11/20/13

See It, Try It...Buy It?

|
I see so many great Express products around the web each week and think I want them ALL at first, but heading in store to try them on definitely helps narrow down my wishlist. Hopefully my trial and error sessions can help you narrow down your choices as well...or expand your wishlist. It could go either way!

The first time I spotted Color Block Mock Neck Ruched Sweater Dress was on Instagram with the caption: "The sweater dress = perfect going-out look for fall. How do YOU rock it?"


Express mock neck ruched sweater dress, black, turtleneck dress

I know that was a rhetorical question, but I still wanted to answer it! Plus, 34 out of 35 reviewers gave it 5 stars, so I had a feeling it would be a hit. I picked the Fantasia Blue version (this one is not color blocked) since Leopard Martini and More Pieces of Me had me craving some cobalt, and here's how it looked in the fitting room:

Express Mock Neck Ruched Sweater Dress, Turtleneck dress, Fantasia Blue dress, cobalt, Plaid Scarf, Blue plaid, men's scarf

That plaid scarf I added? It's from Express Men! I've had my eye on it since this post, and I didn't see why it couldn't work for women.

But back to the dress: if you want to a sexy statement without looking like you're trying too hard ("What? This? It's just a simple sweater dress!"), this dress would be perfect. It's figure flattering, curve hugging and totally comfortable. You may even want to size up depending on exactly how tight and short you want it to be.

The view from the back gives you an idea of how short this is (definitely not office appropriate!), and you can also see the all-over ruching better:

Express Mock Neck Ruched Sweater Dress, Turtleneck dress, Fantasia Blue dress, cobalt

As Express rolls out their holiday dresses, this one first caught my eye thanks to Haute Canada. I posted about it in Style Inspirations and was excited to come across it in store recently:

Express Metallic Jacquard Fit and Flare Dress, Holiday Dress, Party Dress, Blue Dress

The Metallic Jacquard Fit and Flare Dress looks really nice in the stock photo, and you can see a somewhat metallic sheen to it. But it's even better in person and has a magical, glittery quality to it that I tried to capture here:

Express Metallic Jacquard Fit and Flare Dress, Holiday Dress, Party Dress, Blue Dress

Here's a full picture, and for me it ran true-to-size. I also felt like the flare factor was more dramatic in person than in the stock photo. If you want a beautiful, flattering holiday party dress that's not just another LBD, this one is worth seeing in person.

Express Metallic Jacquard Fit and Flare Dress, Holiday Dress, Party Dress, Blue Dress

I've mentioned the Khaki Green Stretch Cotton Jacket twice in Style Inspirations (HERE and HERE) and both bloggers who wore this made it look fabulous.

Express Khaki Green Stretch Cotton Jacket, Military Jacket, Field Jacket, Green Jacket, Army Jacket

I also wanted a Military/Field jacket for fall, but the website reviews were mixed on this, with several reviewers saying it ran large and boxy. I tried an XS on, and here's how it looked:

Express Khaki Green Stretch Cotton Jacket, Military Jacket, Field Jacket, Green Jacket, Army Jacket

I think it's safe to say that if I end up writing a review for this one on Express.com, it will also include the words "big" and "boxy," because that's really the best way to describe it.

It does have pull strings inside that you can use to cinch the waistline, but I couldn't cinch it enough to give it a defined waist without making it look really bunchy everywhere else. This one was a miss for me, but I know some people prefer a less fitted look to allow for more layers, so you might still want to try it for yourself.

In browsing sweaters online, I noticed my new Zippered Marled Boucle Mini Skirt had been paired with this Color Block Bateau Neck Sweater for the product photo:



Thanks for the outfit idea, Express! Since I already had the skirt I figured I might as well try on the sweater:

Express color block sweater, black and white, textured tartan plaid mini skirt

A couple of things to note on this sweater: one, it runs a little big. I'm wearing an XS here, and usually that size is pretty fitted on me (see the sweater dress above!). I liked the slightly slouchy fit, but you may want to adjust your sizing depending on the look you want. Secondly, it's a very thin, almost sheer sweater. That's okay for my climate, but if you live somewhere cold you'll have to plan on layering for warmth.

And yes, I couldn't get the Tartan Plaid Mini Skirt off my mind so I tried it on again with the sweater above. (I first tried it HERE.)  Maybe I'm crazy or maybe it's because I was wearing boots instead of flats that day so more of my legs were covered, but this time it didn't seem as short to me. I think I'll take some reader suggestions from last time and add tights or leggings, because this skirt was just too cute to pass up.

Leave me a comment to let me know if there's something from Express you were inspired to try or buy! And of course, thanks for reading and I'd be very flattered to have you follow along via Bloglovin, Facebook, or Twittter! (All links to the right!)

CONVERSATION

17 comments:

  1. I love that sweater dress. I tried it on in store last week but it was too short for me as well. The second dress is pretty. It would be a great holiday dress. Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Sydney! Yes, the sweater dress would definitely have to be a date night/night out type thing only for me if I end up getting it! I'm still hunting for something similar that's a little longer and would work for everyday/casual wear. :)

      Delete
  2. that sparkly blue dress is perfection! Such a lovely piece for a holiday party or NYE!

    The Style Scribe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love that it's blue instead of black. Plus, it's long enough that it can work for more conservative office parties, too.

      Delete
  3. I love that sweater dress! I am planning on going on a major shopping spree there on Wednesday of next week to take advantage of the Black Friday deals. I want the sweater dress, the sequin pencil skirt, the red long sleeve open back dress, probably another scarf, the heart print tunic sweater... seriously my wish list goes on and on!!
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a never-ending wishlist there, too. I'm counting on Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals to help knock out a good chunk of it!

      Delete
  4. Both dresses pictured on you look gorgeous! The first fits you perfectly, and the second is amazing for the holidays! Express knows how to make a little dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, they do! And thanks for the nice compliments. :)

      Delete
  5. umm you have officially made me want to go to Express! well played

    love from San Francisco,
    Britt+Whit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm not sorry!! :) And I seem to recall they had a recent grand opening of a store in SF so no excuses for you two!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'd say you always end up expanding my wish lists! These posts are so dangerous for me! That cobalt dress is amazing on you - PLEASE tell me you got it! And I laughed out loud at the military jacket. Holy whoa is that huge! Thanks for all your sleuthing!
    -Carylee
    morepom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to hide from you, but I actually didn't get the blue dress! I don't have any upcoming events where it would make sense for me to wear it, so for now my wallet's safe on that one!

      Delete
  7. Did you try on the sweater dress in the gray color? In the reviews, people mention that the blue one is shorter and tighter than the other colors. I'm wondering if the gray would be more office party appropriate.

    You look amazing in all of these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachael. :) I didn't try the gray color, so unfortunately I can't compare sizing across colors. I'd trust the reviewers on this one though! Although when I said the blue one was not office appropriate, I mostly meant daytime-at-work. For an office party you could probably get away with the blue one if you wore tights. If the gray one actually IS longer, that should be safe!

      Delete
  8. I actually bought that navy metallic jacquard dress. If I wear it for NYE, do you have suggestions for the shoe color I should pair with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun!! Personally I'd probably wear it with a nude/metallic/gold strappy sandal, like one of these:
      From Express
      From Nordstrom
      From Macy's
      Another from Macy's

      Good luck choosing!

      Delete
    2. Shoes are my downfall, so this will be interesting :) Thanks for your suggestions!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I sincerely appreciate each and every one and always do my best to answer questions promptly!