    I laughed at the Daft Punk reference! I was having the same issue - seeing it in and out of stock! But I do wish someone gets lucky because I love it!
    I also love that bauble necklace and am urging you to get this if you don't have it already, though to be honest, it doesn't seem to be "your style" to me (totally not a bad thing) from what I gather. But maybe (hopefully) I am wrong and you would wear it! :)
    And when I was reading your Friday post and saw this one, I thought - wahhhh? We are blessed with 4 posts in one week? And I got really excited. Just so you know. <3 Thanks for making my week!
    morepiecesofme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout out!

    I really need to get some of those Portofino shirts. I don't know why I'm waiting since they're on sale right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey hey hey....it's me! Thanks for featuring me! I sure do hope you get the boucle...it's hot hot! See you around!!!!

    ~Skye
    TheShopaholicSAHM

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Express skirt is really a steal - especially when we are going to see all the expensive designer versions! Thanks for featuring my set :) I love your blue leopard scarf, I may have to pick that up!

    Tracy
    www.TracysNotebookofStyle.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly! Also, due to a recent influx of Spam unfortunately I've had to turn comment moderation back on. Apologies for the inconvenience!